$25 Ray-O-Vac 4 watt 150 lumen Cree

IdahoDoug

Newly Enlightened
First a little clarification on this light. In previous threads several have mistaken the ROV Sportsman Extreme 3 watt AA for this light. To clarify, this is NOT the 3 watt Cree AA that's recently come on the market and is available nationally. It's a larger C body and the packaging says "4 watt" where the other one says "3 watt". This one is also a ROV Sportsman Extreme which lead to the confusion.

I got a pair of these today after impatiently waiting for WalMart to get them in national distribution which still hasn't happened. My brother sent them from Michigan where Meijers stores have them.

Took them outside now that it's dark and compared them to my Wolf Eyes 170 lumen Cree Explorer. In short, the ROV blows it away. Yes, the purists would note the ROVs construction is leagues below it. Yes, the purists would note the WE beam pattern is exquisite - an absolute model of ergonomic illumination - where the ROVs has a few artifacts. But stand outside 200 feet from your white home in the black Idaho night and the ROV leaves no doubt that it is 'brighter' in every sense of the word to a layman. It throws farther - markedly so. I am really blown away and frankly I feel a little awkward because I wanted to be reassured that the WE was superior and worth the money difference but I didn't get that result.

Now, which would I grab in an emergency? Which is less than half the size and weight? Which lets me choose a lower level of light to work on something without searing my retinas? Which fits on my weapons and would work with a handgun hold? And which is still going to be operating 15 years from now even if I drop it in the lake a few times and use it for a hammer? The Wolf Eyes.

But if you're looking to be blown away for $25, this thing's amazing. I don't know when these are going to be in national distribution but I cannot recommend the light any higher for something that you can knock around with or let your kids play with and not wince. Get one. Rip it out of the package, toss in 3 C cells and prepare to be amazed, because unless you recently spent a lot of money on a light this will be the brightest flashlight you own. It's a whole new ball game in flashlight-land.....

DougM

fstedie

Newly Enlightened
Re: $25 Ray-O-Vac 4 watt 150 lumen Cree changes everything.

do you have a pic of the light and/or packaging?

ispayboy

Newly Enlightened

Do hope that Walmart distribute them nationally. I have been eyeing this one for quite sometime now. Is there something we could do, like write or call somebody at Walmart or at Ray-O-Vac so that this torch would be seen on all Walmart flashlight counters?

Last edited:

KingGlamis

Banned

Great, just great. Now you guys are trying to entice me to buy a C-cell light, when I was hoping to keep my collection of lights C-free. What next, a light that takes 9 volts? :eek: :D

IdahoDoug

Newly Enlightened

Yes, the link points to the one I have - the 4 watt C version. You should also know that there's a review of this light and hopefully someone with better skills can provide that link because someone did a great job of doing pictures of a disassembly and a beam shot.

As to availability, I've been like a true flashaholic researching and trying to find this light before resigning myself to the brother link and FedEx charges to get my hands on them. Somewhere in the research, someone recently reported they bought theirs online straight from Ray O Vac though I myself never saw that link or ability on their website. Again, someone with actual skill might find that and post it here so others can get one instead of waiting while Billie Bobs across the nation keep randomly buying out the stocks and keep them out of the hands of enthusiasts like you folks.

I have already done some fun things with mine tonight. It will make a tired glow in the dark star above your child's bed glow ferociously. My 6yo son usually gets 2 questions about anything in life before he falls asleep and tonight was 'how do the smoke detectors work?'. Grabbed the ROV from my room, came back in and in the dark room explained they have a little light beam in them that detects smoke particles. Works like this - turned on the light in his dark room and we both could see dust particles in the beam all across the room. Patted his bed to show what smoke might look like and was rewarded with more sparkly dust particles in the beam to demonstrate.

Anyhow, great light for 3 times the price frankly. I'll be tossing the cheesy rubber grip cover which pulls off in 4 seconds if you stop to snicker, then wrapping it in some friction tape in an as yet unchosen cool color. The lanyard's going on my Kai Cree whose cruddy lanyard broke in about an hour.

I predict this light signals a sea change in flashlights, showing the enthusiast light makers and consumers alike the crap volume flashlight makers like ROV will now be able to provide the same lumen outputs and easily remain less than an LED generation behind. Hopefully, this will cause the quality enthusiast light makers to start concentrating on other things that really matter to us like better user interfaces for multilevels, focusing heads (whups, the ROV already has this...) light output color choices, insane durability, and other things to brag about besides mere lumen output. I didn't mean for this to sound preachy. I guess I want quality flashlight makers to see this light for what it represents in the LED segment because I want high end lights to keep getting better at the same pace as insanely bright volume lights like the ROV enter the marketplace at the bottom. I can't help but lay these lights side by side and shake my head in amazement. Hope the quality light makers are up late tonight doing this as well, and that they are drawing on napkins and putting their feet up for late night product development sessions....

DougM

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sure it is bright on fresh c cells... But it is likely not regulated like your WE, so run them for a few hours and watch as the ROV slowly creeps dimmer..

fluke

Enlightened

There is another thread on here somewhere, where it runs 10 hours plus without to much lose of output.

fishx65

Enlightened

I've been running mine on 3AA Hybrids since I got it about a month ago. Just shove some rubber tubeing down the barrel. This indeed is the first Cree to hit the mass-market and it's extremely bright! Seems to be very well made and durable. I'm sure someone will find an OP reflector to fit this one and make it even better!

big beam

Enlightened

C cells are a good thing.If you've ever been through a BAD storm c cells will still be in the stores when all the AA's and D's are long gone!
DON

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast

I saw these 3C lights at the local Meijer store in Illinois, but I haven't bought one.

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast

There is another thread on here somewhere, where it runs 10 hours plus without to much lose of output.

Hmm, package said 100 hours... That must be twilight mode.. :)

And as to the 'without to much lose of output'... I will believe that there is not too much loss of output when i see a graph. It is hard to perceive a halving or worse over the course of 10 hours..

MorePower

Enlightened

Barring the initial steep drop in output, due to this light's unregulated (there is a resistor) nature, the 50% point is reached at around 5.5 hours, and the 25% point is reached at around 17 hours.

Test was run using a Quickbeam-esque milk carton setup, which, at the very least, is considerably more accurate than an uncalibrated eyeball.

See my post in this thread for further info from my teardown of one of these lights.

SaVaGe

Enlightened

Yeah,that's the one and all I could find at Wally's in the Cook county(IL) area Walmarts at the the 45 lumens 2aa ones.

i live in illinois....which walmart??... i found 3 of them in Meijers!! i didn get one though.... i guess i should have....hmmmmmm

ispayboy

Newly Enlightened

i live in illinois....which walmart??... i found 3 of them in Meijers!! i didn get one though.... i guess i should have....hmmmmmm
Walmart at Forest Park and if you go to K mart that's next to it you'll also find the 2AA Sports Extreme 45 lumens torch in a diffrent package.

Target at the Chicago Brickyard(W. Diversey Ave) also carries the 2AA ones.

Last edited:

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've been happy with my SX 3W 2xAA until I saw this thread. I'm going to have to get one of these...

LED4evr

Newly Enlightened

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/170713

This is a great light for the price. Quality isn't that great, my lanyard already fell off. But it's bright and lasts a long time. I didnt notice much of a drop in output after 10 hours as my pictures show.

jbosman1013

Enlightened

I seen one yesterday a mijers and today my GF said she is going to buy it for me
buttrock.gif