Protecting Your Arc & Other Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe400

Newly Enlightened
Frozen in Liquid Carbonite somewhere in Illinois
Shrink Tubing, probably one of mans finest inventions. Easy to use and can be found at your local hardware or electronics store. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The first time I used shrink tubing on a flashlight was on my Arc AAA LE. I've had this LE since they first came out and have been caring it on my key chain. I took off the shrink tubing last weeks and the LE was without a scratch or ding. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

fc96123f.jpg

I also used the shrink tubing to make a grip on my Mini-LGI, it help keep it from slipping when my hands get sweaty, plus I think it just looks nice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

fc96123e.jpg

Please post any other ideas or inventions on how to protect/carry your flashlights, lenses and batteries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not bad. I have been meaning to stitch together tan leather sheaths for my AAAs but alas I have been too lazy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif.

Cheers

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
whoa, be carefull when putting shrink-wrap on lights that use the metal bodies as hetasinks. (arc ls, mini-lgi). the rubber acts as an insulator, and if used too long, your light will die.

sure looks like it works nicely though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Joe400

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
whoa, be carefull when putting shrink-wrap on lights that use the metal bodies as hetasinks. (arc ls, mini-lgi). the rubber acts as an insulator, and if used too long, your light will die.

sure looks like it works nicely though

[/ QUOTE ]

Rothrandir,

Thanks for the information. Although I don't use any of my lights for more than a few seconds at a time, I did not realize the impact that the shrink tubing could have in a long term situation. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

The shrink tubing has worked out very well for me, especially on my Arc LE. It has kept it looking new in spite of all the keys that are constantly banging and scraping against it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Joe400

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Can I find this at Home Depot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, Home Depot, Menards, Ace, Radio Shack or any other hardware or electronics store carries the shrink tubing. It comes in different diameters, lengths and colors. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LLLean

Enlightened
I agree with nas_car on this. What's the use of protecting the barrel of the flashlight? So that it doesn't get scratched? If it's going to be covered with some ugly synthetic material, then what's the point of keeping the HA scratch-free. No one, including yourself, is going to see the beautiful HA if it's covered. Unless you plan to sell it and worry about the scratches.

Bare it all and enjoy the beauty of the original skin (HA that is).

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want a sleeve for my Arc AAA to protect my pockets and other items not my Arc. Anyway there is nothing wrong with trying to keep a tool in pristine condition (unless of course one makes it downright ugly or compromises its usefulness /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif). The Arcs do look quite snazzy without any adronments.

Cheers.

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I have an Arc grey, using the heatshrink will cover up the body of yellow and grey splotches. And I can grip it well...

Joe400

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with nas_car on this. What's the use of protecting the barrel of the flashlight? So that it doesn't get scratched? If it's going to be covered with some ugly synthetic material, then what's the point of keeping the HA scratch-free. No one, including yourself, is going to see the beautiful HA if it's covered. Unless you plan to sell it and worry about the scratches.

Bare it all and enjoy the beauty of the original skin (HA that is).

[/ QUOTE ]

In part I agree. The HA finish is beautiful and shouldn't be covered but on the same token I dont want my flashlight to get ruined in under a week.

Keys are especially brutal on flashlights. My keys have ruined two previous non-Arc flashlights, so naturally when I got my first Arc LE I didn't want the same thing to happen. The Arc LE has been with me for about a year maybe more and still looks and works like new thanks to the shrink tubing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Now, I dont go and cover all my flashlights with this stuff that would be crazy, but my Mini-LGI needed a rubber type non-slip grip so the shrink tubing worked perfectly.

Many of you will have your different opinions and thats fine. Its worked for me and I like the stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Peter Atwood

Enlightened
That's a great idea for the mini LGI! I like it. I wouldn't cover my Arc AAA though, I kind of like the battle scars. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I think this sort of thing is on a case by case basis.

Another idea would be to apply some super textured neoprene, available in sheets from MSC. It's nice stuff. If you try this, get the non adhesive kind though and apply your own adhesive. I would recommend epoxy.

gyverpete

Enlightened
Re: Protecting Your Arc & Other Lights

Logicnerd411,

I couldn't find it at those places either. "Ace is the place". The Ace I went to had two 1" X 4" lengths for $2.49 (for the LS) and three 10-2AWG (9/16")X4" lengths for $2.49 (for the AAA). They're matte black and pretty grippy. They're in the electrical aisle. I shrunk mine slowly with a hair dryer until they were just snug so I can take them off if I want to show them "au naturale" to someone and be able to put them back on for use. With them on I don't have to worry if I drop them. Already got a nick in the bezel of my LS from before I got the shrink tubing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Protecting Your Arc & Other Lights

Can't get that link to work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.