LED Car Tail-Lights

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
First WELCOME BACK cpf - I was starting to get withdrwal symptoms!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm just starting to take notice of LED car tail lights.

Yesterday afternoon during daylight, I saw brake lights come on, that were undoubtedly LEDs.

Actually quite attractively arranged in a circle as radii.

I didn't have time to count the number of LEDs used - but it must have been in the region of about 60 to 100?

I understand that LEDs are more efficient and last much longer than any incandescent light bulb, but is it really cheaper to use that many LEDs when compared to a single incandescent bulb?

The thing was it was on a brand new (temporary tags) Hyundai Accent - what can be best described as a budget/economy car.

c442323a.jpg

Entropy

Enlightened
Definately not cheaper initially, but it's a slight selling point ("Hey, you'll never have to change your taillight bulb!") and also a safety issue. A couple of studies have shown that the extra fractions of a second that an incandescent delays brake lights at turnon is equivalent to half a car length to a full car length or more.

Lagged2Death

Newly Enlightened
You wouldn't expect the LEDs to be cheaper, but then I started thinking:

<ul type="square">[*]The LED tail-light has no reflector to design, test, certify, build and assemble
[*] The LED module itself is probably slimmer than the lamp/reflector it replaces, making for greater design flexibility (and possibly savings) in the trunk area
[*] Because the LEDs don't have to be replaced in normal service, no access panel to change the bulb has to be designed, built, and assembled
[*] The same LED module may be useable in several different car designs, whereas the lamp/reflector assembly probably has to be redesigned for every tiny little styling change
[*] The higher efficiency of LEDs (when compared to filtered incandescents) may make it possible to skimp in other areas - using thinner wires, for example.
[/list]

I wonder if, looking at the big picture, the cost could be slightly lower or at least comparable to using incandescents, at least when you're designing a new car from scratch. I sure wish my car had these; I looked at the manual and replacing the bulbs will be very hard, when it's time.