simple aaa mod

dangee

Newly Enlightened
just received the arc aaa le in mail today and found it to be everything forum members said it would be. but of coarse anything can be modified so here is my quick mod. i took a 12mm inside dimension plastic "cap plug" routed it out to 10mm and installed a 3x enlarging camera lens that is also 12mm wide. there is enough inside lip to keep the lens secure against the arc head. and the cap slides over the head for a tight fit. the first thing i noticed was how it turned the bluish tint of the arc and made it almost a true white. some kind of a prism effect i guess. because of the magnification it takes the useable light and concentrates it to more of a very bright spot with not as much flood. hopefully the pics of the beamshots will attach to this post for compairisons.
fd1f7b92.jpg
fd1f796f.jpg
fd1f7a8c.jpg
fd1f796d.jpg

CNC Dan

Enlightened
I was going to post the pics for you but damn they are too big. You need to reduce the image size to a reasonable size.

Banshee

Enlightened
Dan...

Whereabouts are you in the Boston area...?

I live in Bridgewater and work in Downtown..

Dave

dangee

Newly Enlightened
yea there a little big. i have a couple more so i will import them to paint shop pro and reduce them to around 60k instead of the 225k they are now and repost. how can i post them in this forum?

the avatar

Newly Enlightened
dangee, having inspired by your mod, I've tried to stick the Arc AAA to one of the eye pieces of a 10x binocular

the window of the eye piece is nearly exactly the same size as the Arc AAA head and all lights are transmitted through the binocular, and the result is incredible... you are right that the beam turns from bluish to white, and the beam is much much more concentrated... so much that I can see the beam on the building across the street about 20 metres away !! note that there are many street lights, neon signs etc

if only a miniature telescope could be made as an add-on....

CNC Dan

Enlightened
Originally posted by Banshee:
Dan...
Whereabouts are you in the Boston area...?
I live in Bridgewater and work in Downtown...
Dave
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I Work in Ipswich on RT 1.

I live at the end of RT 128 on cape ann.

CNC Dan

Enlightened
Originally posted by dangee:
yea there a little big. i have a couple more so i will import them to paint shop pro and reduce them to around 60k instead of the 225k they are now and repost. how can i post them in this forum?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You don't actualy post them here(upload). But you can "link" them.

When you add a reply or start a new topic look below the text window for a bunch of "buttons" one will be IMAGE. Click this and cut/paste the URL location for the image. This will display the image from some other hosting server in your message.

Or you could manualy add the tags for images like this. When you post your message the image will show up.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">
</pre><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

B@rt

Flashaholic
Hi dangee,
the first step of uploading your pics worked, but you have to go back to My Imagestation and go to the album you have added your pics to. Then, click on index and find your pic. click it and a larger version (but not the original) will appear. Right click the pic and select Properties, and copy the url of that image.
Go to the post where you want your pic to show and click the UBB-code tag labeled IMAGE.
Paste the url in the pop-up window and click ok.
icon14.gif
grin.gif

fd1f7a89.jpg

Nice pics!
For more info, check this thread: How to post pictures

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by this_is_nascar:
dangee, where did you get this cap-plug? Is the opening goes over the ARC head 12mm or 10mm? I couldn't exactly tell from your post.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't have any balls (to try) like doubleganger has, but I did find an 11 mm lens from Electronic Goldmine (or American Sci.& Surplus), and after PVC taping the lens tightly to the head of my Arc-LE, I now have the same exact effect that dangee got. -A much whiter Spot beam.-Great little idea!

ditto to nascar's Q...would a camera shop have something like that "cap-plug"?

dangee

Newly Enlightened
the capplug i used has a 12mm id and fits snuggly over the 13mm od of the arc aaa. i picked mine up at my well stocked electronics supply company. it came in a "kit" of 100 pieces ranging from
2mm - 30mm in 10 to each size
icon14.gif

dangee

Newly Enlightened
i only have one of the greys left that fit the arc aaa, but i am currently looking for supplier for individual sizes. its seems when u buy kits with many various sizes theres always one or two that get depleted first. therein lies the problem of kits. on friday 1-24-03 i am going over to a supplier to check if they carry the capplugs. i will post back here. i can ship u some if i find the right size. free.
icon14.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic
Dangee,
I use a LED mounting with lens from Conrad, the fitting is about the same diameter as the Arc
smile.gif

A short piece of aquarium tubing to attach them together and presto!
grin.gif

I'm sure electronics suppliers in the States will carry simular items...