Will the regulation change in the Arc AAA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rather then throw another question in the new products for fall thread, I figured I would start a new one in hopes it will get answered.

Are there any plans to change the regulation in the ArcAAA to make it more fully regulated as in the plans to do so for the new LS's? In my observations, the current Arc AAA is even less regulated then the current LS. I would pay more for an Arc AAA that was fully regulated.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Great question. I've never really tested the regulation of either the LS or AAA, but I've heard many question the Sun/Moon mode claim. Most of the comments I've heard indicated that users have never really seen the drop-off you'd expect while switching to moon-mode.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
No changes are planned because we already offered a flat regulation version of the Arc-AAA earlier this year. We did only by request of a large customer. It wasn't too popular with the general public.

Btw, awhile back I wrote a long piece on regulation and how each Arc type is optomized.

Peter Gransee

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for answering Peter. I'm surprised at the lack of popularity with the general public. Unless the steady regulation caused the Arc AAA to be significantly dimmer, I would think it would be extremely popular.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just did. I wish I would have read your reply first before searching for it but I did finally find it. I encourage everybody to read this post.
If a lithium AAA was available for the Arc AAA, do you think it would provide a just as initial brightness if not more and yet flatten out the discharge curve?

John Frederick

Enlightened
Peter, how much dimmer was the fully-regulated AAA vs. the standard? How long was the run-time? I'm thinking that this might be a neat option next year for 2003 CPF edition. It would be more novel than just a different color. Thanks for putting up with our endless questions
smile.gif

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by geepondy:
Thanks for answering Peter. I'm surprised at the lack of popularity with the general public. Unless the steady regulation caused the Arc AAA to be significantly dimmer, I would think it would be extremely popular.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The steady regulation will cut the runtime significantly not the brightness unless the regulation circuit were tuned to do so. This is especailly true on aaa which has so little capacity.

Alan

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I've read most of the arc posts for the last year, but I don't ever remember a flat regulated arc being offered to the general public, or us at CPF for that matter. So how do you know whether it would be popular or not?

Darell

Flashaholic
I'm gonna second what Cave Dave just asked. This went like a shot over my head. Just which part of the general public were these offered to? And what the heck are you doing offering them to the general public, if not being offered to us? Hmmm? Fess up now.

I know lots of people who'd buy a fully regulated unit. Six of my last five purchases were fully regulated lights! I'll buy ten right now if you'll let me! Wait - make that 20. Seriously, you know how I am!

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
My latest purchases are badboy green, Madmax and Arc SLS 500ma. Ordered but not shipped are 2 x KL1 and 1 KL3. Will be ordering when available are 2 x Badboy 500 and SF A2.

All of above (9) are fully regulated. I don't know if fully regulated are popular for general public or not.

Alan

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Madmax: Pseudo Voltage regulation. Set for a voltage regulation of 5V which it never achieves and runs wide open. This generates less current output as the battery voltage falls and thus is not a true voltage regulator."

Darell

Flashaholic
The Badboy is the current-regulated deal.

Yeah, I'm full of neat tricks, Treek! The secret is that they were not all unique lights, and a Badboy or two was included.... and some Newbeams... and the KL1

Darell

Flashaholic
Now... back to this comment:

Originally posted by Gransee:
we already offered a flat regulation version of the Arc-AAA earlier this year. We did only by request of a large customer. It wasn't too popular with the general public.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by darell:
I'm gonna second what Cave Dave just asked. This went like a shot over my head. Just which part of the general public were these offered to? And what the heck are you doing offering them to the general public, if not being offered to us? Hmmm? Fess up now.

I know lots of people who'd buy a fully regulated unit. Six of my last five purchases were fully regulated lights! I'll buy ten right now if you'll let me! Wait - make that 20. Seriously, you know how I am!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">They where offered as a possible option earlier this year but since not enough people showed interest, we never went beyond the two prototypes.

Earlier in the year, the prototypes were sent to three different testers including Craig so people could know exactly how they performed.

The XR version is a bit more expensive for us to production tool than say a different anodize or LED color. As a result, minimum orders must be higher (1k units).

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.