Any other SL-20X fans out there?

County

Newly Enlightened
I have to admit, I love the Streamlight SL-20X. Yes, there are many other brighter lights to choose from, including of course the hot-wires. But, I liken the SL-20X to the trusty hammer in my toolbox. It's tough, simple, & always does the job. Of the many beautiful things about this light, I appreciate the pre-focused hot-spot (I think it's a gorgeous beam). I like the fact that it's always ready-to-go, just yank it out of the charger. No fumbling to get it out of the charger, no worrying about charge state, no battery removal to charge, bulb insta-flash worries, sensitive charging, etc.

I think it's quite versatile too. With the added brightness of the SL-35X bulb/reflector assembly in the 20X body, combined with the adjustable output tailcap, this is many lights in one.

Also, I think there is prestige associated with the Streamlights that have had such use that the black anodizing has started to wear! Ever seen a street cop with an old one of these on his belt that's practically all grey? If only the light could talk! I picked up an old worn pre-86 SL-20 from a guy at a flea market over the weekend, and am in the process of getting it working (needs a new switch, o-rings, & plug assembly). I look forward to placing this ole salty dog back into service!

Please tell me I'm not alone!

matthewdanger

Enlightened
You are not alone! I have the same setup you mentioned (SL-35 bulb with Dimmer Switch). It is a great light. It is in my truck full time.

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry a slightly modified (SL-11) SL-20X in my patrol bag. Mine has a cut down MOP Carley 1940 reflector, Potted WA 1111 bulbs and a 7.2 volt custom battery pack and the dimmer tail cap. Mine puts out about 570 lumen's. Works well for directing traffic with the orange traffic cone and flashing feature of the light.

Last edited:

fivebyfive

Enlightened
I carry the sl-20x as my main light at work. It has lots of dings and dents. The tailcap edges have been rounded by repeated drops or poundings. The bezel has some chipped notches in them as well. It's true that all of these things add character to the light. I'm not letting go of my sl-20x anytime soon.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out my sigline. Click on the SL60 link! I talk about the pros of the SL-20X and why I like it. I'm the guy who made the ring-potted lamps and MOP 1940 cut-down reflectors for the SL-20X. Normally you just drop in a WA1160 for about 450+ lumens, but there are more exotic possibilities, as depusm12 shows.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a fan.

My brother-in-law used my ROP the last time he and my sister visited me and asked what kind of 'nice and bright' light he could get back home.
Back home for him is Barbados. I told him to buy one of these. Shipping to Barbados entails a few pitfalls but he got his light from a US source and loves it. My sister claims I've turned him into a flashaholic but he owns less than twelve flashlight/headlights.

leprechaun414

Enlightened
I have two of these. One with the foam on the handle that makes it so much better to use in cold weather. I think these are great tough as nails lights. You are not alone. :buddies:

tomcat017

Enlightened
The SL-20X is one of my favorites--I like the size, shape, and overall feel--and I think the SL-20X and 35X lamps have a great beam too. I run mine with a 4000mAh pack, UCL, and either the SL-35X lamp or the SL-60 mod that JS mentioned. The SL-60 is just plain awesome :naughty:. But it's a great light anyway you cut it.

Last edited:

County

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the great responses, so glad to know I'm not the only one! You know, I forgot to mention that the light is simply good-looking! When I think of the light that has lit the most scenes, & responded to the most calls, it has to be the SL-20X!

Now if I can just figure out how to get the parts to upgrade to an SL60!

County

Newly Enlightened
By the way, was wondering if any of you noticed that over the years, the switch contacts will degrade, causing the light to dim a little. Replacing the switch assembly solves the problem. I was wondering if any of you have experimented with disassembling the switch to clean and/or pro-gold the contacts, and if this helped the degradation over time problem. Granted the switch itself is fairly inexpensive, but I'd like to get more mileage out of them, or make them better, if I could!

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the way, was wondering if any of you noticed that over the years, the switch contacts will degrade, causing the light to dim a little. Replacing the switch assembly solves the problem. I was wondering if any of you have experimented with disassembling the switch to clean and/or pro-gold the contacts, and if this helped the degradation over time problem. Granted the switch itself is fairly inexpensive, but I'd like to get more mileage out of them, or make them better, if I could!

County, It looks like you've read all the boards with regards to this light and the use of ProGold.

ProGold and it's companion DeOx-It do the job really well.
Problem solved.
Period.

If you use ProGold on the stock switch then you should have no problems with it for more than 10 years. Maybe 20 or more.

NelsonFlashlites

Enlightened
Sorry for the hijack, but would the SL60 mod work with the SL-X LED?? or would the heat mess up the leds??

Thanks!

Policetacteam

Enlightened
I have used my Sl-20X for almost 9 years and it literally saved my life when I had a male subject, whacked out of his mind on crank, try to kill me. So I have a fond effection for this light even though it no longer works. If JS is still doing the mods I may try sending it to him to see if he can bring it back!

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the great responses, so glad to know I'm not the only one! You know, I forgot to mention that the light is simply good-looking! When I think of the light that has lit the most scenes, & responded to the most calls, it has to be the SL-20X!

Now if I can just figure out how to get the parts to upgrade to an SL60!

Contact js who posted above about the Carley 1940 reflector and the potted 1160 bulbs IIRC you can use the standard battery pack in it. I think you would probably want a Medium Orange peel reflector ( it helps smooth out the beam and takes out most of the rings).

Policetacteam

Enlightened
Sl-20X is in route back to Streamlight for a rebuild. After that its getting an overhaul by js to be re-born as a SL-60!!! Can't wait!

im5150too

Newly Enlightened
I still have my first year production SL-20, though it's retired and just sitting on a shelf now......

These days I have a SL-20X-LED that I'm starting to like more and more.

Wetterman

Newly Enlightened
I also have the led model and it's really nice to have the leds as backup. I also have an SL-20X and the SL-20. The SL-20 I got second hand. BTW im5150too can you reveal your SL-20s serial and the year you got it? I'm trying to figure out when mine was made.

Last edited: