Remember Tekna lights?

Danbo

Enlightened
I remember these pretty high quality lights from the late 70s. In fact, I still have my old 4 AA version sitting around somewhere in the house.

At the huge Tulsa gun/knife show last weekend( I swear, you can find ANYTHING there!), I noticed a larger version of my old light on somebody's table. This one used 8 AA batteries, and it appeared unused. So, I asked the lady behind the table how much she wanted for it. Taking my wallet out and preparing to pay $20 or so, I was amazed to hear her say, "how about $5?" :) Needless to say, I bought the light. Even better, was when she reached under the table to grab the original box. Evidently, this light was bought new and never used, as it doesn't appear to have ever had batteries in it. :)

After putting in brand new alkaline AAs, I am happy to report that the light works great! But, I just know there HAS to be a better incan bulb that I can put into this light. This is where you experts can hopefully help me out. ;)

What modern bulb can I use in this light?

Patriot

Flashaholic
I can't help with the bulb Danbo, but it sounds like you made a nice score. I still have my yellow Tenka light. It had a nice reflector and a good focused throw with even spill light. It was one of the first compact lights to match the output of a 4D mag but had a better beam. I'm glad that I kept mine. Let me know what bulb you come up with, because I might replace mine also.

gunga

Flashaholic
Wow, I used to have one of those tekna 2's Dim as ever, but man it was tough.

Too bad a dim replacement LED buld is $18!

Guess you really can't go home after all these years...

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the link nightshade. I've still got the last of a series of Tekna Lite 2s I EDCed during the 80s at sea. I still have a filmcan full of 222s and a few flattened spring terminals from 6V lantern batts that I always used for the negative contact.

They were good lights for their day -- totally unphased by salt water and really rough handling. I pretty much beat one into submission every 18 months or so. It was a great light to have in your pocket, attached to your belt with a wrist lanyard. I always felt that if I was in the tropics and survived the impact of going overboard my Tekna would be my only chance of being seen after sundown. I never had a doubt about those lights. I beat the hell out of them every day.

Last edited:

nightshade

Enlightened
Build quality was a real plus on the Tekna lights. Virtually all 2AA lights were dim 20+years ago.

Sub, you are welcome. :) I ordered another recently. She told me there were only a limited number left.

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
Any of you guys need some bulbs? I have a few lieing around and have no use for them.

Just not sure how much shipping is for those...

h_nu

Enlightened
I have the lens and reflector but can't find the body for my Tekna Microlith. My brother still has his 4AA and 8AA Tekna lights. I couldn't afford them back then. I'm making up for it since I discovered CPF.