Flashlight competition. Is there such a thing?

KingGlamis

Banned
I think a flashlight competition would be a blast! There could be many different classes and different types of competition. For example, best throw, best flood, best overall output, and of course best looks, etc.

Is there such a thing? If not, who from CPF is going to step up and organize one?

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice idea but IMO this would be pointless unless it was with modded/homebrew lights. Why? Because everyone could just buy the newest and greatest and everyone would be equal! ;)

dolbyyy

Newly Enlightened
I think a flashlight competition would be a blast! There could be many different classes and different types of competition. For example, best throw, best flood, best overall output, and of course best looks, etc.

Is there such a thing? If not, who from CPF is going to step up and organize one?

I've just wrote a post in the A2 aviator beam thread naming the PERFECT BEAM AWARD!! :wave:

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast

great idea! but only for USA...:mecry:

Robban

Enlightened
I seem to remember that we had some sort of homemade flashlight competition a few years back. There were some pretty wacky builds IIRC. Someone with a better memory than myself can fill in the details.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Everybody at work carries a light of some kind and I have tried numerous times to have a flashlight contest. No one will take me up on it even though I tell them I'll just use a little one. :grin2:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
We should pick the one with the lumpiest beam as the winner. That dude in the National Geographic special was hysterical....just the idea of describing light as having a lumpy beam.

BrotherHorse

Newly Enlightened
A flashlight contest would probably need to have Classes: like battery size and weight and be tested with a Lumens meter.

I really think a LOT of modern warfare could be accomplished with Really Really Really (that's 3 Really's) Bright Lights !
I know self defense has turned the corner now, in power, where I can carry ONE 1300 luman pocket size flashlight and feel safe going for a walk after dark.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Quite a dilemma could possibly arise. Like you said not only would classes be required but clear definitions and empirical measurements as well. All from respected sources. Some industry standard Instrumentation would need to used so as no one competitor could make unrealistic claims and argue their measurements weighted in their favor. Might be quite entertaining actually. I'd love to see a builder/designer tell me their getting X amount of lumens when the data sheet say's otherwise. BS is just that. Way too often seen in this hobby.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's all sexist and biased. Where will you find an honest judge from the representative countries. That being said, will there be a swimsuit section?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
No contest once Malkoff Devices were invented.

Just go ahead and give all the trophies to Gene Malkoff.

Wait... PK Design Labs was invented so... now we can have a contest.