Stinger vs SF6P

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
Hello everyone.

I though I posed this already but I didn't see it but I wanted to know how the Stinger rates against the SF6P or maybe its the other way around.

Thanks

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
Do you mean the Streamlight Stinger rechargeable? Or the Streamlight Scorpion. I believe the Scorpion is a more likely comparison to the SureFire 6P.

If it is the Scorpion that you're talking about, then I would say as a side-by-side comparison, my opinion is as follows (although they both share a lot of features, i.e. size, weight, comparable light output, etc):

Streamlight Scorpion

* metal bezel, rubberized grip surface texture for the body.

* able to alternate between flood and spot by a turn of the bezel.

* comes with clickable on-off switch on the tail.

* can also slightly depress the tail switch for tactical dead man's switch.

* light bulb is easily replaceable, and much more cheaper (about $4.95)

* Scorpion costs about $33+ tax.

SureFire 6P

* 6P has a quality metal body throughout, although Nitrolon versions are available.

* 6P has one of the whitest, fixed spot for any comparable sized flashlight.

* comes with tactical dead man's on-off switch on the tail, but SF offers a clickable switch.

* lamp assembly is going to cost about $15+ if you need to replace it.

* alternate high output lamp assembly is available.

* price hover's around $53+ for the 6P, but you can get its brother (G2 series) for $33+ tax.

* more options are abound for the 6P, available through accessories and the like.

I own a pair of Scorpions and a pair of 6Ps (and other misc SF 2-cells) - I think they're both reasonably comparable in quality and light output, my two minimum qualifiers for a tac flashlight. I've only replaced the lamp assemblies for the 6P and Scorpion twice, each. The 6P's damage was from operator abuse. The other two (Scorpion) were just plain burned out.

ahem... now, if you were talking about the Stinger, and not the Scorpion... ehhh, disregard. Thanks... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
The 6P has a Patented LockOut TailCap so that you can safely disable your SureFire for storage and transport.
The 6P also has an Anti-Roll Hexagonal style Bezel feature so that it stays where you put it.

If you want to compare a rechargeable flashlight to a non-rechargeable flashlight, it becomes more to do with which is better for you and your requirements.

Al

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. I currently have a SF6P but I have a friend that has a Stinger and said he would trade me if I wanted to. Is the stinger's light output as bright or brighter then the 6P? How about the rechargable battery on the stinger? Does it last long on a charge? He does have an AC and DC charger for it? Should I make the trade?

Thanks

Size15's

Flashaholic
I suggest you don't make the trade. Why does he want to trade? The Stinger is a workhorse duty flashlight. It's output is likely to be similar to the SureFire 8AX and that is with larger diameter reflectors, these rechargeable have more intense beams with more light output.

However, unlike a Lithium SF123A flashlight, NiCads are designed to be used all the time. If you don't intend to make full use of a duty rechargeable, I suggest you don't trade.

Al

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
I would have to agree, and don't make the trade.

I have a SL Stinger XT, and as durable as it is, it's definitely made to be a duty light. It is brighter than the SF6P, but drop a P61 lamp assembly in the 6P and they're both close to intensity (at least to my eyes, the P61 seems to put out more white light). The run time drops to 20 mins with the lithium batteries, but I only get 30 mins run time out of my Stinger anyway. Stinger battery maintenance is an issue, which reminds me, I really need to get crackin' on ordering a new set of rechargeables for my Stinger.

Ideally, you're going to be carrying an extra two sets of SF123 batteries anyway, so my opinion is, keep the SF6P.

Of course, don't get me wrong, the SL Stinger is a quality light, but my philosophy about lights is the same for guns. Don't trade, just buy more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />
.....but I only get 30 mins run time out of my Stinger anyway.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Dano is modding some 2400Mah NiCads for my Polystinger/Stinger HP. These will significantly improve runtime and are compatible with Streamlight's chargers

The relatively flat runtime of rechargeables is about to be challenged. AFAIK, the A2 will be the first commercially produced fully regulated incandescent. We are speaking of 47 minutes of bright, stable output in a very small light. Fed by newly affordable batteries, I believe that this light represents the vanguard of a revolution in portable personal lighting.

Brightnorm

arioch

Enlightened
If the Stinger being put up for trade is new or relatively new in good condition, I would trade your 6P for it.

1.)The Stinger offers rechargeability.
2.)The Stinger retails at about $80.00; The 6P retails at about $60.00.
3.)The Stinger HP upgrade is about $25.00; The 6P turbohead is about $50.00.
4.)If you do a straight up trade of your 6P for the Stinger, you can get a SF G2 for about $25.00-30.00, which is comparable with the 6P in size and function.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:
Dano is modding some 2400Mah NiCads for my Polystinger/Stinger HP. These will significantly improve runtime and are compatible with Streamlight's chargers

Brightnorm

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, that sounds great... I almost wonder if it's the fast charger that's running the load hot and just sapping all the staying power from the battery cells. No idea - I'm not remotely close to having any bona fide knowledge with rechargeables.