PT Apex Pro runtime results with RCR123's...

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wanted to let you guys know I have almost finished my runtime testing with my recently aquired PT Apex Pro headlamp. I am running it on 2xRCR123's(3.7V), so I wanted to get an idea for runtime as it does not give you any warning running protected cells before they shut off. Here are my results so far....

All levels are fully regulated the entire run according to my light meter:

LuxIII:
high ~50min
low ~3hr

5mm LED's:
high ~3.5hrs
low: have not done yet, guessing it would be around 7hrs or so.

Batteries used were AW's protected 3.7V RCR123's(the older blue ones). If I ever get around to actually testing the low for the 5mm LED's, I will dig up this post and update it. I am extremely pleased with my Apex Pro, I think the thing that suprised me the most was the tint of the emitter. The only light in my collection that is warmer is my UV1J PD......it has to be a U-bin of some sort for sure....a nice "warm" white! Isn't it terrible that I am already thinking about swapping in an SSC P4 emitter :grin2:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Strauss:)

The "U" at the LuxIII binning stands for the brightness, not for the tint:whistle:

I'm a little astonished about the 50 minutes runtime on high with 2xRCR's?

It seems, that the driver isn't really efficient and/or the vf of the Led is pretty high.
I would have estimated a longer runtime.
Swapping the Led to a SSC could be an advantage in view of brightness and runtime.

Best regards

_____
Tom

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Hendo:)

Because the light uses 2 of them. A Luxeon LuxIII with an estimated vf of 3,5Volts, driven at estimated 700mA consumes 2,45Watts.
One RCR123 LiIon has a capacity of 2,775Wh, 2 RCR's = 5,5 Wh.
Considering the driver inefficiency and perhaps a higher vf of the used Led, the runtime should be neverthless more than one hour.

All my single cell RCR123-lights (3,7V from member "AW", the same like Strauss's) are running 50minutes and more on high with LuxIII's.

Best regards

_____
Tom

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with you on that one Long John. I am not sure why it doesn't run longer, but thats that, 50min. I was thinking the exact same thoughts as you about my single RCR123 powered luxIII lights, that they usually run in the same range(45-1hr), so I figured the headlamp would get at least 1.5hrs....nope!

I guess it comes down to what you need. Runtime, buy the regular Apex. Lightweight, Apex Pro all the way :)

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Strauss, same thoughts:grin2:

Only a suggestion:

You can try if the light works with one RCR123 cell.
If so, you could create a batt.-holder for one 18650 cell (still lightweight and small) This way I guess you'll get a runtime of about 2 hours.

Very best regards

____
Tom

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
thank you very much for the runtime tests! I have been waiting for this!

About runtime on high....... If my HDS EDC can put out full regulation for 30 mins or so with one RCR123.... why is the PT Apex PRO running on 2xrcr123's supposed be more than 1 hour? Considering that the bin is a U than the VF is a J... so that makes sense to me...

Remember... regulation isn't as efficient as direct drive so your going to use up some of your batteries energy just in regulation.... so... I'd expect that if one switched to a SSC (with a lower Vf) you'll get 1 hour or more on high..... Keeping in mind the regulation, and the drive level...

So basically you'll get 200 Lumens for 1 hour with one set of batteries... thats not bad... considering that low will still be plenty bright with the SSC...

I've been deciding between the Pro and the AA version and I think as more functional the AA version is... the Pro's shear size and weight make it a more attractive option....

thanks again!

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
jar3ds said:
About runtime on high....... If my HDS EDC can put out full regulation for 30 mins or so with one RCR123.... why is the PT Apex PRO running on 2xrcr123's supposed be more than 1 hour? Considering that the bin is a U than the VF is a J... so that makes sense to me...

jar3ds, take a look at my math. A LuxIII U--J bin has a vf of 3,27-3,51. The runtime should be more with the capacity of the cells.
I tested my LuxV (WX0S-bin) Nuwai with one RCR123 and the runtime was about 30minutes, so it seems that the driver at this Apex and at your HDS isn't very efficient.

Best regards

_____
Tom

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
do we know that the apex is ran @ 700ma on high?

also, what Nuwai did you do your test on? I doubt the Nuwai you tested held a HDS/Apex style regulation for the entire 30mins. theres a big difference between a DD / low resistance output curve and a full regulated slope=0 output curve.... even a big difference between semi regulated and full regulation.. between driver and bad VF i think the runtime is quite logical...

my Surefire L2 w/ 1 rcr123 (DD) runs for barley 20mins and then starts dropping off pretty harsh... and thats with no driver loss at all....

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
jar3ds, my Nuwai isn't DD or semi regulated. It has a buck/boost driver with a flat discharge curve.
I don't own an Apex, so I couldn't measure the driving current but I doubt that the Led will see much more than 700mA.

I also don't own a SF L2, but I have build a headlamp with a LuxIII TX0H and a 1,3 Ohms resistor, driven by one RCR123 cell in DD. The runtime is about 1 hour very bright and then dimming.

And I own a Trilux Aleph3 light. 3xTX0H's, driven at 500mA with a BB500.