ARC LS Battery holder Alloy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter- Are you sure that all your battery holders are the same alloy?

The reason that I ask this, is that when I was welding the threaded sections of your LS battery holders to my fabricated battery holders for JonSidneyB's C & D cell holders, I noticed that the 123 holder SEEMED to have a significantly lower melting point than the Single AA battery holder.

The reason that I mention this is because it MIGHT have some bearing on the QC difficulties (and different colors) that you seem to be having on the single AA holders.

Since different Al alloys can have a significant effect on anodizing results, I thought that maybe the single AA holders might have a higher iron, nickel or manganese (or something) content, hence the higher melting point and perhaps resulting in your anodizing problems.

I only welded with the 123 and single AA holder, so I can't say if the double AA holder would have exhibited similar characteristics to the 123 OR the single AA holder.

Just a thought, and I hope it helps.....

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. Yes, we had some 2024 get in there by accident.

It was actually miss-labeled from the metal supplier. Not sure how the machine shop missed it. The plater spotted it, the machine shop denied it, the tests confirmed it. I wacked the responsible parties, new stock was ordered, problem solved.
smile.gif

That was 2 months ago. Old challenge. We now have new challenges just to keep things fresh and exciting.
smile.gif

Peter Gransee

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, Well, Glad you figured it out, and sorry my input is too late to be any benefit.

At least I'm not imagining things again
rolleyes.gif

If you have a some of the wrong alloy holders you want to sell cheap, let me know- I don't care what condition they are in as long as the threads are *OK* (for building alternative battery packs).

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I have two LS seconds now and the first came with a 1 X AA holder that has a 1" OD and the recent arrival has a reduced OD; similar to the 2 X AA, only shorter. I had purchased an additional 1 XAA from a CPF member prior to realizing that there are two styles and now don't now what to expect when I get it. Which version is the current offering?

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 1AA with the reduced diameter tail is the latest version and should start appearing in kits, etc.

We may be discontinueing this pack or only selling it as a limited item.

Peter

Ron Schroeder

Enlightened
Peter,

How much is the diameter of the 1AA holder reduced? I hope it is not as small as the 2AA since I like to bore the 1AA holder out to A size. I am now running a single A N-MH or a single A Li-ION in mine. The Li-ION is real bright. Brighter than a 123 or 2 AAs, even a little brighter than the Lithium AAs.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Ron,
I can confirm that the new 1X AA holder has the same OD as the 2X AA holder. I'm hoping that the one I ordered from a CPF member is the old style. This holder has alot of beef to it and can be bored out like you say. Where did you get the Li-Ion battery and assuming that it is rechargeable; how do you charge it? I love the weight of these batteries and the fact that they seem to hold a charge much longer than NiMH. Please advise.

Thanks,
Don

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ron, if the new holders aren't the size you need, I can make you a custom holder in any size you need. Please contact me off list if you are interested (email or PM).

Doug.

Ron Schroeder

Enlightened
Hi McGizmo,

Fortunatly, I have one extra origional style 1AA battery holder that I got from Peter. I am not sure yet what I will do with it. Probably bore it out and save it for when I get a "First".

The cells came from a Qualicomm cell phone pack. One of the ways that I charge them is with a homebrew charger that uses a Maxim Li-ION charger chip.

Unfortunatly, the LS thread size is a little too small to bore out to fit 18mm 4/3 "fat" A cells. I have quite a few of them at 4500mAh. Of course, I would have to make a pack from scratch since they are longer than AA cells. Due to the thread size, I would have to use the slightly smaller 17mm cells at 4000mAh which I only have 2 of.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by McGizmo:
Ron,
I can confirm that the new 1X AA holder has the same OD as the 2X AA holder. I'm hoping that the one I ordered from a CPF member is the old style. This holder has alot of beef to it and can be bored out like you say. Where did you get the Li-Ion battery and assuming that it is rechargeable; how do you charge it? I love the weight of these batteries and the fact that they seem to hold a charge much longer than NiMH. Please advise.

Thanks,
Don
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ron Schroeder

Enlightened
Hi Doug,

Sent PM

Ron

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DSpeck:
Ron, if the new holders aren't the size you need, I can make you a custom holder in any size you need. Please contact me off list if you are interested (email or PM).

Doug.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Status
Not open for further replies.