SureFire Gets Investment

metalhed

Enlightened
I posted this story this morning, and didn't see any mention of it here...

SureFire Receives Growth Capital from Institutional Investors

The press release doesn't say what the dollar amount of the investment was, but I would suspect it was sizable, since three different investment houses participated. I wonder what new developments we'll see from SureFire over the next year or so as the dollars translate into new products/markets.

Anybody have any info on where this money might be going?

lightr07

Newly Enlightened
I posted this story this morning, and didn't see any mention of it here...

SureFire Receives Growth Capital from Institutional Investors

The press release doesn't say what the dollar amount of the investment was, but I would suspect it was sizable, since three different investment houses participated. I wonder what new developments we'll see from SureFire over the next year or so as the dollars translate into new products/markets.

Anybody have any info on where this money might be going?

Yeah..... Uh. I'm not sure if thats good news or bad. Is that *GOOD* news in that they have money or *BAD* news in that they needed that money. I guess its ok as long as Day-To-Day operations don't change and doesnt SF turns into Mag (i.e won't innovate, CS is minimum, where there is CS its offshore, made in USA with cheapest material they can etc) Interested in what others thing.

lightr07

Newly Enlightened
Re: SureFire Gets Investments

I guess that could be it as well. Still not sure though.

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Investment in the military takes a long time to pay back as there is such a long lead time from idea - R&D - production, testing and user acceptance. The capital may be to fund future projects - that judging on SFs reputation would have a low risk of not being paid back.

You would need to know the terms of the financing to read anyting into this - cheap finance = low risk almost certain payback, cripling interest for a high risk and specultive return.

I expect that SF is just doing what every company does on a routine basis.

kromeke

Enlightened
Maybe it is production facility expansion? That should pay back quicker, if they produce more existing models in much larger numbers. Maglites used to cost a lot more, love them or hate them, the price of the product has fallen over the years with little change in quality. If SF could produce more of them cheaper, it is more profit for them, because they could likely still keep the prices as high as they are now.

shakeylegs

Enlightened
The article states that Surefire intends to accelerate its growth. That requires a lot of money - for a company like Surefire that probably means selling an interest in their business to investors for a cash infusion.
Institutional investors are less speculative than venture capitalists. They expect a fair return from their investment and so a deal like this should look fairly solid to them.
I would assume (dangerously) that Surefire wants to expand their market and not just increase production to meet pending orders. If that were the case, a bank would probably have lent them money. Will Surefire go after regular flashlight users, try to grow their government sales, expand into barbques? We should see in a year or so.

vic2367

Enlightened
when a company is invested like that usually in the near future the stock holders want to see a nice return on there money,,,= production overseas maybe,,,just a thought