How to make A2 & M6 rechargeable?

TerryD

Newly Enlightened
I have searched and searched. But am still confused.

What rechargeable battery and charger do I need to go rechargeable on my A2?

And has anyone found a way to do it with the stock 250 lumen bulb and rechargeables yet on the M6?

defusion

Enlightened
neither of those have optimal rechargeable options.
the A2 uses a regulator to drive the the incan bulb, and 2 RCR123 batteries will work in it. but the leds in the A2 aren't regulated, so they get too much voltage, which causes them to deteriorate over time.
there are no rechargeable options for the M6 that work with the MN20 bulb either. there are other possibilities that involve a bi-pin bulb holder that fits the M6, and a bulb at the proper voltage of your choosing to run in it, and some RCR123's in the MB20 battery holder.

an option for the A2 though, get an aviatrix replacement ring for the LED's. CPF user "atomic chicken" makes these, and these DO work with rechargeable batteries in the A2, and since the regulator can already handle the high voltage provided by the 2 RCR123's, this is a very worthwhile upgrade!

Last edited:

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi and welcome to CPF! :wave:
There have been numerous threads about this, here is a good start - A2 thread index. You can find three threads about using rechargeables in the A2 in this "index".
The quick answer is - I wouldn't recommend using rechargeables in a stock A2, the lamp will work without any problems - but the LEDs are in direct drive and the higher current from rechargeable batteries could damage them over time. There is a solution - called Aviatrix, it's an replacement LED ring made by Atomic Chicken, a CPF member - more info is also in the thread index. This replacement LED ring can handle the higher current (and has some new features, like low/high setting, strobe, different colors...).

rdh226

Enlightened
One M6 solution is FiveMega's http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=119527

I found the 26mm extender tube a bit too long for the 6 x 17500 holder, but a Mag D-cell
spring fits into the M6 tailcap, and is just right.

Fully charged LiIon is a bit hot, but if you use the "lo-V" charge (4.1V/cell) might be what
you want.

Other solutions have appeared, but none are actually available to my knowledge.

-RDH

seattlite

Enlightened
Here is some reading material on the Jim Sexton M6R regulated battery pack. I have one and have been running 500+ guilt free lumens for a little over a year now. IMHO, this is the BEST solution for a rechargeable M6 since it was designed as a "drop in". Besides the M6R pack, the only other item thats required is a $20 multicell charger. Sometimes these packs come up for sale on custom B/S/T.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=142517
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/64008
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=79916

cy

Flashaholic
been using 2x R123 li-ion in A2 for close to a year now.

I'm one of the lucky ones that's got a M6R pack. worry not there's a development project to produce M6R-L (w/li-ion) in the works.

seattlite

Enlightened
Lumens might be the same, but beem charactaristics are not, and the 10X does not have a non-rechargeable option. Plus, the M6 is WAY cooler than the 10X.

Like Cy, I've been running 2xRCR123's(3.7v) for over a year in my A2 with no problems.

If you want an M6 form factor recahrgeable, those Microfire HID's are cool alternatives, and way more light output.

If you want M6 like output in a rechargable package, just buy a 10X Dominator.

cbubu

Newly Enlightened
@ Cy and seattlite : what is the color of your LED's in the A2 ? (I read that the red ones are more tolerant w/ 2xRCR123's)

defusion

Enlightened
been using 2x R123 li-ion in A2 for close to a year now.

I'm one of the lucky ones that's got a M6R pack. worry not there's a development project to produce M6R-L (w/li-ion) in the works.
cy, since you have an M6, i was wondering, would it be possible to just modify the MB20 to instead of having 2 parallels of 3 batteries, to do 3 parallels of 2 batteries? that way you would have 6 RCR123's running on 7.4v. probably won't run the MN21 though :(
if it would fit 3x 18650, and a regulation circuit would be best, but I'm not sure it will fit. 17670's probably don't have the juice either (or at least it won't be the best solution).

cy

Flashaholic
LED's on A2 are white. got an atomic chicken module of blue and red leds in the works for blood tracking.

no issues with my A2 with 2x R123. preference is 1x li-ion cell lights.
bare cells barely fits inside A2 and works well. R123 is recharged with schulze in singles.

loads of threads spent on different M6 battery configs.

when you modify M6 with other than a straight dropin battery pack. ability to use Surefire bulb (NM21) with stock M6 carrier loaded with fresh CR123 goes away.

greatest danger of using li-ion cells occurs during recharging.
safest way to recharge li-ion is in singles.

cbubu; said:
@ Cy and seattlite : what is the color of your LED's in the A2 ? (I read that the red ones are more tolerant w/ 2xRCR123's)

TerryD

Newly Enlightened

They are the white LED's.

This is a lot to think about. Almost makes me want to just start stocking up on 123's.

Thanks so much everyone for all the help, i'll post after I try a few things.