Flashlight Size

dyee

Newly Enlightened
Am I missing anything with not having a small light (single cr123 or less)? Whenever I look for a light I seem to want a single cell light but always seem to get a 2 or more cell sized light, with the features I want. Do you see any advantage of a single cell vs a 2 cell light? The only thing I can think of is they are a little more comfortable to pocket.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
dyee said:
...The only thing I can think of is they are a little more comfortable to pocket.
..which means you might have it with it you when you need it instead of having left it back at home...

Last edited:

EssLight

Newly Enlightened
The only advantage I see for a single cell light is the easier to pocket issue.

A 2 cell light is likely to be brighter, and/or have longer runtime, if it is small enough to carry for you, there is no reason to go smaller.

Oh, wait, I forgot about bragging "my light is smaller than yours but still as bright (or brighter)".

EssLight

redledz

Newly Enlightened
I think a practical reason would be for an emergency type pack or hiking. The single cells tend to be less expensive and take less space for that as well and can have very long run times. For many I would I guess it is the EDC-able aspect of it. Honestly, I just like to play with them :)

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the feel of 2 or even 3 cell lights in my hand better, I just feel like I am holding on to a real flashlight...not to mention runtime. That being said, having another light on your person-even if it is just a keychain light-is kind of comforting. I like single cell lights, but mainly for backup.

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
With a one cell light you don't have the issue of a good cell trying to charge up a depleted cell, which can be a safety problem with certain kinds of batteries.

BTW, all of the lights that I travel with, either on my person or in a briefcase are single cell lights.

Last edited:

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
The advantage is that you can have it attached to your keys, so you will never forget
to take it with you when you go out

Patriot

Flashaholic
I'm also more of a 2 cell 123 person in the form of an L4 or even shorter FB2 body with SF head of some type. Two cell AAs on the other hand are just too long for me as far as EDC lights go.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
woodrow said:
I like the feel of 2 or even 3 cell lights in my hand better, I just feel like I am holding on to a real flashlight...not to mention runtime. That being said, having another light on your person-even if it is just a keychain light-is kind of comforting. I like single cell lights, but mainly for backup.

I have fairly large hands so all of the 1AAA and most of the 1AA lights are too short to fit my hand properly. They are difficult for me to grasp and use effectively. I do like them as keychain and backup lights.

A few of the longer 1AA lights fit well enough in my hand that using them feels natural and comfortable.

2AAA lights are the perfect size for me, both for EDC and ergonomically for my hand to use effectively.

2AA lights are just a bit too big for me to EDC, but feel great in my hand and are easy to use.

defusion

Enlightened
1cell is just to small to fit in your hand comfortably. i wouldn't want to dig into my pockets to find it.
i use my fenix l2d-ce for EDC, and it's perfect. long enough to stay straigt in my pockets, and thin enough to not notice it's there until you need it.
i don't have a 2x cr123 light yet, just a 3cell, so maybe that would be even better. i plan on getting the surefire g2 as a handout/emergency light, so until then i can't comment on it's pocketability.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another advantage of a single cell light is the safety factor.
2 or more Lithium cells are more risky than a single cell light.

Best regards

____
Tom

ScooterBug

Enlightened
i carry my A2 everywhere and have a LOD on key ring. i have a few single cell lights and like them alot but don't carry them much.:)

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
dyee said:
Am I missing anything with not having a small light (single cr123 or less)? Whenever I look for a light I seem to want a single cell light but always seem to get a 2 or more cell sized light, with the features I want. Do you see any advantage of a single cell vs a 2 cell light? The only thing I can think of is they are a little more comfortable to pocket.
For items you carry, size matters -- that's why many people prefer smaller/lighter cell phones, ipods, laptop computers, etc.

Size/weight isn't so important for a flashlight you leave in the car or toolbox until needed. So there are various usage scenarios.

A single cell CR123A light packs a good amount of performance into a small package. At the high discharge rates typical of LED flashlights, a single CR123A has more storage capacity than two alkaline AAs.

2x CR123A lights are more difficult to safely convert to rechargeable use. A few can like the Surefire U2 can takes a 18650 or 17670 cell, which is essentially twice the length of two CR123As.

By contrast, many (though not all) 1x CR123A lights can use a rechargeable RCR123A cell. If you use a light much, buying 2x CR123A primary cells every operational hour can get expensive.

2x CR123A lights usually have more output and/or run time. However newer emitters (e.g, Cree XR-E, SSC P4) are so efficient that a single cell CR123A light has sufficient output/runtime for many applications.

Those same advances may reduce the need for 1x CR123A lights in favor of 1x and 2x AA lights. E.g, the Fenix L1D-CE and L2D-CE. They have many output/runtime options, using your choice of alkaline, rechargeable NiMh or Lithium AAs: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_l1dce-l2dce.htm

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
My current EDC is a CR 2 Ion. I like small bright lights, because I will always have it on me! I keep a SF E1e in my jacket. I own 5 SF E1e's; it is my favorite incan. light.

alanagnostic

Enlightened
I prefer the feel of 2 cell lights in my hand but my current favorite light is my HDS U60. It 's just so versatile and is always on me. Weight and size are important to me...I already have too much in my pockets and on my belt.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is the breakdown:

1- 1 cell lights are easier to carry, can be just as bright if they are LED's, but less runtime.

2- 2 cell lights are only better for longer runtimes which I carry only if I know that I need to run the light for a long time.

For longer runtime you end up looking for alternatives in the LED lights such as 18650 batteries.

The TRUTH is that you won't be satisfied until you buy EVERYTHING :).

I personally prefer the 1 cell lights.

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
defusion said:
..i plan on getting the surefire g2 as a handout/emergency light, so until then i can't comment on it's pocketability.
I have a G2, but I wouldn't carry it in my pocket. It's just a bit too long (about 5") and thick (1-1/4" at the head) for EDC. Something like the E1e, less than 3-1/2" long and about 1" thick at its widest, is better, at least for me.