Replace fenix L0D with cree one?

PaveQ

Newly Enlightened
Would it make sense to replace my fenix L0D with newer cree edition? Is it considerably brighter? One thing to consider, fenix website states that even low mode is brighter, maybe it's too bright when I only want some light...

Maybe I will be getting one CR123 light to carry, new novatecs and arc new LS seem to be cool, though they might be too expensive to me...

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi PaveQ, welcome to CPF.:)

My wife uses a Fenix L0D and I carry a L0D CE. It all depends from what you want to use your light for. My wife keeps hers on the nightstand using it to raid the fridge during the night. She says that my CE is too bright for that. At 3 a.m. you are not willing to shift through levels and the first one will have to do.
I use other lights at home and keep L0D CE always in my pocket as EDC. In this case the stronger the better.

For a compact and affordable 1x123 have a look at the new Lumapower LM303:

http://www.qualityflashlights.at/termekekmain.php?csoportid=44

Last edited:

PaveQ

Newly Enlightened
Btw, is this SSC led better than CREE? Last time I visited here, CREE was the best of all.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Btw, is this SSC led better than CREE? Last time I visited here, CREE was the best of all.

It's really difficult to answer. From a pure beam aspect standpoint I would say that SSC appears to be slightly more floody but of course the reflector plays a major role here. What I can say is that these SSC's seem to give out a whiter light.

BTW I have 10 lights with a CREE and just 2 with the SSC so my statistic is not very well balanced.:shrug:

IMSabbel

Enlightened
About the initial question:
I replaced my l0d with a cree. Its much brighter, much better runtime (esp low mode), and with 10440 on high its bright enough to shine through my palm...