P2D CE temp. on Turbo

2jzpower

Newly Enlightened
i heard of people's P2D's cutting out of turbo mode at around 10 min... so i did a test... i kept the light on for 20 min on turbo and checked the temps along the way...

at 10 min the light was at 118F at the head

at 20 min here's the pic of the head

And here's the tail

after 20 min the turbo mode still worked... although the light was pretty hot at about 120+F across the whole body at 20 min

RustyKnee

Enlightened
2jzpower said:
it's mainly sitting on it's own i did fiddle with it 2 or 3 times tho...

Wonder what it would be after 20 with it held...assuming it doesn't get uncomfortable...measre the time that happens too if ya test it. Your hand acts like a heat sink.

I am guessing turbo mode is going to be used more when in the hand than when resting anywhere.

Also, what colour is the torch? Natural or black? Black should be a bit better at dispiating heat in static situations I believe....doh the piccys show its black lol

Stu

2jzpower

Newly Enlightened
Wonder what it would be after 20 with it held...assuming it doesn't get uncomfortable...measre the time that happens too if ya test it. Your hand acts like a heat sink.

I am guessing turbo mode is going to be used more when in the hand than when resting anywhere.

Also, what colour is the torch? Natural or black? Black should be a bit better at dispiating heat in static situations I believe.

Stu

ok i just tried holding it and the heat could be felt in the first min... and at 5 min it was at about 105 all the way around the light... and although not burning or anything but i'd like to not hold it in one hand at 105F...

the color is black by the way and using primary CR123A batteries

RustyKnee

Enlightened
2jzpower said:
ok i just tried holding it and the heat could be felt in the first min... and at 5 min it was at about 105 all the way around the light... and although not burning or anything but i'd like to not hold it in one hand at 105F...

the color is black by the way and using primary CR123A batteries

Thats only a few degrees above body temperature (for the body to act has a heat sink it needs to cooler than the object..although i don't know how much cooler the blood in your hands is compared to cenntrally in the body).

Small torches don't have much thermal mass or surface area. Not sure there is any way around it getting warm apart from using it on the lower power settings.

Stu

dardar

Newly Enlightened
RustyKnee said:
Small torches don't have much thermal mass or surface area. Not sure there is any way around it getting warm apart from using it on the lower power settings.

Stu

Take a glass of water a little less the high of the p2d. Put water and the p2d in the glass and the light will stay at the water temperature. Usefull for candle mode on turbo but useless outside, I admit :ohgeez:

Flash Harry

Newly Enlightened
I used mine over two nights at work. It gets hot on turbo but I tend to move through the settings according to the job. My biggest concern was that the battery may get too hot in such a small package.

I still love it, though.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you leave your black flashlight out in the sun it will get hotter than 120F. If it only goes to 105F in the hand that sounds pretty normal and of no concern considering if you left it off and held it in your hand it would warm up to 98.6F. What's another 6.4 degrees? :)

apfevervictim

Newly Enlightened
I accidentally turned mine on Friday while putting my seatbelt on when returning to the office from lunch. Someone noticed it about 20 minutes later and I clicked it off. Then I pulled it out and.. YEOW!!! That sucker was HOT!
eeksign.gif
I almost posted a question here asking if I had drastically shortened my CREE's lifespan. It was very uncomfortable to hold for more than a second or two but it didn't seem to be any dimmer for the experience...

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
apfevervictim said:
I accidentally turned mine on Friday while putting my seatbelt on when returning to the office from lunch. Someone noticed it about 20 minutes later and I clicked it off. Then I pulled it out and.. YEOW!!! That sucker was HOT!
eeksign.gif
I almost posted a question here asking if I had drastically shortened my CREE's lifespan. It was very uncomfortable to hold for more than a second or two but it didn't seem to be any dimmer for the experience...
The light getting hot is actually a good sign -- it means the LED heat is getting conducted out where it can get dissipated. It's the LEDs in the bright lights that don't get hot that you need to worry about.

c_c

Supernam

Enlightened
It's only 20 degrees more than body temp. Wouldn't consider that hot at all, just warm. What would be interesting is if there were a way to measure the temperature at the base of emitters. That'll tell you how well the body acts as a heat sink.