Bought my first Torch L1D-CE

gooman

Newly Enlightened
Well last week I took the plunge and bought a L1D-CE from the Fenix Store. I was deciding between the L1D and LOD and am glad with what I got. The LOD would have been too small for my hands, and I like the soft click feature of the L1D, rather than twisting the bezel of the L0D. As I said before, this is my first flight light (aside from the el cheapo flashlights found at the hardware store). My first impression after turning it on (turbo) was that it isn't THAT bright.....As a newbie fool I looked into the LED while it was on and blinded my eyes for a good 10 minutes!!! Man this thing is really bright! If anyone is considering a EDC 1AA, I would recommend this.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi gooman, welcome to CPF.:)

You made an excellent choice.
A small piece of advice: in your new L1D CE put an Energizer lithium battery L91, you will see a definite improvement in the brightness and also some welcome difference between high and turbo.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
if You are about to use normal alkalines of Ni-Mhs, then high and turbo setting will be the same.
I inserted a small sheet of paper into the body (with a hole in the middle for the "+" of the batt to make contact to the circuit) and have the head screwed in all the time.
Connection for turbo mode is cut that way AND there will be no connection problems from the loose head (as with the 2-way operated earlier models).
Works great.

RustyKnee

Enlightened
welcome fella. I just received my second fenix, a p3d ce. my first torch was the fenix P1D ce....I keep buying torches now though....so be carefule hehe

Stu

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first real flashlight was also the L1D CE, that was only some days ago. I was deciding between L1D and L2D, but the L1D has sufficient runtime for me (and I don't really need the turbo with more lumens)- but I can buy the 2AA tube anytime later.

jc28841

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to the light Gooman...
Great choice you made.
Energizer e2 lithium does make a nice difference in brightness and runtime.
Also consider the 2AA tube if you really want to blind yourself ;)

gooman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.
1. You're right about using generic alkaline batteries and not noticing any difference between turbo and high. I got some Lithium e2's today and can now see the big difference between these two modes.
2. I have read people on the forum talking about 'lubricating' the threads with grease. Is this necessary to do now or after 6 months?
3. How long do the o-rings last typically
4. I noticed dust on the inside of the glass lens, is it okay to take it completely apart and wipe the cover from the inside?

As I said before I am a Newbie:green:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The threads can be lubricated even today, it helps maintaining the o-rings in good shape. You just clean them with some kitchen paper and then apply a thin layer of plumber's silicone grease.
A well lubricated o-ring should last several years.
I strongly suggest you avoid opening the head. Apart from voiding the warranty you risk other damages. A lot of fellow CPFers have discovered that the surface finish of the reflectors is much less strong that it looks like.....:mecry:

wykeite

Newly Enlightened
You're going to love it:laughing:

2. Now but wash the threads out with something like isopropanol first, it'll get rid of any detritus and make the threads feel smoother.

3. Longer if they're lubricated, not had mine long enough for the rings to wear out.

4. At your peril, the threads are epoxied or more likely have a loctite type compound on them. The lens also has an anti reflective coating that you could damage.

Welcome:party:

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering if I could use WD40 to clean the threads and then I'll aply Nyogel 760G?

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome, gooman!
Nice choice for your first light. I wish I could have started with a cutting edge tech emitter with high efficiency in a light with multiple levels. The L1P was relatively new when I found CPF (through Flashlightreviews.com), and I wished then for what we have now. Though I still wish the L1D was the smaller diameter of the L1P or L1T.
Ideally, lubricating the threads (with 'goo?') should be done right away, as few manufacturers lube them enough, or at all. Make sure to lube the o-ring too for smooth operation and longer o-ring life. Nyogel (from Lighthound) or equivalent is very good. O-ring life varies a lot, depending on keeping them in good condition (avoid nicks) and lubed. Generally, o-ring life is not too bad, and I think some people get away without lubing them at all.
I wouldn't worry about a little dust inside the lens. You risk more taking it apart, and dust typically does not affect the beam noticeably. If you touch the reflector, it will scratch very easily. Never touch the reflective surfaces.
Enjoy the light!

gooman said:
2. I have read people on the forum talking about 'lubricating' the threads with grease. Is this necessary to do now or after 6 months?
3. How long do the o-rings last typically
4. I noticed dust on the inside of the glass lens, is it okay to take it completely apart and wipe the cover from the inside?

wykeite

Newly Enlightened
Daniel_sk said:
I was wondering if I could use WD40 to clean the threads and then I'll aply Nyogel 760G?

You probably could but remember that WD40 contains hydrocarbons and leaves a residue which can attack some types of O ring. Better off with a can of electrical contact cleaner to wash the threads out. All the residue of that will evaporate. Then apply a basic silicone grease.

WD40 is one of those self hyped products with limited uses. There are cheaper alternatives and most are better.:sssh:

Last edited:

williamv0123

Newly Enlightened
Kilovolt said:
Hi gooman, welcome to CPF.:)

You made an excellent choice.
A small piece of advice: in your new L1D CE put an Energizer lithium battery L91, you will see a definite improvement in the brightness and also some welcome difference between high and turbo.

+1 on the L91. Lithiums really enhance the performance, plus they can sit for lenghty periods without discharging and work fine in temp xtremes. Welcome to CPF!..Good choice on the Fenix:twothumbs

Zax

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF gooman!

I got myself a L1D-CE as my first REAL light as well. It is definitely a WOW. Then i got myself an L0D-CE couple of days ago (arrived last friday). Bought it at first an excuse to finish off my remaining pile of AAA alkies before i started off with Eneloops. But was blown away by the brightness that little monster. Ended up EDCing the L0D-CE becoz of the tiny factor. They were both are awesome nonetheless and loved them.

Empyfree

Enlightened
Lock up your wallet! I stated on here not long ago... now look at my signiture line! I repeat... Lock up your wallet!

gunga

Flashaholic
Zax, go get yourself some 10440s and nano charger from AW. THen you can see what you Fenix LOD CE can do!

Yeah, I only started a few months ago too, now my light collection is overwhelming me...

taiji

Enlightened
I am currently running my L1D on 14500. It is amazing. The other day I was showing the L1D to a friend who needed some lights to take with her to Tibet so I put in an Energizer L91 in it and ...the L1D did not light up (WTH?), so I tried another L91 and still the same. I put the 14500 back in and the L1D works but apparently not with any 1.5v AA anymore. So now I no longer have the option of using regular AA batts. The L1D is still my current fave however. The output and throw is a perfect combination for most of what I need.

KeeperSD

Enlightened
Was looking for a thread to put this question into, this one seems the most appropriate. I have been looking into a Fenix, i really don't need the light for any purpose, but am looking to buy one to satisfy my curiousity and to see what the hype is all about. The majority of my lights are incan, except my first purchase which was an Inova T3.

What is the best option between the L0D, L1D or L2D? I don't want another 123 light so it is between these. Cost isn't really an consideration as they are all similar in price. Output also isn't really a consideration as i use a WE Raider for my work light and this Fenix won't be used for work or if it was it would be a third light to be used.

If it is small enough it may be carried in my top pocket at work, but considering the amount i already carry in my pockets, it would have to be quite light and small for me to bother, would a L0D be this light?

Your opinions will assist me in emptying my wallet........

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF gooman! I really like my L1D-CE. You made a good choice. Be careful how much time you spend here unless you have a fat bank account. I'm thinking about a second job to support my new addiction!
smile.gif