the li on thing

photo2000a

Newly Enlightened
hi

was hoping that i could get a little condensed advise on the issue of Li-on powered dual and single battery powered LED lights.

Their are just too many posts to read

I have a surefire 2 cell 123 light, it's a bit old now but still on the 2 factory batteries. What i wonder is what is the danger that this is going to 'blowup'? If for example I buy 2 new SF or a double 123 package of duracells will this mitigate the issue?

if not how can i make it safe""?, basically i'd like to be able to use this 2 cell SF light but with confidence it's not going to go poof

same questions regarding my 1 cell lights which are either 123 or it's rechargeable variants

thanks very much just after reading abunch of posts i got confused

photo2000a

Newly Enlightened
If I had to pick just one thread to read, to learn as much as possible, I think it would almost certainly be this_one.

thanks very much for the link, it's great But... didn't really answer what i was looking for

so i have this 2 cell 123 sf, it's about a yr old got the factory batteries still,
question is , is this unsafe about to blowup? should i consider it 'ok'??

if i need to replace the batteries is buying for example off the shelf double packed duracells ok?

or is just having a 2 cell 123 light risky ?

i just can't read all the posts and those that i do sort of confuse me a little , my take away was if my only recourse is to test batteries then i'd shy away ?? but perhaps i missed something

thanks

DM51

Flashaholic
It is perfectly safe. You would only risk a problem if you mixed up 2 cells where one was newer or stronger than the other. As long as you use 2 matched cells you are fine. Duracell are good, and if they are twin-pack like the ones you seen, you know they are the same age and batch and therefore OK to be used together. And the light is OK as it is at the moment with the 2 cells it came with from the factory, for the same reason - they are the same age. Lithiums primaries (throwaways - not to be confused with Li-Ion rechargeables, which are completely different) have a 10 year shelf life, and will be OK until they lose power. When they do, chuck them both at once - don't put just 1 fresh one on top of an almost dead one, as THAT is how problems can happen.