Do you take a good flashlight with you on vacation?

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm traveling overseas with my lovely wife for 3 weeks in May. I have a modest collection of good lights. My primary travel light of choice is a SF E2e w/MNO2 LA and a full SC3. My wife will have a Pelican M1 as a hand held. We both will have Arc AAA-P's as backups. She thinks this is over the top but she does it for me.

Do you travel with the "Good Stuff?"

I must admit I used travel as an excuse to purchase my 4th E2x. I used to travel with my E2O but now it has great sentimental value (see the other thread).

So if this light is gifted (sometimes you have to be a good ambassador), beat to hell, or stolen it won't be a big deal. I could take one of my dedicated loaner lights but why buy a favorite and not use it where its needed the most?

What do you do?!

Tessaiga

Enlightened
A Little Red Dot 1 degree North of the Equator
In fact travel was the main reason why I got into flashlights in the first place.. wanted a good one to bring for vacation and to make sure that each of the kids and wife had their own as well..:D

Very nice configuration... I have always liked the E1e's body.. how long does that set up run for??

Last edited:

defusion

Enlightened
I think you should travel with a good light!
i can see the reason of not carrying a light you got as a gift, or maybe built yourself, because of the increased likelyness of losing it.

So basicaly carry a good one that won't break your heart if lost. breaking the bank is easier to recover from.

Illum

Flashaholic
my EDC for vacations elsewhere is composed of 15% lights 85% spares

if you EDC a light regularly, going on a vacation is not am excuse for not having one or two

usually the A2, X5 for cr123A lights, and then an alkaline spare: L2P, X1
cr123a Spares are held in 1x[SC3], 2x[2x123A Jillite tubes]. As for Alkalines are stored in small ziploc bags

Last edited:

22hornet

Enlightened
It's on vacation that you really use your lights. You are relaxed and ready to play, so: bring along the nice stuff!
I was really happy to have taken my Peak McKinley, my red ARC AAA with me to Africa, together with a Peak Kilimanjaro, Fenix E1 and L2T.

These lights proved very useful and fun:
- during the numerous power failures at night (me and my fiancée were the "heroes" at the hotel :) )
- in the swimming pool (peaks and arc)

i only wished I had brought my Surefire E1L or Peak Mediterranean as well (Robyn! :( )
Anyhow, I learned that the output, generated by a McKinley or an E1 is largely sufficient for nearly any purpose.

Kind regards,
Joris

Last edited:

Gointothelight

Newly Enlightened
I have some great lights but I usualy take a couple of Fenix lights with me (whatever the latest and greatest model is at the time) when I'm traveling out of the country... it's a good and dependable light BUT I won't cry if it gets lost or stolen or confiscated by some over-zealous airport screener, security guard or customs agent. Now, if I'm traveling in the country, camping or hiking... a Surefire U2 and Photons CR2-ion are a must along with one of several other pocket lights that take a standard battery... right now that's a Lumapower M3.

bagman

Enlightened
I always take my HDS EDC U60GT as it is my EDC and the last few times I've been abroad I've taken my Gladius as the bedside light. The nice bright full beam coupled with the ability to dim right down are great with the strobe as a bonus :D

CLHC

Flashaholic
I've been travelling with my two SF.A2s—(as of late) and the 3[M]ini.Mag, which is usually with me if only just this one. That's all—

vandrecken

Newly Enlightened
According to need and risk. I wouldn't take my gatlight or an expensive custom on a plane in case of loss or ill informed security staff, but the Orb NS stays in my pocket and is useful for finding dropped things on an overnight flight. A C3/p91 goes in the hand luggage too as it might just be useful after dark on the streets of an unfamiliar city.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on mode of travel (car or plane), what I will be doing while there (camping or hotel), time of year and how far north I am (length of night), how far from civilization (battery availability).
From one extreme (long distance minimalist hiking) Jil CR2 plus Photon Freedom, to the other (car trip for camping with medium/short night hikes) then I bring the HDS, ROP, Gladius, L1, A2, and any other fun lights.

22hornet said:
Anyhow, I learned that the output, generated by a McKinley or an E1 is largely sufficient for nearly any purpose.
That level sets what I can get away with for minimalist hiking (Jil CR2 plenty)

vandrecken said:
According to need and risk. I wouldn't take my gatlight or an expensive custom on a plane in case of loss or ill informed security staff, but the Orb NS stays in my pocket and is useful for finding dropped things on an overnight flight.
Exactly, planes affect the light I will carry due to increased chance of loss. I try very hard not to put a good light in the checked luggage.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blindasabat said:
Exactly, planes affect the light I will carry due to increased chance of loss. I try very hard not to put a good light in the checked luggage.
It's true. Unfortunately, thieves steal airbags.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I got this "light virus" I own just good lights, and they are a part of me, everywhere in the world:whistle:

Best regards

_____
Tom

Mike M

Newly Enlightened
Always. If its somewhere we drive to I'll have my keys so that means I'll have my POD Ce. I usually take my E2e with some spares. Depending on the vacation/travel/activities I take a head lamp as well. Those come in handy all the time and with a LED model you have decent light for a long time. If we're in the states and road tripping it I'll usually have my moded Mag, U2 clone, head lamp, and afore mentioned LOD.

Hey you got to have something right. Not all those walks on the beach are moonlit.

ginaz

Enlightened
i take my hds with me. i've never had a problem with it in my carry-on but i do get a little nervous. i never put a light or a knife i really care about in my checked luggage. too many horror stories out there.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I took my L2 and LOD-CE on the last airplane ride I took.

If I'm driving somewhere I take 6 or 8 different flashlights including an AE24/S or X990

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to take the SF M6 and/or M3 plus a green laser pointer packed in luggage, but I would worry about theft, so stopped taking them. I still do pack an Eternalight every time, and it probably gets the most use.

With me on the plane, I have a plethora of lights, including the SF E1 w/ KL1 and E2 incan. Also have: UKE 2AAA penlight, UKE 2AAA pocket light, Radio Shack pocket fluorescent, lambda-modded Streamlight Keymate, and a number of keychain lights. The Photon Freedom covert is especially useful on red-eye flights when you don't want to disturb neighboring passengers.