Extreme surefire G2 test

defusion

Enlightened
I want to test my spare surefire G2 to destruction, find out what kind of things it will handle.
What have you always wanted to know if your surefire G2 would do?

I'm thinking of some sand/dirt/mud, some depth testing, extreme climate (have it running for an hour in the deepfreeze, and an hour in the oven at the highest ambient temperature recorded on earth). Finish it with a few drops of varying heights to test the bulb, and body.

Ofcourse i will post any results with pictures, for entertainment and future reference.

shadowbuds

Newly Enlightened
and an hour in the oven at the highest ambient temperature recorded on earth)

Make sure to watch that thing if you put it in the oven... I don't want you to burn down your house becuase of exploding lithiums!

prof

Enlightened
drop it in liquid nitrogen (see Carrot's links for details, happened to an arc, which survived) then run over it with a tank. if it survives this, let me know and I'll send the rest of the test details...oh, do you have an arc welder handy?

defusion

Enlightened
Yeah, i definately will. And i will use about 60 degrees C, ~140 F, so thats not "insane". Maybe i will go higher with just the body if i want to see when it starts to melt.

ynggrsshppr

Newly Enlightened
shadowbuds said:

Make sure to watch that thing if you put it in the oven... I don't want you to burn down your house becuase of exploding lithiums!

Exploding lithiums, that'll do quite nicely for a torture test.

defusion

Enlightened
prof said:
drop it in liquid nitrogen (see Carrot's links for details, happened to an arc, which survived) then run over it with a tank. if it survives this, let me know and I'll send the rest of the test details...oh, do you have an arc welder handy?
Sadly, i have neither available, but i can tell you now that it won't survive either. It's plastic, which becomes way more brittle then any type of metal when cooled to -180 C (approximate liquid nitrogen temp), and a tank i just stupid.
I want to hear stuff that actually makes a chance of not destroying the body.
If i had to much money, i might have done both with my SF M3 though :p

Patriot

Flashaholic
Well, once it's destroyed that's it, so I recommend the oven be last. :)

I'd be intersted in a depth test and strength test....like running over with a car or something. Some frozen in water tests would be neat. I think drop tests would just kill the lamp assembly.

defusion

Enlightened
Frozen in water sounds cool, didn't think about that.
Running over with a car might be something i do, the dropping will maybe be a bit to much for the bulb. But a drop of maybe 20ft. on concrete should be fun for the body. Will probably do that if it survives the car test.

defusion

Enlightened
jph said:
+1 on the depth test.
How waterproof is it?
i already threw it in about 1ft deep water, and it didn't leak at the head. You should put a second O-ring on the tailcap part though.
something more challenging for the light is on it's way ;)