Buzzing sound in SF A2 tailcap...

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
Just go my new precious! SF A2!

I just now heard a low buzzing sound from the tailcap when activated on momentary. Its like theres some conection problem, like small spark sound, combined with some high frequency sound. Is this something to worry about? Or is it normal?
I heard it when twisting it on also, but not as clear as when on momentary. Have heard some sparking sounds from my G2 also. I guess this is becuse the two surfaces dont have 100% connection? But is it something that is normal? You can clearly hear the sound when shifting from led light to incan light, the moment the incan turns on the sound appear quite clear..

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

The Surefire A2 has a fairly short-duration quiet "buzz" or "pvzzzzt" sound when you press the tailcap into the 2nd stage (where it kicks in the incandescent bulb). This is normal, and is normally pretty quiet (I personally have to have one of my A2s within about a foot of my ear to hear it, and wasn't even aware of the sound until a forum member posted about hearing it - causing me to check it out for myself!).

The Surefire L2, on the otherhand, kind of "whines" the entire time it's on low - and that sound is frequently audible at full arms-length! :)

Both of these effects are due to the voltage regulation circuitry used, it's the hum of the inductor being charged/discharged during current switching.

Best wishes,
Bawko

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
Ok! Thanks! I thought it had somtehing to do with something like that.. :)

So nothing to worry about then! Just got the light, and I really dont want to part from it!

Havent had many chanses yet to try it out in the dark, but I think I really gonna like this light!

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly as Atomin Chicken said, he is our in-house A2 master :grin2: My A2 that I used to have did the same thing as well....

ADDICTED2LITE

Newly Enlightened
My A2 only does it when I lightly press the second stage, if I press it further or harder it quits making the noise. I think its from bad contact when the incan first kicks in.