Help a flashlight noobie with Fenix P2D

csr.sao

Newly Enlightened

Main question:
Also! The Fenix P2D CE light output reading, reads, General Mode: 9 lumens (30hrs) -> 40 lumens (5.5hrs) -> 80 lumens (2hrs) -> SOS
Turbo Mode: 135 lumens (1hrs) -> Strobe. I'm ASSUMING the SOS/STROBE next to the readings mean that at this brightness it will flash S.O.S. or it will strobe, in other words a fenix p2d ce does not have a constant on brightness of 80+ lumens. This will eliminate the 2d for me, I just want a constant on, no flashing at high lumens.

I'm new to the forum; I have always had the flashlight bug, and just didn't know there was a forum for people like me! Love this place. To my problem, I'm looking to pick up an LED flashlight. The Three I'm looking at are the Inova T1, Fenix P2D CE, and now the Fenix P1 CE. I realize they are all a bit different, I would just like some feed back on them, which would you get? Why? What do you like about ___?

Thank you in advance! Sorry for the long questions.

O, I currently own these flashlights if anyone cares: Surefire 9P, Surefire x200B(weapon light), Tikka myo xp, and Brinkmann MaxFire LX.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had about seven Fenix lights in the past, now I have four P2DCE lights in the family. I also purchased spare L2D and L1D bodies. Outcome is a choice of 1x AA or 2x AA or 1x CR123 cells. Great lights for the money. Choice of minimum or maximum (turbo) by twist of the head makes this easy.....as well as other levels you mentioned above

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is how it works:

On primary mode it goes.... Low-Medium-High-SOS. Each tap to the tailcap will advance it to the next mode.
On Turbo mode it goes.... Turbo-Strobe. The first main click to the tailcap turns it right on to the brightest setting (turbo) and it is VERY bright! Testing has shown around 110 lumens. On strobe it strobes the turbo setting brightness.

I don't really understand what you mean about it not having a constant brightness of 80 lumens? The high mode is tested around 65 lumens so it's not quite 80 but close. The runtime numbers you listed were pretty much spot on.

Since this uses a Cree it completely crushes the Inova X1. I personally like it quite a bit more than the normal P1 because the P2D is so much more versatile.

Main question:
Also! The Fenix P2D CE light output reading, reads, General Mode: 9 lumens (30hrs) -> 40 lumens (5.5hrs) -> 80 lumens (2hrs) -> SOS
Turbo Mode: 135 lumens (1hrs) -> Strobe. I'm ASSUMING the SOS/STROBE next to the readings mean that at this brightness it will flash S.O.S. or it will strobe, in other words a fenix p2d ce does not have a constant on brightness of 80+ lumens. This will eliminate the 2d for me, I just want a constant on, no flashing at high lumens.

I'm new to the forum; I have always had the flashlight bug, and just didn't know there was a forum for people like me! Love this place. To my problem, I'm looking to pick up an LED flashlight. The Three I'm looking at are the Inova T1, Fenix P2D CE, and now the Fenix P1 CE. I realize they are all a bit different, I would just like some feed back on them, which would you get? Why? What do you like about ___?

O, I currently own these flashlights if anyone cares: Surefire 9P, Surefire x200B(weapon light), Tikka myo xp, and Brinkmann MaxFire LX.

l1s125

Newly Enlightened

Main question:

If I'm interpreting your post correctly, then I think that you think the modes are as follows:

General Mode: 9 lm constant on -> 40 lm constant on -> SOS beacon at 80 lm
Turbo Mode: Strobe at 135 lm
Total of 4 modes

The above is incorrect. The P2D does in fact have the high lumen constant on. The modes are as follows:

General Mode: 9 lm constant on -> 40 lm constant on -> 80 lm constant on -> SOS beacon
Turbo Mode: 135 lm constant on -> Strobe
Total of 6 modes

gearbox

Newly Enlightened

Main question:

I'm not sure exactly what you are saying or asking, but the P2D will put out 80 lumens under regulation constantly until the battery drains to below regulation. In addition to that it also has a strobe and high-output in the high mode and it has an SOS mode and a low and medium output in "normal" mode. So, yes, it does have a constant output above 80 lumens -- as long as your battery is relatively fresh you can run it at the turbo mode.
It sounds as though you are confused at how the specs read out. Here it is, reformatted:
Regular mode, low: 9 lumens for 30 hours
Regular mode, medium: 40 lumens for 5.5 hours
Regular mode, high: 80 lumens for 2 hours
Regular mode, SOS: blinks in morse code, unknown output
Turbo mode, turbo: up to 135 lumens for up to one hour
Turbo mode, strobe: strobes at full power.
As you can see, 80 -> SOS does NOT mean it blinks at 80 lumens, it means 80 lumens is one mode and SOS is another mode. The same goes for Turbo -> Strobe. That means there are two seperate modes.

You don't state what the usage will be. The P2D is one of the most versatile lights because it is small; bright; has numerous output levels; has longish life; is somewhat durable; has no filament to break; has good color. Beside that you can't expect to use a single-cell 3 inch light to throw out 135 lumens for over an hour. Get a bigger light if you want higher output for longer.

csr.sao

Newly Enlightened
This fourm rocks! thoes were the answers I were looking for, you all guessed right on what I was confused about. I wanted 80lm constant on. Thanks all again, im 90% pos im going to go with the Fenix P2D-CE

albert

Enlightened

Main question:
..., I just want a constant on, no flashing at high lumens.

Currently I'm EDC-ing a P2D. When i set to turbo output in turbo mode, everytime i turn on the light, it will be at turbo output in turbo mode for approximately 1 hour with a fresh CR123A.

If you ever stuck in awkward situation (lost) on a night hike in the middle of nowhere without any spare battery, you will come to appreciate the SOS mode & the 9 lumens in regular mode.

wintermute

Enlightened
This fourm rocks! thoes were the answers I were looking for, you all guessed right on what I was confused about. I wanted 80lm constant on. Thanks all again, im 90% pos im going to go with the Fenix P2D-CE

I have also moved to EDC'ing the P2D. I bought it originally with a L1D body from the Fenix-store (if you haven't noticed, they have a CPF discount of 8% by using the coupon code CPF8)...then bought the L2D body from a member on the board...then got the P2D body from the same dealer I got the L1D from. Now, I have switched exclusively to the P2D, the size is incredible. I actually use a L1D holster with just the lanyard sticking out. I got the Titanium CR123s from Amondotech for $1 each (which SilverFox tested as one of the best CR123 batteries) - and I have to say, the life of these batteries is excellent. Great stuff...the whole package. You won't be sorry, but I do recommend a L1D, L2D body in a pinch when you don't have any more CR123 batteries. The L1D is close to the same size and will still provide the ~80 lumen high - but the Turbo is no where near the P2D. Of course the bonus of the L1D is the ability to use 1xAA...because those CR123 batteries are still ~$7 (or more) in a regular grocery store. It's nuts. Regardless, P2D - :Twothumbs