Lights that strobe.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
One thing I don't have is a tactical light that strobes with one press of the thumb. I don't mean for signaling purposes. I mean to temporarily disorient an attacker.

I know about the Night-ops Gladius. And I've heard that feature is on the Fenix P3D. I've also heard that one of the Wolf's Eyes models has that feature. (Not sure which one though).

I'd appreciate it if you guys could tell me about other lights with a tactical strobe feature. Thanks, in advance. :)

KnOeFz

Enlightened
I'm not sure what defines tactical, but the
Jetbeam CLE, Jetbeam MKII, Rexlight, Dexlight, some of the cree D26 drop-ins on DealExtreme.com and Kaidomain.com, most of the multi modes cree lights on those websites have a strobe function.

I have a Rexlight with strobe myself, don't think I'll ever use it for anything usefull, but it's fun to have. In a 'tactical situation' I think I'd run before I get my light out. :crackup:The slow strobe/beacon seems more usefull to me.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have a Rexlight with strobe myself, don't think I'll ever use it for anything usefull, but it's fun to have. In a 'tactical situation' I think I'd run before I get my light out. :crackup:

There are times when running away isn't always an option.

Brozneo

Enlightened
Yep the Fenix have strobe... But you need the light to be in the right mode first - plus you would need to turn the light on, then press the button again to get strobe.... Not too good in a situation where you need strobe instantly! Is there ANY flashlight at all, which immediately goes to strobe, or can be set up that way??

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yep the Fenix have strobe... But you need the light to be in the right mode first - plus you would need to turn the light on, then press the button again to get strobe.... Not too good in a situation where you need strobe instantly! Is there ANY flashlight at all, which immediately goes to strobe, or can be set up that way??

Well, ironically, I know of one light that can be set up that way without first turning the light one.... The Night-ops Gladius.

But is that true for every Fenix light? It has to be turned on first before you can get it to strobe? Even the P3D?

Still hoping someone can tell me which Wolf's Eye model has the strobe feature, and if it works without first having to turn the light on.

Last edited:

Jefff

Enlightened
I think it would be neat to have a tactical teeth looking light built like a tank that has the rear clicky for high med low options.. and a side button like a mag light that is solely for strobe effect. That would be ideal to me

Someone build it and I will buy it..

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any light which uses member "Goldserve's" Flupic board provides this feature.
At UI-5 it's the first mode, at the other Interfaces it is possible to switch off the light by fast clicks/twists before the strobe-mode will start.
This way, at the next restart, the light will start at strobe-mode.

userinterfacev2222un-1.png

Best regards

____
Tom

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Fenix P3D interface wouldn't be too bad. You can leave it in mode2: Turbo (160 lumens) at turn on, and 1 press of tailswitch to Strobe. You'd probably want to shine the turbo in their eyes first to blind them as much as possible and then turn on the strobe. I don't know if the P3D is a true tactical strobe though (fast).

I think strobe would only work well if you had multiple personnel on the job. I can't imagine just standing there trying to aim a strobing light at someone's face. You'd probably need a doctor to change the batteries after that ;)

Last edited:

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wiseled tactical has instant strobe just press button once and hold.then one swing of your arm,turns it into an instant club.what more could you want,but i admit its not your usual EDC,but we are talking night time walks and thats what i use it for.:thumbsup:

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Fenix P3D interface wouldn't be too bad. You can leave it in mode2: Turbo (160 lumens) at turn on, and 1 press of tailswitch to Strobe. You'd probably want to shine the turbo in their eyes first to blind them as much as possible and then turn on the strobe. I don't know if the P3D is a true tactical strobe though (fast).

Same goes for L2D CE. You can leave the light permanently in turbo mode, with a soft-press on the tail at anytime to active the strobe.

Wassernaut

Newly Enlightened
It's now a habit, just before I lay my P3D on the nightstand, next to my weapon, I turn the head to turbo mode. Every night! If I need to grab it, it's already in the right mode . . . . click it on . . . then a half click. If you practice the proper grip (weapon and light) you don't need any additional personnel (she's behind the bed dialing 911, holding her own weapon). I'm sure there are better "purpose made" high dollar police tactical lights, but the little P3D is pretty devastating on an intruder in complete night vision state in a dark house. At least until I get a better one. - Larry

RadarGreg

Enlightened
If you already have a Surefire 6P, you can purchase a G&P strobe tail switch. It acts a a regular switch if you press it once, and if you hold down the button, it works as a strobe switch. I found it on Ebay for about 20 bucks. You might want to use a LED module as well since the incandescent bulbs aren't as crisp when strobing as an LED.

perado

Newly Enlightened
The new NovaTac T and P models have a strobe function. I'm not certain, but you may be able to program the P to start at strobe. The T makes it accessible from any "on" setting. It starts on max and by holding the button from there, you strobe.
The strobe is much faster than my Fenix P1-D, but it doesn't seem to maintain max brightness in strobe. That may just be the speed at which it cycles. As a disorientation device, it's a much more effective frequency.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
you can always look for those lights with memory function for the multimode. ie jetbeam, dexlight

my dx xv will remember the last mode including strobe but twisting to turn on might not be the fastest and some ppl cannot without 2 hands.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Great suggestions! Keep 'em coming! :twothumbs
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To: NA8 -

Must admit, that's a good tactic you came up with for the P3D. :)

Nathan

Enlightened
Just another note on the FluPIC... As seen in Long John's chart, the strobe rate is adjustable from 2 hz up to 18 hz. My FluPIC-modded M1 set to 12 hz makes me dizzy after a few seconds from just the bounce off the walls/ceiling. Faster than that and it looks like the light is on and just flickering.