How I got infected

Lichtschalter

Newly Enlightened
Time to say "Hi everybody"!

After lurking around the forum several times a day for quite a while, it's time to tell my "how I got infected" story.

I've always liked flashlights (I remember one that I loved as a child because you could recharge it by plugging it directly into a power socket), but I was completely unaware of the wonderful world of CPF with all its beamshots, tons of information and people with a great sense of humor. So I'm more than happy to be a member now.

I came here by a reference in a German geocaching forum, where someone mentioned Fenix as top-notch lights in comparison to the 3D Mag, which is sort of a standard item in terms of geocaching equipment. The person posted a link to CPF, and from then on, I have been doomed.

About one year ago, I had bought my first Luxeon LED light at a local discount store (I later found out that it was a re-branded Dorcy Hawkeye) and I really liked it. After finding CPF, I started to dig in the archives and visited review sites like flashlightreviews.com. :popcorn:

Reading some threads in CPF, I quickly discovered the A2, upon which opinion divided - and still divides. JS's famous thread made me understand for the first time the marvel of flashlight design, development and construction. Reading the thread turned me into an A2 admirer. I printed out the whole thread and read it at least a dozen times. :)

However, I felt the A2 was quite expensive, so I started looking for other lights. I soon found the Fenix L2T which I really liked for its two-stage-output, small form factor, superior power (at that time, the Creevolution was only beginning) and the fact that it ran on normal AA cells.

I tried a few days to decide between the two lights, but I couldn't. On the one hand, I had a perfectly designed, beautiful, "one-of-a-kind" Surefire light which was a bit expensive even given the currently nice Euro/Dollar conversion rate. On the other hand, there was this solid, practical, every-day Fenix workhorse with great value.

Guess what I did? I followed CPFs first rule: When in doubt, buy both. :paypal:

I'm glad I did. Both are great lights and very versatile. However, I wasn't really into EDCing at that time, so when I was visiting my parents one day last November, we were caught in the big European blackout. My father started looking for his minimag (which produced little to no light at all running on old batteries), and I got the Dorcy Hawkeye out of my car. Needless to say my Dad was impressed by the LED performance - so I got him an L2T for Christmas. He was quite happy with that.

I currently EDC my L2T with a Nekomane CR123 body and it has been quite helpful on lots of situations. The A2 is kept for outdoor activities and will soon be upgraded to an A2A (Aviatrix). My first mod is building a 2D ROP, and while I'm waiting for the last parts to arrive, I have already pre-ordered a P3D from 4sevens.

I'm afraid this is not going to stop. But :thanks: for your patience in reading this! Any efforts for therapy appreciated.

Tom

cbubu

Newly Enlightened
Hi Lichtschalter,
willkommen ! but I'm not sure you will find a therapy here ... on the contrary you may become sicker and sicker (too much great lights!) :)
Regards,

sb0007

Newly Enlightened
quick! throw away your wallet and cut up your credit cards. runaway fast.... but with the fenix and surefire you possess now. we can see that its beyond hope... welcome to the gang of thin wallets but bright neighbourhood. :)

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there! Thanks for sharing. You are right, The best is to try it yourself. Of course, its gonna be expensive to try all but then again there is always B/S/T where you can offload those unwanted lights.........all the best.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome! The nearest thing to antibiotics for me have been my McLux III PD-S and my seoulmodded HDS U60. Both have staved off the infection however I am afraid that a new strain of the infection will rear its ugly head in the form of the Novatac U120. Have fun with your new toys

beer2beer

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF! Before your infection becomes permanent and pobably "lethal", I will tell you the only thing you can do to: AVOID THE B/S/T SECTION! Mainly the "Sell" one!:laughing:

EDcLED

Newly Enlightened
The bug bit me 57 yars ago when another kid showed me how to light the bulb out of the light with only a peice of wire. Bit harder when the white LED flashlight came out.

tinkerer

Newly Enlightened
I'm a new flashaholic too. I found this site looking for a worklight and lurked for awhile. I'm not a collector and all my lights get used at work, I just like rotating them. So at a minimum, I'll need 7 lights:grin2:. I just ordered a Nuwai Q3 to use until surefire comes out with the cree models. I'm a cr123 virgin......

frogs3

Enlightened
Gruß Lichtschalter,

So far, you have done well; aber jetzt heißt es handeln! (but now it's time to act) We all have the disease, and there are many thousands on this Forum alone: we enjoin you into our web. The best is yet to come.

Every Hope Abandon, Ye who enter Here. Alle Hoffnung aufgeben, die welche herein kommen. (I never read Dante "auf Deutsch" so please forgive my translation.)
The Inferno, Canto 1, Dante Alighieri

Willkommen,

HAK

lampthis

Newly Enlightened
I got infected when I accidentally ran into this forum. Most recent purchase is an L2Dce with a P1Dce on the way. :)

Calina

Enlightened
I can cure you all and my solution is efficient and cheap.

Here it goes:

Every time you feel that you NEED or like or want a light, you write a check for the amount that light would cost you and send it to me. If you feel that you don't have the discipline to write a check to me every time you should, you can alternatively, send me all your disposable income (if this is your situation, I am sorry to say that you are badly infected). Do not worry, you will no lose that money. I will only save keep it for you and I will return it back to you when you are completely cured, minus a 10% fee.

Why am I willing to provide this great service to you?

Two reasons: Because it hurts me to see so many of you fighting hopelessly this addiction and admittedly because I need the money that this 10% represents.

This rate could represent a good chunk of money for most the serious flahaholics among you but don't you feel it is normal that a cure would cost more for the more deeply affected patients. I think 10% is still a very reasonable rate, after all you will still be saving 90%.

Besides, that is the only way I found, to be able to afford all these nice lights I crave for.
evilgrin07.gif

P.S. : Lichtschalter and others, welcome to CPF!

Last edited:

Lichtschalter

Newly Enlightened
@frogs3:

Actually, the German translation is "Lasst, die ihr eingeht, jede Hoffnung fahren" - but well done. I'm glad you're enjoying 'La comedia divina'.

@calina:

I'm afraid that's not an option - it just sounds too reasonable. :)

zarj

Newly Enlightened
Since discovering this forum a month or so ago I have 2 new lights and 4 more in the post.

Hold on to you wallet and remember if you can't decide between two lights buy them both!