Which Orb Raw to buy?

JasonK

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I would really welcome some advice on which Orb Raw to buy.

The questions I have are

1, Is it worth buying the titanium version over the standard aluminium version?

The reason I ask this, is I like to buy something that will stay looking good and as unmarked as possible during ordinary use. If there won't be much difference in terms of wear or strength, then I would gravitate towards the lesser cost option. If the titanium version is without doubt better wearing, less easy to scratch etc, then I would likely go for this option.

2, How many tritrium locators should I have added and which colour? Options are 1, 3, 4 & 5. Colours are blue or green. Not into mixing colours.

These are £6 each, so cost versus benefit is a factor. Also, does anyone know how hard wearing these locator lights are in conjunction with this torch? How many are OTT?

3, Any reccomendations on which 2 stage power / light output setup to go for?

Options are 15low / 80high, 80low / 120high or 15low / 120high. I know it'll depend a lot on what I want to use the light for, but I am asking what is the best overall every day use option.

4, If I buy the titanium version, I am looking to spend upwards of £170.00. Before I commit to this, is there anything else I should be considering? Main consideration is a hard wearing, very small torch with cool factor, that will last a long time. Becoming classic, rather than obsolete in the future.

Sorry so many questions. If anyone is a Raw Orb owner and is able to comment from experience, this would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance for all your replies and advice :)

Cheers,
Jason

Phredd

Enlightened
What a coincidence. I just looked at the Orbs for the first time last night, also trying to decide which to buy. I like the Raw because it uses the standard CR2 battery, but I searched and found that it will not hold up to wear. It also doesn't have o-rings for water protection.

The Orb NS seems to solve the durability and water issues, but only uses rechargeable batteries. I think I read that rechargeable lithiums don't have a good shelf life, which might make them poor candidates for traveling. Even the Orb Ti and Orb Silver use only rechargeables.

As for the tritium vials, I recommend getting three so you can see at least one from any angle.

Does anyone know if the Orb Raw can be finished, polished or anodized to make it more durable?

Phredd

JasonK

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I did consider a Raw NS, but then found out that they're not currently available and are unlikely to be available for a couple of months, as stock has run out and new is due to be manufactured.

This info was sent to me direct, from the Orb website.

I would much prefer a Raw NS (smaller size, look pretty good), but can't find one anywhere.

Anyone got one for sale? I'm a UK member.

Thanks,
Jason

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two points to rectify:
I think I read that rechargeable lithium's don't have a good shelf life,

Not true, Li-ions have very low discharge rates & will sit on the shelf for many months with out loosing next to nothing.

Raw NS unlikely to be available for a couple of months.

Half true, We are out of stock of the Raw NS. Production of a new batch will be in April & I expect to have stock again before the end of April.

:thanks:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always think of my two ORB RAWs as pocket jewels rather than everyday lights. The High is the 'WOW' factor and the low is the practical one, so I would always go for the brightest high.

Both raws feel great and the NS is a good one to get, even if you have to wait. One is certainly on my must buy list of lights.

The rechargeable batteries ORB supplies are great with a very good shelf life of a few months with little self drain. Not a problem. The Raw,which can use CR2 primaries, also is dimmer with them but with a longer runtime?

They are lovely lights and I would think you wouldn't be dissappointed.

I'm beginning to sound like a salesman for ORB. Should I just mention I love ARC's too!

Be lucky.//

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh one more fact. As the Raw series are bare metal the user can bring back to looking like new with a polish up. Not the case with a coating of any kind.
There may be Character Dings..

robm

Enlightened
Also, does anyone know how hard wearing these locator lights are in conjunction with this torch?

Not very hard wearing if kept on keyring with keys :( - but then I tend to know where my keys are, so not a problem for me :)

Ned-L

Enlightened
robm said:
Not very hard wearing if kept on keyring with keys
frown.gif
- but then I tend to know where my keys are, so not a problem for me
smile.gif
I just made up my mind to order an Raw XR-E with one tritium vial for a new keychain light. If I actually keep in on my keychain with the few keys I have are you saying that I can expect it to break sooner than later?

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have wanted to approach the subject of attaching Light to keychains for a while. Here Goes. :ohgeez:

Why? Keys are the most important thing on your Key Chain. Keys are generally made from Steel or hard metal with edges.
So Why? Put a really nice Flashlight / Torch along side all that metal that will to any Light Ruin its new looks.

I may use my Lights in a different manner to the majority :shrug:
I keep my light in my pocket all the time away from Keys Coins etc, No worries if occasional contact with other foreign items. But not permanently clattering with other hard metal...
My other strong valid point even if in the wrong Thread / Topic. I do not always have my keys with me. So Why? Why? Put your brand spanking new light with your Keys?

Now I have that of my chest I will start a new thread with this topic.

:thanks:

Oh Answer to question: If I actually keep in on my keychain with the few keys I have are you saying that I can expect it to break sooner than later?

No not likely Break. But it will look used.

Ned-L

Enlightened
I am convinced. I have changed by "keychain light" carrying approach. I just ordered a Raw XR-E a few minutes ago :) and plan on carrying it in my left front pants pocket (keys are in the right front pocket).

I need to find one of those paracord lanyards with a knobby end so that I don't loose the light. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A CPFer OR OTHER SOURCE FOR THEM?

Rob, can you give me a guestimate of when my new Raw should make it to Florida? Thanks, Ned

Patriot

Flashaholic
Jason K, hello! :)

I'm happy with the 15 low, 120 high option. I usually either need enough light to get around in a dark stucture and for small tasks, or I need a whole bunch of 'hey! what's over there' light. I like the option of having a really decent run time.

I think that you'd be satisfied with three tritium inserts. With three, you'll always be able to see at least one of them no matter which way it's facing. With only one insert you have to intentionally face the tritium towards you in order to find it in the dark, such as on a night stand.

The titianum will be more resistance to scratches but it will still scratch. My orb Ns to me is more like pocket jewerly also. I don't really understand people who purchase the Orbs purely as rough and tumble work lights. There are stronger and cheaper choices out there for everyday beaters. IMO the Orbs are more of a 'performance with art' kinda pocket light. If you don't already have an everyday beater light, I'd get one of those first. :)

robm

Enlightened
I keep my light with my keys, as I always have my keys with me - so always have my light. If the light was not attached, I know it would not always go with me.

As for light surface scratches - it is a light, not a piece of jewelry (at least to me), as long as the scratches don't impact performance (which they do not - the lens is fine as it is held away from the keys), then that is not a problem for me. I am not interested in lights I need to 'cotton wool'. If I wanted something just to look nice I would buy a <insert nice looking useless thing>

Unless you (Orb) are suggesting that your lights are not robust enough for real world use? :D

To clarify - it is only the tritium locator that is broken (not really a surprise - thin glass vial + keys and coins) - the light itself is fine, and I am quite happy to keep it with my keys - until I get a Wee which I can abuse in the same way.

JasonK

Newly Enlightened
Apologies to Orb. It is a testimonial to the popularity and quality of these flashlights, that demand can outweigh supply. I mistakenly thought the wait for a Raw NS was longer than it actually is :ohgeez:

I have today placed an order :sold: for an Orb NS and am really looking forward to it arriving. I know it'll be well worth the short wait.

No doubt I shall be ordering an Orb Raw Ti in the near future, but for now I like the fact that the Orb NS is hard wearing, smaller and is water resistant.

Now, how to make the days pass more quickly..... :thinking:

Tightgroup

Newly Enlightened
I carry a Raw NS with three trits often, and it has not let me down yet. If your going to carry alot, buy one extra battery! Great light....

Todd

Phredd

Enlightened
JasonK said:
No doubt I shall be ordering an Orb Raw Ti in the near future, but for now I like the fact that the Orb NS is hard wearing, smaller and is water resistant.

The web site shows the Ti and NS are identical in size: 1.77 x .71, though the Ti takes a (larger?) RCR2 battery. Does anyone know if the Ti will also take a non-rechargeable CR2 battery?

Phredd

s.duff

Enlightened
while I like the nicer metals, I have been very happy with my standard Orb. I carry mine in the plastic tube that is provided with it. BUT I need to say that I think I am going to be ordering another since I see they are doing CREE now too :)

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phredd said:
The web site shows the Ti and NS are identical in size: 1.77 x .71, though the Ti takes a (larger?) RCR2 battery. Does anyone know if the Ti will also take a non-rechargeable CR2 battery?

Phredd
The Raw Ti takes the 14250, Not the PRCR2.

Phredd

Enlightened
orb said:
The Raw Ti takes the 14250, Not the PRCR2.

I guess I was confused because of the optional RCR2 battery on the Raw Ti page:

"£5.00 - 0 - Extra RCR2 Lithium Ion Rechargeable Batteries"

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, We will alter that on the site to make clearer. :thanks:

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
JasonK said:
Hello,

I would really welcome some advice on which Orb Raw to buy.

Jason

Save yourself the pain and agravation of not having one or the other and buy them all...Join the club, we'll undestand I have 3 one on the way and waiting for the Wee:naughty: