Surefire Runtime

Gerhard

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I am wondering why the L2 and the L4 and L5, at the same output (100 lumens) have so different runtimes. The times vary by a factor of 3.

Is this due to the heat build up? Inefficiency of some kind? It doesn't make sense.

Can you please help me understand this phenomena?
Thanks
Gerhard

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF

I think the first thing that is needed when comparing runtimes is to have them all plotted on a runtime/output chart so the actual outputs over time can be compared directly.

I've always assumed that the different runtimes were due to different electronics being used. The KL4 and KL5 are significantly different in terms of bezel volume and mass. The L2's electronics is inside the body.

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
Also, keep in mind the KL4/KL5 and L2 all have slightly different regulator boards. The KL5/L5 probably has a longer run time due to the way that the bezel (head) acts like a gigantic heat sink while the surface area for heat sinking on an L4 is significantly smaller.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you post a link to where you are getting the runtime info.

I'm just guessing here but its probably a "Marketing Speech" translation error.

Surefire used to list regulated runtime for their lights but now they have started to list total runtime instead on some of their lights.

Also are any of these lights still using the LuxV?

Last edited: