What's the peformance/safety difference between adapters: 3'AA'x3 or 9'AA'x1 or 3'D'

davenlei

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I have a project where I am going to use a Downboy 917 (ver 3) in a 3 'D' Mag powering a Seoul LED and I have three battery combinations I am considering. I want to know what the best combo setup for runtime, etc. is. Since I am using the DB, I am assuming that the brightmess will not be affected when in regulation with any combination.

First battery setup:
3 x 'D' (1.5v alkaline battery)

Second battery setup:
3 x 3 'AA' to 'D' adapter (1.2v rechargeable) (three separate 'D' size adapters)

Third battery setup:
1 x 9 'AA' to 'D' adapter (1.2v rechargeable)

Last edited:

rivethead147

Newly Enlightened
Re: What's the peformance/safety difference between adapters: 3'AA'x3 or 9'AA'x1 or 3'D'

assuming that the 2nd and 3rd option remains a series circuit, voltage is cumilative and current is a constant, that being the case you will have 10.8v as the input voltage and i assume that the driver you're using can handle that kind of input but will produce a shorter running life as the average amps (current) in a AA Ni-Mh is ~700mAh. the 3xD alkalines in the first example will produce 4.5v but will have a ~1200mAh of current resulting in a longer life span.

which is important, brightness or longivity? if you want both, the batteries will have to be reconsidered. if the driver is designed to step up the voltage, i would go with the 3xd as that would get the best bang for buck but all relative to what the minimum input voltage of the driver will be

davenlei

Newly Enlightened
Re: What's the peformance/safety difference between adapters: 3'AA'x3 or 9'AA'x1 or 3'D'

Well, I will be using the Downboy 917 which is a buck circuit that can handle 3-16v in regulation. Since the DB regulates the amperage to the LED, I am assuming that the brightness is going to be the same anywhere from 3-16v but the only thing that would be affected is the longevity. Am I right?

Also, setup #2 would be a seris circuit I believe. It will be three independent 3 cell series modules in series with each other so the end result of the circult will be as if there were three 3.6v cells in series (3x1.2v=3.6, 3.6x3=10.8v).

Setup #3, would be a single in series cage (9x1.2v=10.8v).

Last edited: