Metal reflectors for Cree xre leds, good idea, or bad?

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got some 17millimeter metal reflectors made for cree xre's last week and discovered that they lay right accross the metal solderable contacts on top of the cree xre emitters. :eek:
A couple people are selling these metal reflectors.
I spent $45 on just 5 of these reflectors.
What are your thoughts?

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got some 17millimeter metal reflectors made for cree xre's last week and discovered that they lay right accross the metal solderable contacts on top of the cree xre emitters. :eek:
What are your thoughts?

Have any pictures?

You could cut some foam donuts to place around the Cree.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I blew a >$50 Shoppe setup for that exact reason. I much prefer Seouls over Crees (and, I suppose, plastic reflectors over metal ones).

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, makes me wonder where the focal point is supposed to be. If the focal point is designed (poorly) so the reflector does sit on the contacts, you'll need to clearance the reflectors for the contacts.

But if you need to raise the reflector, you should do it with something more than foam so the dimensions remain stable. Maybe find a nylon washer that fits over the LED that can be clearanced for the contacts, and sandwich that between the reflector and board.

I'd light one up and play around with the focus, then go from there.

Last edited:

download

Flashlight Enthusiast
multi10.jpg

Solution for contacts:
put a paper isolate the Cree + & -
Punch a hole & cut like a donut to be a isolator. Easy to make & replace.
The normal A4 80g paper thickness is ~0.1mm. It's still in the best focal point range.
Star will be easier, because the soldering contact in star board, not emitter.
Soldering won't affect the focal point.

Side note: The Aluminum Cree MOP reflector custom cut to fit 5 in Mag Head, it won't move around. They touch each other & act as a heatsink to conduct the heat from the collar of Cree too.

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are your thoughts?
So you made metal reflectors for 9buck ea ?!?!
Not sure if you meant you modded them, but otherwise
that's a GREAT price for metal reflectors !!

OddOne

Enlightened
I got some samples of Kapton MT film from Dupont that makes excellent insulation while also being thermally conductive. If you can locate some that would probably be your best bet.

oO

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys, The plastic ones that photonfanatic is offering for the Seoul p4's do work well for cree XRE's after thier apertures are opened up a bit with an exacto knife, or small scissors.
The metal reflectors offered by download seem to work well for seoul p4's however.
The upcoming tutorial I have in the works should end up helping quite a few people, including the sellers of these parts. :)
Stay tuned...
Life for more than a few people is about to get even better. :rock:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used the 16, 17, 19, 27 mm XR-E reflectors from the Shoppe, as well as their normal 19 mm one (which is the best) for Crees
and they give the best output I have seen so far.
As long as there is no thick solder blob, none of the XR-E reflectors featuring "seats" to center them onto the Cree metal ring touches the contacts.

PS: I would not use reflectors like the ones in the pic!
When looking at them from above, a large part in the middle will not show that yellow glow powder from the emitter and thus all this space is wasted.
Are they really focused with the led extending this far into? Dont they have to be raised (like the 27 mm one from the shoppe)?

(in my experience, with such reflectors one gets these Cree "rings")

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm out of time and headed to bed, but here is a picture of the completed 6D.
SANY0044.jpg

On the left is a 6D WX1T Luxeon5 pulling about 1 amp.
In the middle is a MiniMonsterQuad 2c with 4 so20's and 4 WWOT Luxeon5 leds scarfing down about 3 amps,
And on the right is the just completed 6D with 4 Cree XRE Q4 binned leds and 4 of photonfanatic's khatoid 17mm reflectors (for Seould p4 leds) with thier apertures widened out for the Cree's.
The one on the right is only using about one amp as well. :wtf: :wow:

The future is here.
Brightness of a 60 watt bulb, yet economical on alkaline batteries as a normal 6D storebought flashlight is. :rock:
I'll try to get the 2c 3x cr123 light done this next weekend with the seoul P4's and those metal reflectors.

:popcorn:

Last edited:

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a 1 ohm resistor.
I photographed and did video clips of it's construction.

Now I have the 2c to finish before I do a post of these long running and offensively bright do-it-yourself led monsterquads here and at www.flashlight-forums.com . :)
I'm gunning for tomorrow afternoon.
I will still do a standalone beamshot of the metal reflectors with the seoul leds here in this thread as soon as it's available.
The 2c will also feature an adjustable heatsink from download as well.
I think I found a way to make it work perfectly for this part of the project. ;)

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received some 5101 High Temperature Tape (10mm) x 1 for $3.10 from DX.

kt002smallih9.jpg

kt004smallva0.jpg

kt003smallnz4.jpg

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a 1 ohm resistor.
I photographed and did video clips of it's construction.

Now I have the 2c to finish before I do a post of these long running and offensively bright do-it-yourself led monsterquads here and at www.flashlight-forums.com . :)
I'm gunning for tomorrow afternoon.
I will still do a standalone beamshot of the metal reflectors with the seoul leds here in this thread as soon as it's available.
The 2c will also feature an adjustable heatsink from download as well.
I think I found a way to make it work perfectly for this part of the project. ;)

sweet.
i just can't wait.