Inova T3: Old v. New?

Confederate

Enlightened
Inova just produced a new version of its T3. It now takes three 123A cells and outputs at 100 lumens opposed to the old version that takes two 123A cells and outputs at 85 lumens.

Is this an improvement or a flaw in marketing? Does one get enough extra light to make it worth expending one extra cell? Both versions are good out to an advertised 250'. Does anyone have one of each and is the change worth it?

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another difference in the two T3s is the beam pattern. The older T3 employed TIROS technology to produce a very narrow, ringy beam. Inova has changed over from TIROS to using reflectors in their newest models to provide spill.

You can see the confusion produced by using the same T3 model name to refer to two quite different flashlights.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
When i compared the two at a 10 foot distance on a white wall the new T3 was significantly brighter and the hot spot was a little bit wider.

I gave away the old T3, was unused though. I regret getting the new T3 though because of the potential of the new cree lights, it could be that bright but last for twice as long in some other light. Plus the T-3s dont have cool features like a pocket clip or spaces in the bevel for striking or putting it on its head and being able to see its on.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the new T3 and have had the old T4 in trios. The new T3 is brighter, but I think it only puts out 65-75 lumans because all my cree lights are significantly brighter while using 1 (or 2 with the D-mini) less cells. Up close the beam of my T3 apears slightly brighter than my Lumapower M3's beam. But at 8 feet, the M3 apears slightly brighter because of its brighter sidespill.

You can look at Flashlight Reviews.com to see how the M3's output compares to other lights. So bottom line is, the Inova T3 (new) is a good light, but brighter more effecient lights can also be had for the money. But brighter and more effecient are not always everything.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Amen, I dont think there are many other flashlights that could withstand the abuse as an INOVA.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
you are most likely right there. I love my Cree light, but my favorite light at present is my SurvivorLED for its durability. It is just hard to feed the inova T3 3123a's and not get more light or a longer runtime. 2XAW 17500's might do the trick though.

pilou

Enlightened
Is this an improvement or a flaw in marketing?

It's previous marketing claim catching up with them :crackup: I think the lumens they rate are the "maximum capable at emitter." It doesn't mean they drive them to output the max, and it certainly does not mean that's what makes it out of the lens.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rather than compare the old and new versions of the Inova T3, it may make more sense to compare the older TIROS T3 to the new, just released reflectorized T2.

Each is powered by 2 CR123A batteries and have flared heads.

I suspect there are mistakes in the specifications listed at Inova's web site.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Good point. The new T3 is of course brighter than the old one with the brighter bub.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new T3 is a tough light. It is also very dectntly bright, I would say between a p60 and p61 bulb from SF. I am sure it could survive a good amount of abuse. I beat the H*ll out of my T5 trying to get the trios optic out of it, and it still worked until I shot it a couple of times with a 50 BMG
crackup.gif

Just kidding, but it did take 30 minutes of hammering and banging it hard against a post before it finally died. They are good lights.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rather than compare the old and new versions of the Inova T3, it may make more sense to compare the older TIROS T3 to the new, just released reflectorized T2.

Each is powered by 2 CR123A batteries and have flared heads.

I suspect there are mistakes in the specifications listed at Inova's web site.

Good point. The new T3 gets 1 more cell. It really needs 2 AW 17500's to make it a great light. Then the lumans are free!

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
But then you lose some of the brightness dont you? I was looking into getting those batteries, and i talked to the guys at battery unction, and they said since i use it as my backup flashlight on patrol the lithiums are a better more reliable choice.

ensile

Enlightened
the t3'06 has a nice wide creamy full beam, theres no imperfections, it's not hard to see what you're looking at, inside or out, the light pushed a high number of lumens out. I cannot judge i don't have the equipment to test or the experience to accurately guesstimate, The one thing I can say for sure is that, inova has made the closest thing toward a near perfect beam all around, it's got a really bright spill, and a great hot spot, it does wash out into a fizzled hot spot over a distance compared to my d-mini, it still reaches the places the d-mini can, light is spread over a larger distance when compared to the d-mini is all. Optimal use would be 5 - 60ft though in pitch darkness probably alot more. With suburban ambient light the spot was hitting tree's noticable at 60(ish) ft, which to me was good, considering it's style of reflector.

The t3 covers a decent area with light, when outdoors, the beam colour is a warmish red, but has a white tone so things appear almost natural under it's light, it's good, i like the beam and power. I think that with a cree, or 10 - 15 more lumens (in saying that, it's not 'really' needed, it's a sleek light with balls) about another 2 hours (5 total would be nice, too much to ask ?) runtime, would make this light Vveerrry attractive to any flashaholic, it's for the core inova fans only, or someone who appreciates a quality beam and doesn't mind fussing with it's batteries. I think people who need a beast light within a rather compact but noticeble package will enjoy this light, an officer would probably like the extra weight compared to a tiny p2d or something, I can only assume.

If this is considered for a police officer who works night duty, i think if the beam is anything like the t3, the t4 would be more than suitable, that has 25 more lumens (on the box), and i believe the t3 has enough but who can argue with extra lumens + rechargeble cradle. I know the money is high, but for a t4 you have to consider the value, you get the torch, battery, cradle, AC/DC packs, Inova buildQ, Inova warranty. Dunno about you, but it seems like the positives weigh up.

Good luck

Note. My kitchen combined living room gets entirely lit with this torch, indoors, it's insane. it's more than good, outdoors 5 - 40ft (backyards etc) Really good, for any inova fans who miss the tiros, hold onto your tiros because they have a purpose and a style of their own, they are not obsolete, but this new t3 is 'almost' a flood lamp with a good hotspot, but it's just inova reminding you that 100.L's can be shaped properly. In all respect it is NOT dim, it's a proper torch, and the build quality is the same, it's rock solid. It's a pity the run time is not around the 5 - 10 hour mark. i think inova play it safe, they are in the market as the 'reliable' one as they have alot of workers who need to rely on these torches, just because the light is not CREE does not mean that inova are behind in technology, their build methods are very good value for money, inova have had 'warmer' tint's in their T' series the Cree Looks very different next too the k2, it's a warm tint, and blue tint, it's noticeble. whether Inova avoid those tints for tactical lights is over me, there's a reason why.

When I sit and look at it, I appreciate the way they build things, i feel safe with it. When I hit the momentary, she wails. Yes it's not as impressive in terms of spot compared to a d-mini (all i have in that reflector size to compare too), but we are not talking about the same lights here, the d-mini has a dimi spill, the t3 is spill monster with considerable throw for it's reasons. Dont expect to keep a tight spot like a d-mini, this is an all round, reliable get up and go badboy.

Cheers

[/rant]

Last edited:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
But then you lose some of the brightness dont you? I was looking into getting those batteries, and i talked to the guys at battery unction, and they said since i use it as my backup flashlight on patrol the lithiums are a better more reliable choice.

I do not think you will loose anything with 2 AW 17500's at 3.7v each. They actually come off the charger at a little over 4 volts (I hear). I used the pair to power the 3x123a tl3 incan from streamlight. The light apeard ever so slightly brighter at the start than with the primaries and it did not dim nearly as quickly. 2 17500's should also give decent runtime I would imagine. If I was using the light for patrol, I would want to check out how long for myself though. Nothing sucks worse than protected lithiums quick trip to black when you are in a dark place.

I used to use 17500's in my old T5 (trios) with no dimming or problems.