Surefire U2 any reason not to buy....?

Madvillian

Newly Enlightened
More than likely headed to pich up a U2 today. I have looked at several reviews and cant seem to find anything bad about them. Anyone had any trouble out of them? What type of batteries used for optimal output?

GreySave

Enlightened
Some folks had tail cap issues, but I have not heard of any for a while. Not sure if that is because the "problem" was solved or if people are just buying other products. I am sure you will receive plenty of responses shortly.

Many people (myself included) are probably waiting to see if SureFire updates the LED with a Cree or Rebel before purchasing, even if it takes a while to happen.

Edited to add content.

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
The U2 is a great light, variable output for me a good sized body, if you pick up a 18650 size dbody, PEU and Leaf are selling some you will get huge runtime AND normal output. Otherwise 17670's or cr-123's work great.

Madvillian

Newly Enlightened
65535 said:
The U2 is a great light, variable output for me a good sized body, if you pick up a 18650 size dbody, PEU and Leaf are selling some you will get huge runtime AND normal output. Otherwise 17670's or cr-123's work great.

Where can I purchase a 18650 body? I have never heard of PUE and Leaf. Thanks for all the input!

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have recently bought a number of Fenix lights and a couple of Lumapowers, all with the famous CREE LED. They give out a lot of light, they are beautiful, etc. etc. etc. :)

BUT I still enjoy very much my U2, I still use it a lot and most of all if I lost it I would buy a replacement even now. For me it is simply a must have. :naughty:

brunt_sp

Enlightened

Madvillian

Newly Enlightened
Gointothelight said:
You may also want to have your U2 modified with a Seoul led... Gladiusx1 does them.

How much is it, and how much of a benifit will it be? Is it just a better emitter?

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my U2. I hate to say it, but I'd probably sell my HDS lights before I'd sell my U2. It's a little too big to carry around with me every day, but it's just such a gosh darned perfect around the house utility light. I wouldn't want to be without it.

IMTRBO

Newly Enlightened
I also still use my U2 most often. Even though I've got a few other lights with me (3 of which are cree), I find the beam of the U2 most useful for most tasks. By that I mean that it lights up a nice wide area, and feels like it's got punch, unlike many of my other lights that have hotspots that are a little too small to be useful, or have hotspots that are too bright in comparison to their spillbeam.

sp5it

Enlightened
U2 is a "must have" light for me. Recently I swapped led with WW0S, now I got vanilla white beam on all six levels. Powering it from 18650 cell gives 2 hours of light on highest setting. Mike

lys_og_varme

Newly Enlightened
Is there any reason to buy one?

The new Cree LEDs have much the same, or better, output. Fenix P3D have better runtime, and Lumens in a smaller size and 1/4 the cost.

Dont get me wrong, I love my SureFires but dont know if the U2 is worth the cost? Sure its better craftmanship and can stand a nuclear explotion.....but you can buy many replacement Fenixlights for the same $$....

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can also buy many Hyundais for the price of a Mercedes or a BMW. I wonder why I see so many of the latter around and so few of the former.....:whistle:

Gointothelight

Newly Enlightened
Madvillian said:
How much is it, and how much of a benifit will it be? Is it just a better emitter?
The mod is $40 and if my other Seoul mods are any indication, I'm expecting an even brighter, even more floody beam with even longer runtimes.

Madvillian

Newly Enlightened
I think I already know the answer to this question, but will the 3.7V rechargeable 123's work in the U2? I know they fried my L4; However the circuitry could be more tolerable in the U2.

M I K

Enlightened
The fiscally dysfunctional State of Kommiefornia
To me, I think the U2 is the Cat's Meow. Of all my lights, other that my ten million candle power spotlight, the U2 is my go to light. With it's larger reflector, it is dominate outside when it comes to pocket sized lights. I work at night, and I wear cargo pants. With the U2's quality bezel down clip, EDC'ing it is a breeze. When I don't have my cargo pants on, I either have it in a belt sheath or on a neck lanyard under my shirt. Yea, it's a little heavy. But it's like my .45 automatic, it's a GOOD heavy. The NiteIze headband makes hands free use very easy. The low power settings are great for my paperwork, and the high setting is usually more light than I need. With the run time of the 18650 batt, I don't even need to pack extra batts in my pocket.

When I first got my U2 it developed a glitch in the tail switch. A quick call to SureFire and they immediately put a new tail switch in the mail. Never had a problem since.

If I could only have one flashlight, the U2 is at the top of the list. No, it's not a cheap light. It's a quality performer. Why should it be cheap? There are a lot of cheap lights on the market, but nothing I'd trade my U2 for, even it it was the same price. Once you pay the price for a SureFire, it is going to last you the rest of your life. Guaranteed.

But hey, I work at night and use a flashlight allot, so how would I know?

If I ever lost my U2, I'd buy another one ASAP. I love my U2, and NO, I don't want my money back.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Last edited:

LightScene

Enlightened
One of the charming features of the U2 is the wide, even beam of the Luxeon V led. Swapping it out for a Seoul might be a mistake for most people. Although it would certainly improve run times, it won't light up a room in front of you as well as the stock U2.

Madvillian

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to think everyone for all the input! It has been of great help. I picked one up yesterday and couldnt put it down! This thing is truly a work of art! I plan on getting the Leef housing very soon so that I can run the 18650. Anyone happen to have any runtime comparrisons or beamshots comparing the stock 123's to the 18650?

cy

Flashaholic
difference will depend upon vf of 5watt luxeon in U2. some there's little difference, other quite a bit.

older U2 were equiped with 19mm internals with a paper spacer to fit 18650 perfect. newer U2 will not support 18650 without boring out. 17670 will fit perfect, but you lose runtime.

U2 has been one of my favorite go to work lights.

Madvillian said:
Just wanted to think everyone for all the input! It has been of great help. I picked one up yesterday and couldnt put it down! This thing is truly a work of art! I plan on getting the Leef housing very soon so that I can run the 18650. Anyone happen to have any runtime comparrisons or beamshots comparing the stock 123's to the 18650?