~Update: Ultrafire w/o Rebel LEDs

LA OZ

Enlightened
Re: Kaidomain ~Ultrafire w/ Rebel LEDs

How is the rebel compared with Cree anyone?

Not a Rebel Led? I am not surprise as it is made by Ultrafire. They are not reliable and I do not trust their products.

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

+

Looking at the beamshot for the B2, to me it looks way more than 26lm from the Luxeon PWT @ 350mA.

Could it be possible some other lights were test runs using the PWT as to sort out the small form factor for upcoming Rebels?

Gunner12

Flashaholic

I remember Mattk saying something about a different PWT that can be pulsed up to 1 amp. Same kind the is used in the new Inova X1. But still no Rebel.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast

They both look like rebel emitters to me...

I'd be concerned about how well the emitter is centered in the reflector as I doubt the reflector was specifically designed for a rebel.

mar3

Newly Enlightened
Re: ~Ultrafire w/ Rebel LEDs

url%5D
PhantomPhoton -reflector from this torch is the same as Fenix reflectors( aluminum made, and dimensions) Sole difference between them is hole for led( B1 reflector has smallest hole)

I have changed original led on seul "U" bin, now i have wall of light

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/3756/b1seuljb1.jpg

edit: Torch has such driver - http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4451

from 1AA ni-mh gives over 350mA to led, conscription of current total is ~ 1,2A
from li-ion 14500 gives 400mA to led, total is ~550mA

b1seuljb1.jpg

b1seuljb1.jpg

Last edited:

Gryloc

Enlightened
Re: ~Ultrafire w/ Rebel LEDs

Hey, I was convinced, when looking at the pictures, that the LED in that 1AA flashlight was a Rebel. I am refering to this light mentioned before:
https://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=1929

I was thinking of getting one for that matter. I worked with some PWT LEDs before, and I knew that they were not that tiny, and the Rebel seemed more reasonable.
However, I looked at the picture better, then I re-checked the datasheets from Lumileds and came up with a conclusion. Typical me, I get into something and not work on what I should (study for finals). I drew this up in PSP8 just to give you a better idea on the true sizes. Click on the image for the bigger picture:

As you can see, 10 pixels was made equal to 1.0mm, and I drew the PWT, Rebel and K2 LEDs to scale the best I could. The die sizes are approximate and there for reference (to make the drawings look more familiar). I also placed the picture of the 1AA flashlight next to the drawing to compare with. This 1AA flashlight body looks identical (same body sections) to my MTE Seoul 1AA flashlight and that classic $5 1AA 1W flashlight (which I own both). I measured my light and it was 20.15mm in diameter ~+/-0.5mm.

So I hope you came up to the same conclusion that the PICTURE shows that the flashlight has the PWT LED and not the Rebel. I do not know why the lights would contain the PWT (if it IS what is in the pictures provided), since the Rebel is about the same price as that outdated PWT. The PWT was so inefficient and difficult to mount to anything. It was about the same in brightness as the standard Luxeon I. I hope that they sell a light with the Rebel. That would be cool and different. I stil need to get a few Rebels, once I am willing to spend $9 just on shipping from Future Electronics. I have some ideas for them. Well, I hope someone gets this cleared up. If someone buys one, post with your findings. Thanks for bringing this up!

-Tony

RE-EDIT: Oh crap! I a made some changes to this message due to a big mistake I made (bringing DX into this, when Kaidomain is the one selling the light). I should have also looked at that link from Mar3 much earlier. If you scroll down (and not read any of the text), you will find the big, clear picture of the LED used. Yep, it is the lousy PWT! That stinks...

Last edited:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

How is the rebel compared with Cree anyone?

Not a Rebel Led? I am not surprise as it is made by Ultrafire. They are not reliable and I do not trust their products.

Nothing on the light says it uses a Rebel so I wouldn't necessarily take aim at Ultrafire. The light says USA Luxeon LED on the body so I'd say this is more BS from Kaidomain based on the research done here. Kaidomain is reaching an all time low in trust level IMO. BTW thanks GryLoc for all your work and excellent research on that. Now get back to studying :D

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

Kai finally emailed me today and said that these lights in fact do have the LUXEON® Portable PWT LEDs and no Rebel.
Kaidomain also updated their webpage for these lights today...

With the Rexlight issues and the DDOS attacks, I would think he would make sure nothing like this would happen ~ Not good for consumer confidence.

Kai, if you are reading this, work with us here!!!

Last edited:

al2k

Newly Enlightened
Just received 3 in the mail yesterday - definitely no Rebel judging by how dim these are (I'd say around 30 lumen). Current draw from a fully charged NiMH Eneloop is 1.3A - tint on all of them varies widely, with none being very good. Purchased these thinking they were Rebel's so I'm a bit disappointed. Time to add these to the give-away bin ;).