Burning up a L1D CE

sixfellas

Newly Enlightened
So i've searched and searched, but i really haven't found an answer this question : Are we significantly shortening the life of a Cree in an L1D by using 14500 3.6v lithium-ions? If so is it really significant? Does anyone have a burnt up L1D? If this has been covered please point me to the thread. Thanks.

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF!! :grin2: You've come to the right place (turn back if you wish to spare your wallet :laughing: )

SInce the head is the same for the l2d, there should be no problem as it could take 3v as well. This has been covered but I couldn't find the thread either.

sixfellas

Newly Enlightened
but it seems that we are running the L1D at quite a bit higher than 3 volts. true dat?

sixfellas

Newly Enlightened
so we'v got voltage AND amperage to deal with here. I see the amperage is in spec (much less than 1 amp). Am i wrong to assume that since we are using "direct drive" on the 14500 that the 4.2 v drops quickly enough to within the 3.9v max that the Cree can take? So thats the reason we are OK?

Not to beat a dead horse but there still is some confusion in these threads.
Just trying to justify the 14500 with the numbers from the manufacture.

frank777

Enlightened
I ran a test using a 3.7 volt 123 lithium-ion with a drain rate of 400 ma. It took over 10 minutes to drop below 4 volts (initial voltage was 4.2).