Cleaning your A2 reflector and window (AT YOUR OWN RISK!)

afterglow

Newly Enlightened
Ok, firstly, I've got a surefire A2 aviator last week. I totally love the flashlight, I find that the regulated incandescent light is THE BEST feature of this light.

But; 2 days after I got it, while cleaning the lens, I've noticed a kind of smoking or greasy patch inside of it, about 1/4 by 1/8 inch. I was like: damn over 200$ for a flashlight and there is this poop inside. I've sent an email to surefire concerning this friday evening and even if I didn't notice any effect on the beam, but being very impatient, I've decided to clean it myself with a long wooden Q-tip and 99% isopropyl alcohol. This cleaned about 90% of the foggy area and left some dust in the bezel. I was not really satisfied by the result.

Well, I've read in a message made by flash_gordon that surefire support gave an advice of flushing the bezel with alcohol. Well I did the thing. This was the only way I found to correctly clean the inside the bezel without any danger of touching the fragile reflector. Since there is no real guide on this site on the subject, I tought that it would be good to have one.

***THIS WILL TAKE A LOT OF PATIENCE (AT LEAST 1 HOUR, PROBABLY MORE), AND OF LOT OF TRIES TO GET IT CLEANED RIGHT!***

***THIS WORKED FOR ME, BUT BEFORE YOU TRY, WAIT FOR ADVICES OF MORE EXPERIENCED USERS HERE***

***USE 99% ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL (ISOPROPANOL)***

- Take a bowl, put dish soap into it (put in a lot), and get fresh water into it.

- Unscrew bezel, take out the LED ring and wash, shake, flush, shake shake shake the bezel into the soapy water. Do it a lot, since it will take out all the lubrification that is still on the lower portion of the bezel and the contaminants in the bezel. Clean all the lube, the lube could contaminate the alcohol when you put it in, and would result is a badly striated lens. Don't forget that silicon is nearly invisible.

- Rinse the bezel with fresh water. Rinse it for LONG and flush it often. Try not touching the inside of the bezel, you could contaminate walls with finger grease, which would transfer into the alcohol, thus creating a badly striated lens.

- Being impatient, I did not let the bezel dry. I directly filled the bezel with alcohol, flushing it at least 3 times, so most of the water is out.

- ***Careful: do not touch the reflector with the dropper*** Take a dropper, take some alcohol in it, and throw it inside the bezel by a LED hole. I suggest that you hold the bezel horizontaly, throwing the alcohol by the side. This will cause most of the alcohol to get out of the lens as fast as possible, so less contaminated alcohol drying on there possible. Immediatly after doing that hold the bezel down, and do a circular ''up-down'' motion with your harm, using the centrifugal forces to get the more alcohol possible off the lens, as fast as possible.

- I've used a fan to dry out the alcohol, holding the bezel down.

- When dry, inspect the lens under a light. Look for traces of dried out contaminated alcohol on the lens. THIS WILL TAKE A FEW (LOT) TRIES BEFORE GETTING IT RIGHT.

- When the lens looks perfect, let it dry for a few minutes, to be sure all the alcohol is dried out.

- Clean the LEDS and lamp with alcohol.

- Put the bezel back on, don't forget to lubricate, and enjoy your perfectly clean lens.

Again, if there is any kind of contaminant when you put your alcohol inside the bezel, you will see it when it will dry out! And it WILL take a lot of tries, but it's really worth the shot.

Waiting for your inputs!

Last edited:

afterglow

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I've received a reply stating that I should send them the flashlight for repair. I just told them to cancel the request and that I cleaned the thing myself by flushing it with alcohol...
Reply was quick enough... support seems nice, but shipping back and forth is something I definatly don't want to do, since it can take pretty long.

dolbyyy

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I've received a reply stating that I should send them the flashlight for repair. I just told them to cancel the request and that I cleaned the thing myself by flushing it with alcohol...
Reply was quick enough... support seems nice, but shipping back and forth is something I definatly don't want to do, since it can take pretty long.
Oh yes, I agree with you. When it's possible to resolve the problem avoiding to send it to Surefire is always better, expecially for international customers. Very good that you have resolved by yourself sharing your experience plus important tips with all us.
Thank you and enjoy your A2! :thumbsup:

Dinan

Newly Enlightened
I just noticed in my "new" E1E some fog right above the bulb on the inside of the glass. I was thinking about sticking a q-tip in there with some alcohol on it but then I remembered this thread... wasn't sure I wanted to take the risk of getting lots of dust in there.

I'm not sure how it really affects the light... I guess it would affect the light transmission a tiny bit but I don't know why it's there in the first place. :sigh:

afterglow

Newly Enlightened
the Q-tip way will get the job done.... but not in a perfect way. With 99% alcohol, it gives a flawless job (as far as I can see). Though, even with the Q-tip way, you'll take risks of damaging the reflector. And you will get some dust in there doing so.

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
A word to the wise? Does the repeated washings with isopropanol damage the reflector in any way? also realize, at that concentration it can potentially damage the AR coating on the lens. I would recommend 91% concentration. Also just to throw this out there DO NOT USE WINDOW OR GLASS CLEANERS they will definetaly take the AR coating off.

afterglow

Newly Enlightened
Well, my washing was a 1 shot deal. It was to take off a smoking area that was in the lens and some dirt left by a Q-tip. Sure, I would not wash the lens with alcohol every day of the year, since AR coating is ... a coating... it could get thinner and thinner. But 99% or 91% concentration won't make any difference that's one thing I'm sure; if alcohol would be incompatible with AR coating, it would damage it even at 70%, and I've not read anywhere that alcohol would damage AR coating unlike amonia or acetone.

When I washed my lens, the smallest contaminant would appear as if your AR coated glasses would be dirty (fuzzy refracting colors where the contaminants are), so I guess that the AR coating is still there and that alcohol doesn't damage it.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Dinan

Newly Enlightened
I just noticed this 3mm or so thin piece of thread/hair near the bulb of my gf's E2E and I'm not sure if it's worth trying to remove it. Unlike my E2D, I can actually get the lamp assembly out of the E2E so I can try and get at it... wonder if a vacuum cleaner would help lol

afterglow

Newly Enlightened
I just noticed this 3mm or so thin piece of thread/hair near the bulb of my gf's E2E and I'm not sure if it's worth trying to remove it. Unlike my E2D, I can actually get the lamp assembly out of the E2E so I can try and get at it... wonder if a vacuum cleaner would help lol

canned air maybe? carefull though with that

Dinan

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I didn't use canned air... I stuck in a bent toothpick and just grabbed the little hair out. The only problem now is every time I drop the LA back in I get a tiny spec of dust on the inside window... oh well. That's the problem with incandescents :sigh:

I'm just gonna leave it alone for now

EDIT: I managed to make the tiniest mark on the edge of the reflector... that stuff is soft! Definitely never gonna fiddle with it again.

Last edited:

afterglow

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I didn't use canned air... I stuck in a bent toothpick and just grabbed the little hair out. The only problem now is every time I drop the LA back in I get a tiny spec of dust on the inside window... oh well. That's the problem with incandescents :sigh:

I'm just gonna leave it alone for now

EDIT: I managed to make the tiniest mark on the edge of the reflector... that stuff is soft! Definitely never gonna fiddle with it again.

well, dust only is not really a problem if you don't have THAT much. a bit of dust will reduce output by what? ... 0.1%?. That is just meaningless.

Also, I would stay really far off the reflector with any solid objects. That's why I've flushed with alcohol, I knew that I could not take out all the mess only with a q-tip without touching the reflector.

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
I stand corrected then, although do listen to the rest of the post minus the part about using high concentration rubbing alchahols.