Inova X03 TIROS, how do I determine which model I have

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
Yesterday, I stopped off at my local Target to pick up what looked like the last of their NOS (new old stock) Inova X03 lights, since Inova decided to ditch the TIROS optic for a reflector, it's sorta made the old TIROS lights a bit more unique/collectable

from what I can gather, there were two TIROS models of X03, one with a LuxIII, one with a K2, this light came in the newer packaging, proudly proclaiming it as a "3.9 watt LED" light, so I'm assuming it's the K2 version, or is it only the new reflector models that are using the K2?

how can you tell from packaging which model it is?

that said, I knew the X03 wasn't the brightest light out there, especially when I compared it against my reflectorized/Seouled E1L-SR, but it still did well, it was able to throw a visible spot on the ceiling of the Target store, even with all the ambient light and while still inside the packaging

when I got into the car, I quickly opened the packaging and shined it onto the roofliner of my car, I had forgotten how *ringy* the TIROS was and how much I disliked TIROS beams, I contemplated taking it back, but in the back of my head, a little voice kept saying "wait until dark, don't give up on it yet"

I have to admit, the X03 is a *solid* light, with the classic Inova "Built like a tank" feel to it and some nice heft, it's pocketable, marginally, but would be better off as a jacket pocket light or a nightstand light, perhaps toss it in my tacklebox for those evening fishing trips....

Once night had fallen, I took it out and lit up some treetops and generally played around with it, that tightly focused TIROS collomating lens can really *throw*, the X03 is arguably my best throwing LED light, and used outside, the tight, throwy beam doesn't feel so tight

I took it back inside the house, and as expected, the beam profile left a lot to be desired up close, as the ringiness and tight focus really made the beam less enjoyable to use indoors, if I needed throw inside the house (like for in my hallway beamshots) however, the beam of the X03 was quite usable and the ringiness was acceptable

I had prejudged the TIROS optic badly, my first good light, the light that started my obsession with bright shiny objects, was an Inova X0, an original Lux1 TIROS light, and thanks to the tight, throwy, ringy beam of the TIROS optic, I decided I hated optic lights because they had "bad beams"

the thing was, I wasn't using the X0 for it's intended purpose, I was using a throwy light like a flooder, and expecting it to be useful for short distances indoors, I traded it for an X5 and was much happier, as I wanted a floody beam for inside use, I made the standard newbie error of trying to force a light designed for one purpose to fit another, and I erroneously pre-judged the entire TIROS line as having "bad beams", and ignored them until they were no longer available

Now, at least, I realize I was wrong about the TIROS, I'm glad I own one now, it's a unique light

Now, if only they weren't so bloody hard to mod, I'd love to drop in a Seoul P4 to widen up the hotspot a bit

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you can enjoy the light for what it is an not insist, "this light would be better with a Seoul and a reflector." There are times when you really need good throw, and an optic is optimal for that. I once had the original t1, and thought it was a great light.

MacTech

Enlightened
Yeah, the X03 is just fine as it is, even though I did state that i'd like to drop a P4 in it to widen the hotspot, that was just my propensity for modding speaking, the X03 is just fine as it is, no *need* to upgrade it, but it would be cool if I *could*, I just don't have to

Now that I have some flashlight experience under my belt, I understand the value of having the right tool for the job, no the X03 isn't meant to be a short-range flooder, but neither is the X5 meant to be a long range thrower either....

right tool for the job and all....

I'm really starting to like the Inova X series, they're right up with SureFire on the fit-and-finish and durability side, and they're a heck of a lot more affordable

I think the only mod I'm going to perform on my Inovas, is to give Inova a ring and see if I can purchase some of the T-series tailcaps, one for my black ano X5, and one for the X03......

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
3.9 watt LED" light and presence of TIROS tells me that you have an late production 2006 model. The 3.9w nonclemature was also used on the first batch of 2007/reflectored/K2 XO3's and subsequent batches are marked 5.8W so the presence of the TIROS seals the deal.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't believe that any of the TIROS lights had K2's. No one but an Inova engineer could confirm that and I sincerely doubt they would...not that they're even reachable. The change to wattage from current occured in mid-late 2006 as, I assume, a response to the proliferation of the wattage terms as as way to (innacurately) describe output which had caught on (unfortunately) with consumers.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
TIROS optics are pretty specialized. It's unlikely Inova would have spent the time and effort to redesign the TIROS to use a K2 if dropping TIRs was on the agenda. Ergo, the TIROS version of the X03 probably never used a K2.

CyByte

Newly Enlightened
I have an Inova T1 which I use as my EDC light. It's always in my front left pocket. Works fantastic as a 1 battery light that will work as a tactical light :)

MacTech

Enlightened
Hmm, this is dissapointing, either I have an underachieving X03, or an overachieving SF L1 Lumamax (Gen 2).....

I was out playing with the lights last night, shining them on the hay barn i use for my outside beamshots...

guessB.jpg

(L1 Lumamax outside on high)

and discovered that my one cell, 22 lumen Lux based SureFire L1 Lumamax was just as throwy as the X03, in fact, the L1 was a hair brighter, due to it's tighter hotspot and putting all the lumens into the hotspot

the 40ish lumen X03 had a larger hotspot, and the rings in the spillbeam actually did a decent job of lighting up the surroundings, but the fact remains, the X03 performance is being equaled by a light half the length, and running on half the power, quite dissapointing

So now, do I return it, as I'm not happy with it's performance, or hold onto it because it's "collectible", I don't *need* it, as I already have too many flashlights that I don't EDC as it is.....

Hmm, decisions, decisions

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
and discovered that my one cell, 22 lumen Lux based SureFire L1 Lumamax was just as throwy as the X03, in fact, the L1 was a hair brighter, due to it's tighter hotspot and putting all the lumens into the hotspot

the 40ish lumen X03 had a larger hotspot, and the rings in the spillbeam actually did a decent job of lighting up the surroundings, but the fact remains, the X03 performance is being equaled by a light half the length, and running on half the power, quite dissapointing

I only saw one photo in your posting -- that of your Surefire L1.

Lumens is a measure of total light output, not throw. As you learned, your XO3 is "spending" some of its lumens to produce a spillbeam and larger hotspot. Therefore, the 40 vs 22 lumen comparison is consistent with the results you observed.

The additional spillbeam could be useful when walking in open areas in the dark, searching a parking lot for a dropped item, etc.

MacTech

Enlightened
Yes, I realize the differences in the design of the optics, the X03 has a wider, more usable hotspot, however it's not as pocketable....

I'll probably end up keeping it anyway, as I know I'd regret selling/returning it, the TIROS lens just looks cool, and it's definitely a solid flashlight

just seems criminally ineficcient, if a one cell SureFire L1 can equal it in brightness on half the voltage, all that extra voltage in the two cell X03 has got to be consumed *somewhere*, it sure ain't makin' photons.....

still, I'm not maligning the X03, it is a nice light, just not what I expected....

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
just seems criminally ineficcient, if a one cell SureFire L1 can equal it in brightness on half the voltage, all that extra voltage in the two cell X03 has got to be consumed *somewhere*, it sure ain't makin' photons.....

You missed my point. The XO3 is producing photons but they are distributed differently than your L1 -- namely, in the spill and wider hotspot.

I hear you about the XO3 being difficult to carry due to its size and weight.

Last edited: