Fenix L2D Q5 Issue

MBurke

Newly Enlightened
I have an older Fenix L2D Q5 Olive body that Won't go into Turbo mode.
I unscrew the head 1/8 of a turn...
Lights goes in to Low, Med, High, SOS
But while in High mode and I tighten the head back on it doesn't get any brighter (go into Turbo )
All three of my other L2Ds work that way.
And when I tighten the head on click in on it is Clearly dimmer that my other three L2Ds
I tried the bad head with another body and that didn't work either. I am sure its the Q5 Head that is Bad
I have cleaned all the threads, checked the tail cap..even took the tail cap apart and cleaned everything up.
Still is dimmer than the other lights. No Turbo. I have tried different batteries in all.

Any ideas on what could be wrong ?
Any Suggestions ?
Thanks

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you feel about taking the pill out of the head? It's quite easy to do, and you can by pass the tube by hooking up the batteries directly.

AB8XL

Enlightened
The outer ring on the PCB isn't making contact to the tube to complete the ground connection. This is what makes the light go to turbo mode. If all surfaces are clean and not making contact I would then suggest building up the outer ring with a thin layer of solder, over time the ring of copper on the outer edge of the PCB will wear down, hope this helps.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try THIS simple paperclip bypass test first. You'll probably need to touch both the PCB outer ring and the bare threads at the same time (for loose/tight bezel UIs), hence use a rounded paperclip end. Tap the threads (only) to cycle up to high, and then slide (maintaining thread contact) the paperclip down to touch the PCB outer ring for turbo. If you need more room to work with, use 2AAAs taped in series (Eneloops, Lithium primaries or NEW Alks will have enough amperage to distinguish turbo from high).

My guess is a faulty head though, if you can trace a purchase back through Fenixlighting (distributor for REI, Amazon and others) they offer a lifetime guarantee that exceeds the manufacturer.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
If not for the fact you tested multiple batteries that would be my guess. I have an olive L2D-Q5. Even today it's still respectable IMHO and has nice clean lines. Don't like the lack of polarity protection though.

MBurke

Newly Enlightened
Thanks
Could i get another thin washer and put in there so it makes contact ?

MBurke

Newly Enlightened
I have tried the paper clip jumper and made a small thin brass washer and neither worked....No Turbo
I sent a email to Fenix but haven't heard anything back yet. I would be willing to send it to someone here if you want to mess around with it.

AB8XL

Enlightened
That's a bummer, I'd be willing to look at it for you if you would like. Is the via filled with solder that leads to the outer ring? it would be the last one on the right.

MBurke

Newly Enlightened
Yea...looks like its full to me...but I could be wrong.
I sent you a PM :)

Latest posts