Any good/legit debt consolidation services?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going thru some terrible personal issues and I'm going to need to get my debt under tighter control. If someone could recommend good debt consolidation services, I would appreciate it. Thanks for looking.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you own your home. I hated to do it but in 2003 we took out a home equity loan because we had so many credit card bills. We consolidated everything and closed them all but one visa card for just in case. Was 17,000 total but the interest was low enough that making one big payment instead a bunch of little minimum payments made it work. We paid it off just this year. We went to the bank we had our checking and savings with.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Short answer is no. IMHO they are all out to make money, even the ones that might actually help you. In the old days there were usuary laws to limit debt, but those are now long gone. Legitimate loans like "payday" and/or "tax rebate" loans can actually have interest rates that top 50%! Do a lot of research, never sign anything unless a lawyer looks at it first, and consider what the worst case can be, because with financial insitutions today and the economy being what it is to the average guy, it pays to be wary. The few hours of research needed can possibly save you thousands, and maybe your home.

"Go ahead and try it, you can buy it, and pay me next week. Ahh, too much monkey business!" -- Chuck Berry

Last edited: