Picked up a Pelican M1 LED

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pelican M1 comments?

Been thinking of a 1x123 flashlight and this little M1 seems quite reasonable...any reviews or user comments?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Pelican M1 comments?

very good runtime and decent output for its size... but there are imperfections in the beam pattern.

-David

Flashlight Enthusiast

my opinion says:

+Good outpout for size
+Acceptable runtime for platform
+Good tint my samples have

-Average beam quality with flaws
-Lousy switch
-mediocre interior fit and finish

Overall

~Average value for the money. Servercable, but disapointing compared to the bigger brother M6 LED.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast

I did a mini-review in the LED section a few months ago with take apart pix. It's reasonable, but yes, the beam is pretty splotchy. It's also large compared to the best 1xCR123 lights.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was hoping that it would have been a smaller version of their M6. :( The search continues then. I'm hoping to find a reasonable solution around the $45 mark. Suggestions...maybe the Peak McKinley?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

maybe litepro Spitfire?

-David

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Pelican M1 LED (2310) any good.?

the older style is mediocre my opinion says.

the new style is excellent. get a new style model from battery station, and i predicts that you will be happy with a purchase.

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't know...

I only use factory new battereis, i recommend given battery station (or pelican) a call to confirm that you can use those batteries.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have one and I love it! I guess it's an old style - I got it about six months ago on sale at Sierra Trading Post. It has a side clicky that I like a lot - both for placement and for feel. I've been running 3.7v rechargeables in it and it works great [~4.2 right off the charger]. The light's regulation seems to take the extra voltage in stride, giving increased brightness. It does get warm, but not as hot as some other single cell lights using the 3.7v rechargeables.

The beam isn't perfectly smooth against a wall, but you don't notice any rings or artifacts in real life use. It's a great value and rugged too. Get some!

LiteFan

Enlightened

I just ordered one of the new styles...will report back

Here is some other info in case you missed it https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/128845

EDIT: report delayed campmor has an incorrect picture on their website that does not show the side clickie, but it is a side clickie. I am going to send it back and probably reorder from batterystation. I checked it out anyway:sssh: the beam quality is ok, has rings around the hotspot. Led is in the yellowish white category, no hint of blue.

Last edited:

Darknessnomore

Newly Enlightened
Read some good reviews about the Pelican M1 LED. I like the the looks and the side mounted switch as well as the price. Seems like a good light to me. Anyone else care for Pelican?

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my M1 with the side mounted switch. The newest version has the switch in the back. I think the LED is the same. The build quality is great and I really like the ergonomics of the side mounted switch. The beam isn't the cleanest when white wall hunting, but never noticed any variations in beam in real life situations. It has a great blend of flood and throw. I also like that it can tailstand. Tint is very good also.

I was wondering if the older version with the side switch is going to go on clearance somewhere.

Darknessnomore

Newly Enlightened
LED_Thrift said:
I love my M1 with the side mounted switch. The newest version has the switch in the back. I think the LED is the same. The build quality is great and I really like the ergonomics of the side mounted switch. The beam isn't the cleanest when white wall hunting, but never noticed any variations in beam in real life situations. It has a great blend of flood and throw. I also like that it can tailstand. Tint is very good also.

I was wondering if the older version with the side switch is going to go on clearance somewhere.

Here is where I got mine. Got an email right away with a USPS tracking number.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pelican-M1-Compact-Tactical-LED-Flashlight_W0QQitemZ8777775347QQihZ005QQcategoryZ106987QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI: Before I got 3.0v rechargable 123s from BatteryJunction, I used RCR123 3.7v rechargables in this quite a lot [at least a few hours]. It only gets a little brighter, which I take means the circuit board deals with the higher voltage and doesn't let it pass straight through to the LED. It does get warmer using the 3.7v cells. The 3.0v cells work great. If I get a few on clearance somewhere, I am going to put a Seoul or Cree in one.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pokerstud said:
I had a Seoul SSC P4 put in mine, fantastic little 1 cell, a perfect little brother to the Seoul'd M3 I have.

Did you need to modify the reflector? I put a Cree in a Dorcy Super 1 Watt and had to spend a lot of time to get the reflector right.

soffiler

Enlightened
I grabbed a Pelican M1 off the Sierra Trading Post site a while ago for $19.99 and I couldn't be happier with the value at that price. They are, however, long-gone from that clearance sale. This is the old-style M1, with side mount switch. I have no complaint with the beam but I should mention that I am not a white-wall hunter. The OP reflector gives what I consider a really nice usable beam pattern with a good hotspot and a nice smooth transition to sidespill. The driver gives good regulation for about 2:30. I have since swapped in a Cree with excellent results. It was a straightforward swap (once I got the batwing LuxI off the star, that is) with no need to mod the reflector. The famous ringiness in the Cree pattern is handled very effectively by the OP reflector. I also like the included holster, which has a stiffening rib to hold its shape. This has a fringe benefit of making it very hard to actuate the clicky while in the holster, and, the provision for a spare battery in the holster is a nice touch.

Overall, it's kind of large for a 1xCR123A light, and in my opinion too large to EDC in the pants pocket (that's what the P1D-CE is for) but on the upside it's large enough to notice in your hand where the P1D-CE kind of disappears. I like it enough that it's always with me in my briefcase/pack. Despite how much I like the holster I am not a holster-wearing kind of guy, but, it lashes handily to the outside of my pack. Anodize is type-II. Switch is reverse-clicky.