Got my First SLS and Arc AAA

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

**DONOTDELETE**

I recently purchased an Arc SLS off of E-bay (#883), and I am amazed! I noticed a light pea-green tint, but admit that I don't care. It's a remarkable light. I'm equally impressed with the Arc AAA (newest one: 3.1?) Where do I go from here? Is there anything else I should get? Am I sick for wanting more? How do I justify it? Should I get a first? Should I wait for the second generation? Oh God.... Help.... I think I may be addicted.
shocked.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
I donno, how much do you have to spend? People will say waiting for the Arc (LS anyway) to stableize is not wise because it is always changing, which is true. But some people (Hmmm, maybe myself) can only afford maybe 1 Arc LS for now so this person is waiting for a Rev 3 with dimmer. If it's 2 years before I get that, then I'll wait 2 years.

Excellent lights indeed though. The thing I like best about the Arc AAA is it's simplisity. Something the current LS also shares right now but will loose partially in the future, that's not bad though, it's just a tradeoff--simple reliable design for a tailcap. And I'm not saying that's a bad tradeoff, it's just a tradeoff.

Yup, get more, you at least need 2 AAAs I think. But before you get anything else head over to http://www.berkeleypoint.com and order yourself a few of their $4 Stainless Steel (Or SS) clips. Best accessory of the year I dare say
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I really don't have alot to spend, but somehow I tend to find a way. I would love to collect all types like I see some other members doing, but don't yet have the resources.
As for the Arc AAA, I can't believe I haven't gotten one of these sooner. All of my Solitaires are now obsolete. I've got a ls conversion from Wayne at Elektrolumens that's put my other 3D Mag out of business, and I'm waiting on a Madmax sandwich from Dat2zip to convert one of my numerous Mini-Mags. Like I said, I can't really afford this, but I'm apparently hooked. Unlike my previous obsessions (handguns, knives, hiking & biking gear), you can't have too many flashlights can you? I'll certainly try to get more Arc AAAs, and would like to get at least one more Arc-LS. I'm just not sure if I should try for a factory first first generation, second generation, or third. Or if I should get a factory first at all. I'm really pleased with this factory second that I have. Is there that much difference between the first and seconds? Thanks Saaby, and anyone else for any input.

Saaby

Flashaholic
On firsts and seconds comment I can not. On Arc AAA comment I can. It put my Solitare permanently (almost) out of comission as well. Should I ever need that "lighter" effect again (Take the cap off and push down on the bulb with thumb, kinda flick off and people think you have a lighter
smile.gif
useful for dances and such) maybe it will come out but the Arc is so much nicer
smile.gif
I had heard so many good things about it but then to actually get one, it's so small I was looking over all my flashlights the other day and the Solitare suddenly seemed so...big!
smile.gif

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unlike my previous obsessions (handguns, knives, hiking & biking gear), you can't have too many flashlights can you?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't know much about hikin' and bikin' but how can you NOT have too many knives and guns.
As the old question goes "How any guns do you have?" "More then I need and not as many as I want?" The same goes for knives and flashlights.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Touche. I just don't want to make the jump from enthusiast to "nut", even though I'm not quite sure when that happens. Most people don't view flashlights as dangerous weapons, although my big toe would beg to differ.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Saaby,
You weren't kidding! I put the Solitaire and Arc AAA side-by-side, and the Arc is significantly smaller, brighter, with a much more desirable quality of light. I even took an old AAA battery that had been dim in another Solitaire, put it into the Arc-AAA, and honestly couldn't tell the difference between it and the fresh battery. It's definitely a mini wonder!

Saaby

Flashaholic
Some peopel may argue that it's not nearly bright enough or what not but I think it's the perfect light. Period. Ok ok ok so there is no such thing as the perfect light but honestly, what else comes close? Arc LS? It's nice but isn't submersable, and is too expensive. Surefire E2? Bright for Sure(fire) but uses those expensive batteries. and on and on and on. The upcoming Surefire A2? Largly depending on price it might come close to being the perfect light but in my humble opinion the AAA will still be closer
smile.gif
ordered your SS Clips yet, they take the perfection a step further
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I haven't yet, but I did look and think I saw what you were talking about. I'm big on clips and accessories (clips for attaching the light to packs or even bike equip.) I'm sure I'll have to pick up at least a few of those. Thanks for the link.
grin.gif

I have never owned a SF, but am seriously considering an E2E. I try to educate myself by reading the thoughts and comments of other CPF'ers. Mags are really the only other incandescent lights that I have.
I would have to agree with most/all of your comments about the Arc AAA. For what it is, it might be near-perfect. I have to give it up for the Arc-LS though, Serious Light Output. I'll just have to be careful not to drop it in the lake.
wink.gif

d'mo

Enlightened
Originally posted by virgo:
Oh God.... Help.... I think I may be addicted.
shocked.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">1 John 1:5 "The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it."
Isaiah 9:2 "The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; On those living in the land of the shadow of death, a light has dawned."
Matthew 5:16 "In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."

It's good to be addicted to The Light
wink.gif

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
virgo. I have to say that the SF E2e is one of the best all around flashlight I have. Nice throw, bright,small, lightweight and tough.
My only problem is that I have been using the LS around the house alot lately and when I fire up an incandescent I see yellow in the beam but that is just me.
Good luck on whatever you choose.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Very cool d'mo! I especially like the first verse.
Sunspot, It will be my first SureFire. I see yellow in every incandescent I've seen. Especially the Mags that I used to be so partial to. I would love to have the E2E, but I'm wondering if I should just save the money to buy another Arc or something similar. I just can't stop playing with this Arc-ls. I walk around the house with the lights out illuminating everything I can!

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you ever see a Streamlight Ultra Stinger on tight focus, it looks white or at least very little yellow.
Unless you great need for two LS's, I think you should buy the E2e. Be advised that if you do, it could lead to bigger and brighter.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Somewhere here on CPF, I'm not sure where, I saw my first beamshots for a Surefire and for an Arc-ls. You're right, the beam from the surefire was focused tightly and looked almost white. (Not to mention bright as heck!) I had honestly never seen such a bright little light, but I can't remember what model it was. I do remember thinking that I wanted at least one of each. I buy alot from e-bay, and would like to buy from other CPFers. Could you tell me what they retail for, and how much I should give for one? Also, do some have better finishes? or is that just color preference? Thanks!

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am far from expert on SF's. I have the E1, E2e and three colors of 6P's.
AFAIK (open mouth, insert foot), the E2e comes in gunmetal grey, camo, black and natural HA (hard anodize). The E2e-HA can be had for $70 or so, plus shipping. Others can chime in here and help better then I.
btw, I am an ebayer (130) but I have found that sometimes I can beat the price elsewhere.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Just saw your post. Thanks! Going to check it out now.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Dang! That's the "cadillac" model isn't it? The elite's have the Pyrex lens? I really need to study the Surefire product line. There's alot more out there than I realized. That's pretty much the exact model I would like to start with, though. I'll do a Google search, but do you know what they retail for, Sunspot? Thanks.
P.s. What do you think of the E1?

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheap retail is about $70-75. Go to the SF site for MSRP. Google search will not help. Been there, done that. The best place for this kind of thing is right here at CPF.
I think the HA model is the best looking not to add the hardest finish. I am so sick of black torches, knives and guns.
That Ebay auction is the second cheapest price I have seen. There is another one on Ebay that is a little less. Do a Surefire search. I bid on a 6p to 9p kit today for $11. Got out bid in 30 miniutes. Went back and cranked up the price past what I wanted just to make the other bidder pay more. Sometimes I get so pithy.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for not slapping me. I had already asked you up top, and forgot. Looks like the HA model is the way to go. I'll try doing a search like you suggest.
Ha! I can relate, as I do the same thing on e-bay. My philosophy is.... if I can't have it for cheap, Neither is the other guy! I hate getting outbid when it's at a good price and I really want it. Thanks for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.