Can Fenix L1D/L2D Cree be swapped?

moses

Enlightened
Anyone successfully swap out the Cree for the L1D/L2D? How difficult?

Thanks,
Mo

wintermute

Enlightened
I am interested in this as well. I have one of the Q2 L2D CE on order. They Q2s the are using evidently have a chromaticity of WG - which is a bit warmer then I like. I was thinking about just buying it, and when I can find a WC or WD bin just swapping them out and selling the Q2 to someone who likes that warm color.

But then I had another thought...Can the Cree in the L2D CE be swapped out with a SSC P4?? There are plenty of WSXOH emitters out there at the moment. Is that a swap which could be done, or are the Crees in the L2Ds on the 14mm or 16mm base??

Last edited:

discoverEDC

Enlightened
I installed an SSC P4. Be very careful to keep the bottom of the slug from contacting the post it will sit on for the heat sink. I shorted out my LE and had to buy a new one from four7's. The two part thermal epoxy from the Shoppe and a very thin shim fixed the problem. I also bought an McR-18S to go along with the Soule. The beam is very nice, I'm not certain how the Q2 reflector will work with a Soule. My max lux dropped from 2,200 to 1,340, YMMV with the Q2 reflector.

Edit: The cree is not on a star, it is a bare emitter. The emitter sits on a post in the heatsink with the edges of the ceramic base overlapping the edges of the post.

Last edited: