Single Mode, 1-AA 15 Lumen Flashlights?

Spin

Enlightened
Are there any single mode 1-AA flashlights with 15 lumen output with a 15 hour or more runtime?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'm not sure you'll find any light that's quite that efficient. The one I have that comes the closest may be the Task Force 1 watt 1 AA from Lowe's. It starts out at maybe 20 lumens and might still be shining a bit at 10 hours, but not brightly. I've not actually timed a run, but it will still work with a very depleted battery.

Geoff

Cydonia

Enlightened
Fenix L1D CE - low - Kirkland alkaline (single AA) runs 19 hours 21 minutes at about 9 lumens according to run time graphs by chevrofreak here
And with lithium AA for nearly 32 hours. So yeah, if the low setting were upped to 15 lumens, it might make 15 hours. Seems possible. Not sure if it eexists in a simple 1 mode light yet though.

h_nu

Enlightened
The Peak Pacific with a AA body and Lithium battery may do it. The version tested at flashlightreviews.com got over 12 hrs to 50% on this combination. That was with a Luxeon. You can now get a Seoul LED. You can also choose drive levels on this light when you place your order.

defusion

Enlightened
Why do you want a single mode light?
there are plenty options for multi-mode lights, with all the cree's

Brody

Newly Enlightened
The Advancedmart .5w TM313x flashlight will do close to that on a 2700ma Nimh battery.
You can see a review of it at http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/amart_313x.htm
In the review, it starts out a little over 12 lumens, and goes almost 8 hours to 50% on an energizer alkaline battery. High capacity nimh batteries can give you almost double the runtime if they are freshly charged.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
defusion said:
Why do you want a single mode light?
there are plenty options for multi-mode lights, with all the cree's

Some people prefer single mode lights because they demand reliabilty above all else. The KISS design philosophy - Keep It Simple, Stupid - implies that less will go wrong when there is less that can go wrong.

Some people don't like wrestling with the various UIs needed to change levels and modes. They want a simple and easy to use UI: just ON and OFF.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Martini said:
Well, essentially, what you describe is what we were hoping the new Inova X1 would be. No dice, though.

You and who else? :lolsign:

A few people prefer runtime on less batteries, but brighter is better to alot of folks.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
ampdude said:
You and who else?...A few people prefer runtime on less batteries, but brighter is better to alot of folks.

I'm who else.

Lots of people who actually *use* their lights for practical purposes prefer a useful amount of light combined with a long runtime.

A single cell backup light should have sufficient output to perform tasks, walk a rough trail, and find the way back to camp or out of the woods. A backup light must allow me to accomplish those things for several hours straight, without changing the cell.

Other people prefer to admire how purty their light's beam is on a white wall, then shine it across the back yard to see how brightly it lights up the neighbor's house. They sit around and marvel at the smoothness of its finish, stroke its anodize, finger its fancy crenelated bezel, then show off its brightness to friends. Fine, to each his own.

But, don't presume to tell me that a brighter light is a better light.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Peak AA Atlantic looks to be a winner to me also. I have the titanium version with the high power option and it puts out what looks to me to be around 15 lumens. I don't know how long it will last, but I bet it will last a long time.

Well made light.

-Goatee

phosphor

Enlightened
But, don't presume to tell me that a brighter light is a better light
.......no, you are correct. Simple is good....and modest output can....well.....make for an adequate lighting tool. To each his own ! However, something like the Fenix L1D, with CREE technology, and simple UI multi functions which allows for the ability to briefly "reach out" beyond the adequate for the times one might need to light up, say, an extended tree line, can be "better" ! The UI functions on the L1D don't require a genuis to master.

My point is.......embrace the new technology that allows for the "basics" ,and more, when you might need them; or don't.......a simple wax candle will certainly light the way much of the time too.....if that's what works for you. Simple and adequate are good......but not always superior !

- Best regards to all.

Last edited:

Calina

Enlightened
ringzero said:
I'm who else.

Lots of people who actually *use* their lights for practical purposes prefer a useful amount of light combined with a long runtime.

But, don't presume to tell me that a brighter light is a better light.

+1

Hans

Enlightened
phosphor said:
Simple is good....and modest output can....well.....make for an adequate lighting tool. To each his own ! However, something like the Fenix L1D, with CREE technology, and simple UI multi functions which allows for the ability to briefly "reach out" beyond the adequate for the times one might need to light up, say, an extended tree line, can be "better".

Well, there are still situations where a simple light with a simple UI, low output and no fancy electronics is preferable to any "modern" light. Take the Jil DD, for instance .... many, many hours of decent output on a CR2, no electronics that may break of malfunction.

In many ways the ideal backup light.

Hans

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think multi-modes shouldn't be a problem if they don't get in the way of your 15 lumens. The L1D-CE in normal mode turns on to its low mode (20 hours at 20 lumens?) first click, and turns off the next click. And that's it, unless you chose to start blinking or going Turbo. Shouldn't be that hard.

As for reliability, solid state circuits should stay pretty solid once you get past PCB infant mortality problems which seem to be pretty rare in quality lights.

So, another vote for the L1D-CE. It's so close to your requirements that I think you can overlook it's only variance from them which is that it's better.

bluecrow76

Enlightened
+1 for the Fenix L1D-CE... great long runtime with low output... or lot's of lite for a couple hours. It's a good thing they're $50+ or I'd be inclined to buy more of them! :)

Edit: And if you want more light, you can always get the $12 2AA body which really boosts the turbo mode, although i've read some people don't like the way it looks.