Q4 bin Cree XR-E

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just noticed that Cutter electronics are offering Q4 bin Cree XR-E from the 28th june 2007. Anyone have any info on these? I can't find them on the Cree website.

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no such thing like a Q4 flux bin. Check out the Cree documents, maximum is Q3 (and even those aren't available yet). Even if they made a mistake and it should be Q3 instead of Q4, I highly doubt they can supply it from June 28. Look at what happened in the past, it isn't the first time Cutter publishes a very unrealistic delivery date.

ICUDoc

Enlightened
I found them on the Cutter website- just search for xre then select the bin on the drop-down menu. It's an extra 5.50 over the standard bin.
Wonder what they put out at 1000mA???

Calina

Enlightened
I guess this has to be repeated before it sinks in :
"There is no such thing like a Q4 flux bin" , not at this point in time anyway.

The Q3 bin have been talked about a lot but nobody has seen one yet, unless they are very well connected with CREE.

So it is likely that Cutter is referring to Q3 but as mentioned by Erasmus :
It isn't the first time Cutter publishes a very unrealistic delivery date.

easilyled

Flashaholic
I guess this has to be repeated before it sinks in :
"There is no such thing like a Q4 flux bin" , not at this point in time anyway.

Well its bound to cause confusion if there is a Q4 mentioned on the site as
two others here have seen - especially if its listed at a higher flux than the
Q3.

Perhaps we should say that up until now a Q4 flux bin has never been mentioned
or referred to rather than saying "there's no such thing".

Its not inconceivable that a higher flux bin could have been added without anyone knowing up until now.

Calina

Enlightened
So it seems they are real, WOW!

I hope that the price quote by WeLight (Cutter) is in Au$ otherwise they are cheaper on Cutter's site.

MikeRD03

Newly Enlightened
That´s awesome. With around 103 Lumen/Watt der XR-E beats every other highpower emitter including der Seoul P4! On the paper it should give a boost with around 15% more Light.

I´m curious to see my luxmeter with this new binning.. :)

greets
MikeRD03

RustyKnee

Enlightened
that sales link has been closed. was in the wrong section apparently. I hope the prices were in aus dollar too. has it been reposted elsewhere, i can't see it anywhere.

Stu

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I seem to remember that Cutter announced the XR-E before it actually appeared on the Cree website and no one took them seriously. That was the first I'd heard of the XR-E. So I think there is truth behind their announcement of the Q4 bin even if the delivery date is a little optimistic.

Judging by the specs of the Q3 bin, the Q4 bin will be the first to match or exceed that of the SSC in terms of efficiency and maximum output.

MikeRD03

Newly Enlightened
The Q4 binning is there (or perhaps was cause they are sold out already :) )
I´m sure it´s for real because a know somebody who bought some of this type from cutter and paid for it. So it can not be vaporware - it´s hardware ;-)

Perhaps cree was surprised itself that they are able to produce this high quality and there was no time to correct the datasheets ;-)

greets
MikeRD03

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Judging by the specs of the Q3 bin, the Q4 bin will be the first to match or exceed that of the SSC in terms of efficiency and maximum output.
Keep in mind that while it will be the first Cree to exceed SSC output in lumens/amp, the Crees have generally operated at a lower foward voltage, so the current SSC and Cree LEDs are actually about the same in lumens/watt already. I think it's good that there's an improved flux bin Cree coming out. Between the two, I greatly prefer the packaging of the Cree to the SSC.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
And the LED technology ball just keeps rolling... I prefer the form factor of the SSC (a better fit for direct swap outs on existing Luxeon flashlights). With that said, I do like the CreeXREs too and I'm glad they've raised the bar once again...all while Lumileds still has yet to pull out their top offerings. I guess there'll be room for it as us flashaholics always welcome technology advances.

Calina

Enlightened
the price went up on Cutter's site since yesterday!
str.gif