New LSH-P "Film" on Collimator

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmm

Newly Enlightened
I received the LS today and found a .650" round piece of thin clear plastic film attached to the front. It looked like the kind of soft mushy stuff you find atached to LCD displays and clear plastic parts to protect them during manufacturing and shipping.

I removed it, and the beam got tighter, brighter and in my mind "better".

Then I got to thinking, maybe it was some exotic and expensive stuff that was put there to shape the beam or recycle wasted photons and give an 800+ hour run time?
grin.gif
I don't remember anything similar being on my last LS when I received it.

John

sideman7

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering about that too... I was tempted to remove it because there were a couple of bubbles underneath it, but then thought that maybe it was there to protect the lens from keys or something (it is pretty squishy).

Is this only meant to protect it during shipping, or designed to be left there?

Saaby

Flashaholic
My guess:

There to protect durring shipping. No harm in leaving it on though, ESPECIALLY if it's bubble-free.

ON the subject of protective film...
My brother in law had the CD player in his truck replaced on warranty. The protective film was flawless so he left it on. He intended to leave it on until it got worn out at which time he'd take the film off and have a like-new display again. He was recently in an accident. A drink spilled in the accident so he had to have his interior detailed. The amaetur detailers took the film off the radio and then sprayed something (armor-all? spray wax?) on the radio that spotted the display
yellowlaugh.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
isn't that the protective sheild peter mentioned?

i thought i remember him saying it would add extra protection to the optics?

jmm

Newly Enlightened
I dunno. Mine had a couple of "bubbles" (or places where it looked like it wasn't firmly stuck to the front of the collimator), and generally looked kind of "weird".

So, now I've "modded" an LSH-P, without having having to summon up the forethought or skill demonstrated by someone like McGizmo.

John

LLLean

Enlightened
Can someone tell me exactly which part is the collimator? If i look at my LSH-P head thru the lens, i see some whitish translucent substance at the rim where the LED bulb meets the reflector. It only cover half the circumference. No idea what it is.

Also, is the lens Lexan or Pyrex or something else?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
the colminator is the clear, odd shaped thing that sits on the top of the led.

lexan is currently being used...but i am trying to talk peter into sapphire crystal
grin.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is Lexan (polycarbonate). We consider Lexan superior in durability and usefullness to pyrex. Lexan will absorb more shock and is easier to polish. Pyrex is typically used in incandescents because it can handle the heat of the hot filiment bulb. But in LEDs, Lexan is better in my opinion.

The plastic lens protector was added to some of the premiums as a little field test to see what you guys would do with it. The protector was Henry's idea and he uses the same thing on his Action light. You can use the light with it on or off, there are advantages either way and you can decide what you want. It is not intended to just protect the lens during shipping is intended to protect the lens during use. Frankly, I prefer it off for my own use, but it's your choice.

Peter Gransee

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
peter must have changed his mind somewhere then because i know i wouldn't make that kind of mistake
grin.gif

mst3k

Enlightened
I just received my LSH Premium and I'm happy to say that it is very much visibly brighter than my LSH Blem. The anodizing is very nice. It is a very nice light and has now become my EDC. I am curious as to the best method for removing the "lens protector" that you guys have referred to. I want to remove it, I can't seem to get it with my fingernail and I really don't want to scratch the lens.

Good Job Peter.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

How many of you guys own an original LS, and an LSH-P? I'm on the threshold of buying one of these, but I need to be sure it's that much better...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Aw hell...

I just jumped over the threshold
wink.gif

Flashaholic? Yep. In denial? Not anymore... LOL

jmm

Newly Enlightened
mst3k - I was going to tell you to wait for your fingernails to grow, cause that's what I used. Looks like your's either grew a lot in 2 hours, or you got a lot meaner while waiting.
smile.gif

John

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
glad you got it off. i was going to suggest you scrub it off with steel wool
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.