Anyone have trouble getting their light through airline security?

IdahoDoug

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking at one of the models that has a crennelated bezel, also known as a strike bezel for breaking glass or using as a weapon. I'm concerned about the reaction at an airline security point with the name (Striker defender) causing implications, and the perhaps growing awareness that one could severely injure a fellow passenger or crew with this bezel.

In addition, there's a possibility a person running the X ray machine may take umbrage with the wiring, heat sinks and circuit board inside of what's (cough) supposed to be a mere flashlight. As in "Sir, could you explain to me why a simple penlight needs all this additional circuitry,....zactly??" "And you say it has some kinda disabling strobe function to disorient an attacker? Hmm - starting to not only look like a weapon (crennellated head), but sound like one too.. Better come with me" Great way to start a trip with the family - watch Daddy get dragged off to an interrogation room about his high performance flashlight.

So. Has anyone had issues like this come up while traveling? I'd rather not be the first to lose a $100 high output flashlight to the numbnuts running many airport security gates.

DougM

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking at one of the models that has a crennelated bezel, also known as a strike bezel for breaking glass or using as a weapon. I'm concerned about the reaction at an airline security point with the name (Striker defender) causing implications, and the perhaps growing awareness that one could severely injure a fellow passenger or crew with this bezel.

In addition, there's a possibility a person running the X ray machine may take umbrage with the wiring, heat sinks and circuit board inside of what's (cough) supposed to be a mere flashlight. As in "Sir, could you explain to me why a simple penlight needs all this additional circuitry,....zactly??" "And you say it has some kinda disabling strobe function to disorient an attacker? Hmm - starting to not only look like a weapon (crennellated head), but sound like one too.. Better come with me" Great way to start a trip with the family - watch Daddy get dragged off to an interrogation room about his high performance flashlight.

So. Has anyone had issues like this come up while traveling? I'd rather not be the first to lose a $100 high output flashlight to the numbnuts running many airport security gates.

DougM

I would stay from carrying lights with significant crenations.
My wife recently went to New Orleans and had no troubles carrying her Gladius.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
My EDC looks like the Batbelt, with suspenders to hold it up. No problems for flying, but you'll have to take everything off, which may take a few minutes. I haven't had to explain or demonstrate anything.

Oh, and no knives if you're flying. Can't forget about that.

What I sometimes do is wear jeans with no belt, a T-shirt, and flip-flops (usually I wear steel-toe boots), check everything, and just make sure I have my ticket/boarding pass and ID.

X_Marine

Enlightened
Just made a trip to Vegas in May, and had no trouble with an Exolion on keys and my Draco which I just attached to my wallet chain for going through detectors. No questions.
I think unless it is a larger light there is no problem.

One member said he always carries an envelope pre-stamped and addressed just incase so you can mail it home.
I took one with my destination for going so If needed I could just drop in a mailbox and it would meet me there. And then a label with home addy for return trip.

GL and have a great time.
X..

gorn

Enlightened
I had Surefire E1e in a pelican case with my digital camera. The Xray security pointed it out to the screener who asked me to open my case. He asked me what it was and I showed him. He thanked me and sent me on my way.

DM51

Flashaholic
There's been a discussion about this in this_thread. Most people seem to be reporting no problems, even with large lights like the M6, but I think you are right to be cautious. Usually if you can demonstrate that the light works, and can show it contains nothing other than batteries, security people will be OK with it. Crenelated "strike" bezels just draw unnecessary attention to themselves, and you should probably avoid carrying these in hand-baggage.

wintermute

Enlightened
I would stay from carrying lights with significant crenations.
My wife recently went to New Orleans and had no troubles carrying her Gladius.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

Your wife caries a Gladius...that might be considered a little sexy in the world of flashaholics here.