Cleaning a smooth reflector?

GregWormald

Enlightened
Blow it off with compressed air--only, unless you can get different instructions from the manufacturer. Most likely if anything touches it, it will take off the surface which is usually vaporised aluminum on a plastic base.
Greg

Illum

Flashaholic
some lens brush works as well....but not all lens brush work [I know...I've opened holes on a few:mecry:]

I would go with compressed air also

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
There have been lots of threads on this. In short - don't touch the surface.

If compressed air did not do the trick. Try swishing it around in soapy water, then rinse with cool water, the blow it dry, just don't touch the surface..

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
It all depends on the manufacturer of the reflector. My Streamlight and off brands hold up very well with wiping them with a lens cloth. I have had some reflectors where you can't touch them at all...ex. Dealextreme GLIMT the reflector coating will wipe off if you even touch the surface.

Enlightened
Masking tape. Why not? I thought about it for a second.. I used it on my reflector using a fingerprint tape-lift method. I had specks of dust that wouldn't blow off with an automotive grade air compressor and gun. They are now gone. I LIGHTLY pressed the tape on the problem area and SLOWLY peeled the problem away and then blew out any remaining dust. :)

CLHC

Flashaholic
Exactly what the others have already stated above. For me, I did dunk a smoothie in warm soapy water and then rinsed it under running water. After that I dried it straightaway with the compressed air. It work in this particular scenario. . .

Enjoy!

Enlightened
CHC, I've tried that before (with another reflector) and noticed water streaking after air blowing it out. That's why I haven't done it again.

AWGD8

Newly Enlightened
I just use a cotton buds for the ears with few drops of alcohol, then blow dry it by a can of compressed air.

mrmike

Newly Enlightened
If you really wanted to clean it and get it perfectly dust free (before reassembling)... try the Sony PSP screen protector trick.

What is that? Anyone who ever tried to get a screen protector on a PDA/PSP or such device surely noticed it's pretty much impossible to just clean the screen and apply the protector without getting a few specks of dust stuck between the protector and the screen.

The trick is to go into your bathroom; turn on just the hot water in your shower for a couple minutes until your bathroom is all "steamed" up. The water vapor attaches to the dust and forces it to drop instead of floating in the air. Take your device in the bathroom, clean the screen, apply the protector, and viola! No dust. It really works.

I'm sure this would work well on those Terralux LEDs with the sticky silicone if you wanted to clean them.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Steamy shower might work. Never, ever actually touch a reflector with anything. Tape sounds like a disaster waiting to happen to me but YMMV. Cleaners, water (even distilled water), and alcohol will probably leave marks from droplets evaporating. If it were me, I would get a replacement reflector before trying anything, just in case. And, yes there are quite a few threads on this topic if you search for them.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had good luck swishing the reflector around in soapy water, rinse with hot water so it dries faster and/or blow with dry compressed air.

R11GS

Newly Enlightened
I've done quite well cleaning optical stuff with dish detergent and water, then *lots* of tap water rinsing, and then a final rinse with distilled (RO or DI) water. I have not gotten streaks with the distilled water as long as I did a *lot* of rinsing with tap water first.