L2D-CE - Fried....

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, my new eneloops arrived today - I finally bit the bullet and decided to splash out and see what they are like. First thing I do ofcourse is to try a couple out in my reasonably new L2D-CE (got it a couple months ago roughly).

Hmm, doesn't work. So I open the head... theres a slightly odd smell.... then that sinking feeling... being the stupid idiot I am, I PUT THE BATTERIES IN BACKWARDS. How, I have no idea... I am usually really careful and this is the first time I've ever done anything like this.

So I think "maybe it has reverse polarity protection so I'll be OK" and try putting them in the right way.... the poor thing is dead... it gives out maybe half a lumen of light at maximum :shakehead

My second high power decent light (first was P1D-CE) and I have to be an idiot and kill it .... :ohgeez:

Is there any way I can repair it? I want to avoid buying a complete new one if I can since I can't afford to do that again for a while... I know it's my fault and I'm kicking myself for this.....

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even if you could buy separate parts, you don't know the extent of the damage. You'd better change the complete head and have again a brand new torch.:broke:

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I'm still kicking myself for it, how could I be so stupid :( I think it's the electronics rather than the emitter, as the head now warms up pretty hot (if I run it for a while, then touch the inside where the + end of the battery connects) and it's getting dimmer all the time.

Ah well, it'll have to sit and wait until I can afford to get a new head... atleast I can save a bit by not having to buy the entire thing >_>

Maybe I can open the head and save the emitter for something else as it seems that may have survived.

BillMPL

Newly Enlightened
He gets all my business too. Service like I've never seen anywhere else! :wow:

:bow: All Hail King David!!!

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's nice to see that we have such stand-up dealers here on CPF...good job, 4sevens!

Are you going to stock LOD-CE heads by any chance?

Last edited:

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I don't buy Fenix lights anymore so I don't use Fenix-Store these days, but David's actions are pure class (some things never change). :thumbsup:

CFU

alphazeta

Enlightened
Wow, I didn't expect David to offer a replacement in this specific case. That's really impressive! Talk about above and beyond.
I'm glad that I heeded CPF advice & started placing my Fenix orders thru him also. That's some reliable support if any of us should ever need it...

xhackr

Newly Enlightened
The exact light I was considering, but without a protection circuit gave me pause. Admittedly, putting the batteries in reverse is unlikely, but the consequences serious.

However, with customer service like that, I'm sold. I thought I saw a coupon for the Fenix Store floating around here.

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
Way to go David!! That kind of excellent service and your quality Fenix lights are the reason I will continue to use and recommend your fine store!!:twothumbs

Weskix

Newly Enlightened
David is great, He once offered a replacement for my P1 which arrived as a dud but was not purchased from his store. I was not aware of his store at the time of purchase, but he said if the vendor I purchased the P1 from didn't want to help me out, he would do everything he could to make me a happy fenix owner. That kind of thing certainly does not happen very often, and its nice to see a person go out of his way to make everything right even if he is in now way obligated to.