need ideas on a bug-out light

copierguy_mobile

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to build a couple of bug-out bags and I'm in need of a flashlight for the project.

After looking at flashlight reviews, I was all set to go and buy 2-3 Streamlight propolly 4AA's but it would seem that the light he reviewed is no longer made and has been replaced by a 7 led version that I'm a little wary of.

requirements for this light are:

It must be able to run on AA lithium batteries (as will everything else in the bag)

Minimum run time is 4 hours

A bright floody beam is preferable

Needs to be under $40

Should be shock and water resistant (I like poly for this, but it's not a must)

Should be a bright color or glow in the dark, etc (gotta find it when the lights are out [grin])

Thanks in advance, Let me know what you think.

copierguy_mobile

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Fenris, I found it.

Streamlight is as bad as Inova with the names. I count 6 lights on thier product selector listed as "4AA Propolymer".

and qip, I'll take a look at your mini.

jtice

Flashaholic
The 7 LED version used 5mm leds, and is the older version.
It is much more of a flood light, but its not near as nice as the new Luxeon version.
I have 4 of these lights, and they are fantastic, they have all seen rain, water, and caves.
I think it would fit your needs perfectly.
I have also ran Lithiums in mine with no problems, that would also be good for a BOB.
If you can find an original UK 4AA LED, those are great also.
Not all that bright, but a nice wide flood, a bit smaller, and last 10 hours vs. the SL Polys 6 hours.

~John

lukus

Enlightened
Bug out Bag - a bag of necessities and emergency supplies that you have with you or can grab quickly if the need arises to leave quickly. Could be natural disaster ( e.g. hurricane, tornado ), or man made ( riots, Mr. Police knockin at the door ).

GreySave

Enlightened
<< Bug out Bag - a bag of necessities and emergency supplies that you have with you or can grab quickly >>

Same as what I sometimes refer to as a "jump kit." For us it is enough quick access supplies and gear to get by for 8-36 hours without support if need be.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would also look at UK lights. Streamlights are great, but Lithiums can hurt them. Lithiums also make flashlights lighter and run 3X longer than alkalines at high levels. I would love my SL SurvivorLED sooo much more if it could run on lighiums, but it warns against using them.