Magled Nimh's?

vetkaw63

Enlightened
I know they say not to but, have you????? How did it do? I'm thinking about buying my father one for his birthday. He goes walking in the woods every night. He carries two incan flashlights with him in case one goes dead. He has recently shown interest in my LED's.
How do you like yours Magled?
Has anybody dropped a Seoul Semiconductor U Bin in theirs?
Thanks,
Mike

HarveyRich

Enlightened
Yes and no problems. That's all I use. I have many other flashlights by now, but both 2AA and 3AA Maglights use NimH when I use them. That's the word on the threads on this board too.

I like mine, especially the light from the 3AA since it is brighter than the 2AA. The light goes 2 - 2 1/2 hrs before dimming so that it becomes the same as the 2AA Magled. The Magled goes almost 5 hrs before dropping to close to zero rather precipitously. The 3AA light goes to moon mode first.

Try these sites at FlashlightReviews.com for detailed reviews:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_minimagled.htm and
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_minimagled3aa.htm

My recollection is that the 2AA has about 34 lumens, while the 3AA has 51 lumens. They have a more concentrated hotspot than the Cree and Seoul leds have. The sidespill is OK, but even with the focusing factor isn't that spread out. Overall, I like them, but there are more powerful lights available for reasonable prices, especially Cree lights from DealExtreme or Kaidomain. They're still a good deal for the price.

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
:Ohgeez:
again, please, anyone reading this tread because of the title:

if You absolutely have to stay at this money level, check some Fenix clone on the dubget sites (like dealextreme, burley's and such)
if not:
get a Fenix L2D-CD instead which is LIGHTYEARS ahead of any of the MM-led
(which are, together with all the other negative things, at least 1 inch too unnecessary long!!)

yellow said:

if You absolutely have to stay at this money level, check some Fenix clone on the dubget sites (like dealextreme, burley's and such)
if not:
(which are, together with all the other negative things, at least 1 inch too unnecessary long!!)

Why is it that people get away with Mag bashing, but not Fenix bashing? :touche:

vetkaw63

Enlightened
yellow said:

if not:

Dude,
My dad is almost 70. It took me this long to get him to consider an LED light. The only reason that he is considering it now is because of the newest generation of LED's. He liked my Ultrafire C2. I figured that I would get him accustomed to something that he knows. Believe me, a Mag will be high end for him. He buys the 99 cent plastic energizer flashlights.
Thanks for the help though.
Mike

vetkaw63

Enlightened
Anybody swapped an SSC U Bin in a 3 AA magled? I did the searches but, do you know how many mag mods there are on this board? LOL!
Mike

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy a Mag 2AA LED for your dad and he will be very happy! Put a couple of 2500 mAh NiMH's in it and it will run beautifully. I have SF's, Fenixes, Lumapowers, Inovas but still I like my Mag LED. :)

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
vetkaw63 said:
Dude, My dad is almost 70. It took me this long to get him to consider an LED light....Believe me, a Mag will be high end for him. He buys the 99 cent plastic energizer flashlights.Mike

Either the 2AA or 3AA MiniMagLED should be fine for his purposes. After using it for a while he'll come to appreciate saving money on primary cells, while still getting better light for his walks.

I'd buy him two 2AA MiniMagLEDs rather than one Fenix 2AA for about the same cost. He'd have plenty of light for walking and an identical backup light to use if the cells die on the first. They also have Mag's solid lifetime warranty, and can be easily exchanged if purchased locally.

Another light to consider would be the new Inova 2AA Bolt, which looks to be even tougher and more durable than Mag. Only a few bucks more than a MiniMagLED 2AA and the Bolt should be available at your local Target.

zulu45

Enlightened
I don't think runtime and all is the only factor involved in wanting to use a MagLED over a Fenix. I, personally, gave my Fenix L2P to my mother once I bought a MagLED 2AA, and I haven't regretted it. To me, and I'd guess to others, buying online is a last resort. With the MagLED line, if you lose your light, you don't have to go order online, and wait for shipping. Just go to the local hardware store, or the Wal-Mart, and pick up a new one.

I do hate the lens, though. Through usage, I do have three small spots, and while that doesn't cause any significant loss in output, eventually it will have to be replaced. Thankfully I can always get an old MiniMag cheap as dirt to get a replacement lens, though I have been considering ordering a few glass lenses instead.

I'd say, go for the MagLEDs. I love mine, and aside from my 4D MagLED, it's become my primarly light for power outages. Of course, I use NiMH batteries in it for the runtime. Fenix is definately a better choice as for quality and regulation, particularly if using alkalines, but when using NiMH batteries, I feel that the durablility and the "tank-like" qualities of the MagLEDs make them a great contender in the market.

sandbasser

Newly Enlightened
Kilovolt said:
Buy a Mag 2AA LED for your dad and he will be very happy! Put a couple of 2500 mAh NiMH's in it and it will run beautifully. I have SF's, Fenixes, Lumapowers, Inovas but still I like my Mag LED. :)

The Mag 2AA LEDs are a good deal now at WalMart... I saw them red-tagged for $19.00. AFAIK it's not a local sale as I've seen other posts on this forum (or maybe the EDC forum).

Northernflame

Newly Enlightened
vetkaw63 said:
I know they say not to but, have you????? How did it do? I'm thinking about buying my father one for his birthday. He goes walking in the woods every night. He carries two incan flashlights with him in case one goes dead. He has recently shown interest in my LED's.
How do you like yours Magled?
Has anybody dropped a Seoul Semiconductor U Bin in theirs?
Thanks,
Mike

Hi.

Magled's 2aa or 3aa (3aa better). Considering that eventualy the weight of the FL will be a concern, Those two would be a good choice.

Also try considering a FL like the Ultrafire C2 with 17650 or 18650 li-ions+charger.

The smallest large head mag is the 2C, its'a bit heavy if you consider hauling it hand for extended peroids. It's heavy even in a belt pouch.

There are Surefire U2 Clones with single and dual modes (brightness levels) that have very good battery life.

Since your father is probably used to single mode fl's.

Also your Father (if wears a stadnard belt) would probably like a realy good belt pocket for such Fl's . Something out of fairly thick and good quality leather and a easy access and reliable hold snap flap. Nylon belt pockets are ok if you can get one with a good weave.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
the ppl get away with "mag bashing" because, when one just mentions the FACTS, noone can disagree.
personally, I think "bashing" refers to non-arguments, not to a technical diskussion

Sure, I personally HATE the MM-leds, because I had to wait THREE !!! years for them, and then they still feature the most basic errors, that were common on the very 1st high power led-lights and already solved (as I thought),
but I did not take my personal view into account for the given application.

* diameter is about the same (and bad when Your hands are bad - too small, my grandparents had atrithis, I know what I type about. At 70-75 there could be 1st signs, if one could get this)
* mm is less slippy, the knurling is the only thing the MM is better at.
* any of the MM led is about the size of an additional cell (unnecessary) longer
* on/off is unsure when in pocket (where size counts as well) and
* needs both hands (yesyes, I know, the mag-gods can do it with one hand, every time and under every condition, sure)
* single output and its runtime is something given, if batts are drained enough, light stops working, no emergency light
* light has to be focused, while the better light will flood an area after clicking on (MM will be a better thrower on full focus but there are real thrower around)

but hey, You all are not me, just get a MM-Led, why not :)
(still think: at Your prices get a fenix clone, or else the real one. Here there is no question, the MMs cost € 49,-- and 59,--)
PS: I have both MM-Led, just to let You know I am able to compare

Last edited:
chevrofreak said:
Didn't sound like bashing to me. It sounded like he was suggesting a much better alternative to a Maglite LED.

But you consider it "bashing" when I point out posted flaws,lack of features on Fenix products, such as the switch problem that people are having and my inference on the construction quality of the switch or listing out things I find undesirable.

Yellow is basically saying the same, except he talks down on Maglite. He also made an unsupported statement that "Fenix" is light years ahead of Maglite. While he points out not having multiple outputs is something lacking, it's something more that could go wrong on a Fenix.

I believe there's been reports of Fenix output selector/switch/shock related glitches.

Last edited:

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Handlobraesing said:
But you consider it "bashing" when I point out posted flaws,lack of features on Fenix products, such as the switch problem that people are having and my inference on the construction quality of the switch or listing out things I find undesirable.

Yellow is basically saying the same, except he talks down on Maglite. He also made an unsupported statement that "Fenix" is light years ahead of Maglite. While he points out not having multiple outputs is something lacking, it's something more that could go wrong on a Fenix.

I believe there's been reports of Fenix output selector/switch/shock related glitches.

There have been a few problems with some Fenix lights, but you hear a lot more about them since a great deal of the owners of the lights are here on CPF, while Magleds are spread all around the world in the hands of people who have no idea this place exists.

The Magled AA lights do have a lot of detractors, like corrosion or oxidation messing with the switch, losing about 1/3 of the light output when going from flood to spot focus, they're a lot longer than most other 2AA and 3AA lights, they have plastic windows and an easily scratched finish.

Even if he doesn't spring for a Fenix, there are a lot of other alternatives, many of which can be found at a Target store. I was at Target tonight and was amazed at how many new lights they have, including several new 2AA Luxeon lights, a 1AA Luxeon light and an Energizer rechargeable Luxeon light. Many of them are in the same $20-25 range as the Magled lights.

The Rayovac 2AA light with the "tactical" switch for $25~ might be a good alternative.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Handlobraesing said:

But... but... how are we to discuss the merits and detractions of lights without pointing out their features and their flaws? I own many Mags (mostly modded) and a few Fenix (Fenii?) and though I rarely use either on a daily basis, they are both able products. But I will say that of the probably 10 Fenix products I've owned, one has absolutely NEVER failed. Some of the threads are sloppier on some samples than on others, but ALL Mags have loose threads, compared to Fenix. And though perhaps one doesn't want or need multiple levels and silly features such as strobe and S.O.S., surely one can't actually expect rabid flashlight junkies to actively crave single output lights in a longer than neccessary format and without the tail clickie so many CPFers desire and a known poor finish as being more advanced than a 3 stage + strobe + S.O.S. + tail clickie + Type III anodize?

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
vetkaw63 said:
Anybody swapped an SSC U Bin in a 3 AA magled? I did the searches but, do you know how many mag mods there are on this board? LOL!
Mike
I've put an SSC into two 2AA and one 3AA Mini-Mag LED lights, and into a couple of 2C Mag LED drop-ins. It's very easy, and the process is the same for all. The LED just unplugs. I solder some thin strips of nickel-plated steel (salvaged from a battery pack) to the SSC terminals so it can be plugged in like the original. Before plugging in the replacement, I epoxy a 0.030" copper spacer to the header with Arctic Silver epoxy, using a thick enough layer to insulate the spacer. Then I put a little Arctic Silver compound on the top of the spacer and plug the LED in. Caution: Mark the + and - terminals before you unplug the original LED. I killed one drop-in, I think because it didn't have a proper load.

I've gotten about twice the total light output from the AA versions, but with something like 40 or 50% increase in central spot brightness. This means that the focus isn't quite as sharp as before, so the beam is a little floodier than the original.

c_c