New to lasers

kooter

Enlightened
Im new to lasers, and have just bought a "wicked 60mw green laser". Do i need to use protective eyewear when using it?. How much more powerful than cheap toy lasers is it?. Any advice on anything about lasers much appreciated. :grin2:

Ashton

Enlightened
Yes, and 20. ;)

ok, to be mroe specific, a laser pointer is rated at <5mw, this is consideed safe because one can blink before damage occurs, so anything over 5mw needs protective goggles (unelss you're using it for astronemy, in which case, you're only pointing it at the sky and there's not hcance of reflection.

Keep in mind, anything at all refective can cause damage. even window glass: 10% refelection, 60mw/10 =6mw, 6 > 5, so it can cause damage! Though for a green laser you can get dewalt laser goggles for ~$10 I believe (thread somewhere below)

And, as said above, the "toy" pointers are 5mw, so your 60 is 60/5=20. it's 20x more pwoerful than a pointer. This sounds impressive, but you'll soon want a 100mw, then a 200mw, and before long, you'll be on ebay bidding on several-hundered-dollar 40-80 Watt CO2 lasers *smiles innocently* lol. Be warned, you just started an expensive and addictive hobby.

kooter

Enlightened
Thanks Ashton. :grin2: I had better get looking for these googles.

I dont need another expensive addictive hobby. I already have several, what have i started. :ohgeez:

Ashton

Enlightened
kooter said:
I dont need another expensive addictive hobby. I already have several, what have i started. :ohgeez:

lol, tell me about it, I do computer work, so 1 of my hobbies is self-paying, but then I got into lasers, and Also amature SFX work, not to mention a dozen other minor hobbies that are far from free...

It's sad, in a way... ohw ell. Glad I could help! and be careful with your new toy (remember with a lens you can burn stuff with it! and IIRC even w/o a lens you can pop sharpied baloons!)

Ashton

Enlightened
*rolls eyes* always a nitpicker, just because I'm bad at math... *mutters*

sorry, dont know what I was thinking, but I had the forumla right, atleast! *uneasy laugh*

I agree with ashton - you'll soon want a stronger laser. I suggest the EnVee from LucentOptics (Lucentoptics.com). great price, very solid, uses AA batteries. I have no affiliation with them.

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
60 will pop black balloons, but you won't really burn anything. Sorry to burst your balloon, but all you'll be able to do is punch small holes in electrical tape and trash bags. You won't light matches.

kooter

Enlightened
John, i cant justify the cost of it right now. Im having fun with the one i have, but sometime soon, i will NEED an upgrade im sure. :naughty: :grin2:

StevieRay

Enlightened
Johnawesley said:
Kooter,

Get the EnVee you won't be dissapointed. I have one and feel it's the best!

John...

Hey John,

I tried to PM you and your mailbox is full. Check your hotmail.

Steve

Johnawesley

Newly Enlightened
Kooter,

I understand that. Money is tight these days but when you can afford to get one, check on the EnVee. It has all of the safety features and is built very well and takes AA batteries instead of AAA's. Unless you have seen a 90mw or greater Green Laser before, it will be the most impressive sight you have seen in a Green Laser. Especially at night. A solid very bright beam of Green Laser light. Beautiful!! I can see the beam in lessened daylight indoors no problem.

Steve,

Go ahead and PM me when you can. I have been out all day and just got back. I deleted some of my PM's to make room.

Last edited: