New Bolt AAA, perfect hip pocket light?

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my new Bolt AAA and I really like it. It may just be the perfect hip pocket light. It slips in and stand up perfectly, the bezel rides just below the seam which keeps it in place nicely. It is small enough to ride there unobtrusively while sitting. The rubber grip seems to help it "stick" in place also, great little design. It should be decent to use in cold weather too.

I cant wait to see how it performs in the dark tonight, but so far...

Me likee.... me really likee...

mhubble

Enlightened
I had one of those and found the switch way too sensitive to carry in a back pocket. With the cap partially unscrewed all you had to do was touch it and it would come on. I would like to see a simple click on/off switch.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you unscrew it enough, it does not go on too easily from what I have seen so far. I much prefer a twist to a clickie personally. I have had more click switches fail than twisties.

Just another thing to show how many different preferences there are for different people :).

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like it, I have used it probably every day since getting it. The output is good for what I want it for which is a general replacement for my favorite old AAA Minimag (it is very much brighter than the old Minimag AAA with an SMJLED dropin) and companion to my L0P SE. Its not in the Cree output range obviously. The only thing I miss from the Minimag is the pocket clip, wish this one had one.

One thing I found I really like is the rubber cover, it makes this a light you can actually stick in your mouth and use. Not something I have done much because of expensive bridgework on front teeth, but this one I felt ok about it one night. And it was actually comfortable, and not too thick to grip well with the teeth. It should be good in cold weather also, which is the one negative I ever had with my other Inovas and their slick metal body. I may have to eventually try the other Bolts, specifically the CR123 for keeping in the car in winter, if my old Inova X0s need replacing some day.

The squared bezel makes it nice to sit it down and work on something, like when I put my new Bowflex together last weekend and needed to see a few low bolt holes. I was too lazy to get up and go find my headlamp, the Bolt worked great and did not roll away like other lights have in the past.

I like the momentary on button better than the old Inovas, it has a nicer more positive feel to it. One small thing I like is they did NOT change how the batteries are put in, something that would have screwed me up because of the other Inovas I use.

I really like it, a lot.

Last edited: