New Lumapower M1 . . not much difference between high and low?

mx125

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to these lights. I posted my stunned disbelief at the power and clean light of these new generation lights but had a question . . .

The difference (to my uneducated eyes) of the low and high settings using 2x123batts is surprisingly little. I notice an intensity difference but it seems small. Kind of like bright . .lots of light on low . .and kind of a 20% "super burn" step up on high. Is this normal? If the reality is that the eye can't detect lumen differences well. . . .then great! . . lots of runtime and still pretty bright. But I would have expected in reading the review numbers with less than half the lumens it would look pretty dim on low.

GMoney

Newly Enlightened
I don't own this light, but based on measured results by others (Quickbeam) its about 50 lumens on low and 120 lumens on high. This should be a noticeable difference, but no not mind blowing. If you are shining the light at a wall and looking at the hotspot the difference is most difficult to tell. Shining outdoors, or the ever popular ceiling bounce test makes it easier to perceive the difference in brightness.

To repeat what others have said before though less articulately....
Human eyes perceive light logarithmically. Something 4x as bright will only be seen as 2x as bright. It is the reason why the vast majority of run time tests are performed to 50% of the original brightness.

What this translates to with regard to purchasing a light is that one shouldn't deliberate over a 30 lumen versus 40 lumen light based solely on output. More important factors are beam quality/type, run time, and preferred power source, though now I am treading into the subjective...

mx125

Newly Enlightened
I don't own this light, but based on measured results by others (Quickbeam) its about 50 lumens on low and 120 lumens on high. This should be a noticeable difference, but no not mind blowing. If you are shining the light at a wall and looking at the hotspot the difference is most difficult to tell. Shining outdoors, or the ever popular ceiling bounce test makes it easier to perceive the difference in brightness.

To repeat what others have said before though less articulately....
Human eyes perceive light logarithmically. Something 4x as bright will only be seen as 2x as bright. It is the reason why the vast majority of run time tests are performed to 50% of the original brightness.

What this translates to with regard to purchasing a light is that one shouldn't deliberate over a 30 lumen versus 40 lumen light based solely on output. More important factors are beam quality/type, run time, and preferred power source, though now I am treading into the subjective...

That makes sense. And I think I understand what you mean about the ceiling bounce test. I will try that one tonight. Given what you've said . . I think I HAVE been looking too closely at small relaitive differences in flashlight test info (prior to buying a couple). Real world human sensitivity is more complex. A very helpful reply . . . Thanks Gmoney.

Geode

Enlightened
I bought the M1 a short while ago and notice a sizable difference between high and low. It seems to really stand out when you are someplace dark and have at least 150' to project the beam.

Heck of a flashlight for the money.

Stoked

Newly Enlightened
It depends on whether you use 2xCR123 or 1x18650.
With an (rechargeable) 18650 the difference is much bigger (no worries, the output on high is nearly the same) and - in my opinion - more usefull.

JKL

Enlightened
With an (rechargeable) 18650 the difference is much bigger (no worries, the output on high is nearly the same) and - in my opinion - more usefull.

I bought the M1 and I agrre with Stoked.:rolleyes:

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast

I remember Ricky from Lumapower mentioned this in his thread about the M1.

mx125

Newly Enlightened
I do see the diference when I do the indirect test. And now that I can notice it . . it's even more noticeable . . if that makes sence.

I love the beam on high. I'll see what I think when I get em 18650 next week. As you said . .it's probably clode enough. And although the Fenix P2D is roughly the same (on turbo) as the M1 on high . . . I do like the M1 better. Beam and heft. I know . .small size deserves more respect technically . . but I just like the bigger head and ac control the M1 better. Also . .I don't need all the modes . .high low is perfect for me.

Of course . .now I'll scanning the pages for a bigger light! I guess a HID is the next real step . .but a bit pricey for me right now!

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 Mine is 18650 and easy to tell the difference, besides its hard to beat free lumens! :D

coppertrail

Enlightened
Started using 18650s in my M1 last night, and there is noticable difference between low/high. I was also able to see a sizable difference when using (2) 3.0V RCR123As as well. I also agree that the M1 is a great light for the $.